Topics

Diesel Class

karkauai

Hi everyone,
Ric's suggestion that I call Jeff Leitch at BayShore Marine in Annapolis looks like it might pan out.

Jeff would like for all of us who are interested to contact him directly and let him know just what you'd like to get out of a diesel class.  BayShore Marine is a Yanmar dealer and would be using Yanmar engines for the class.  Those with Volvos would be learning the theory etc, but would have to translate it to their engines.
Please contact him at jwleitch "at" verizon "dot" net and give him an idea of what you'd like to learn.  Please copy to me at karkauai "at" yahoo "dot" com.

He doesn't think he'll have time this Fall.  How would everyone feel about doing it next Summer in conjunction with the Amel Rendezvous?

He doesn't think that tearing an engine down completely would be worth the added time and expense.  I told him I would like to have a better idea of how all the different parts work, and how to diagnose and troubleshoot the most common problems, what parts we should have in our spares, what special tools would be worth having, and some hands on experience with servicing the things we could repair or replace ourselves.

I don't have most of your contact information, and don't see a way to get it from this website.

Those who have expressed an interest so far:
Ross..............rossny at ymail dot com
Derick Gates........
Veit Mueller..........
Mike Ondra............
Mark Erdos..........
Jim DeSalvo...........
Kent Robertson........

Please send me your contact info.  Anyone else who is interested, please let me know.
Kent
SM243
Kristy

karkauai

AHi again everyone,
It looks like a private class isn’t going to happen.  I’d recommend looking at either the Mack Boring 2-day marine diesel owner’s class or the Annapolis School of Seamanship classes which are 2 day Basic Diesel and 2-day Level II Diesel class which goes more into troubleshooting.  Iris and I are signing up for the School of Seamanship classes this Summer.
Sorry I couldn’t get a private Amel class put together, but finding the facility, engines, instructors, and timing just didn’t seem to work.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

Mark Erdos

Kent,

If you plan to take Kristy there, you can stay in the city mooring field: 38°58'33.7"N 76°28'58.6"W This will be a lot cheaper alternative to the very expensive marinas in the area. It is first come first served so get there a few days before the school starts to get an outer buoy (for larger vessels). You will not have trouble getting a mooring on Mondays – Thursdays. Weekends can be iffy.

Use the public dinghy docks. It is a short walk to the school. Each of the numbered streets on the Eastport peninsular have free public dinghy docks. There is one located at the south end of 6th street. If it is blowing hard you can use the north end of 4th and walk.

You will find the school very educational and well worth the money.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - San Blas Islands, Panama

www.creampuff.us

It looks like a private class isn’t going to happen.  I’d recommend looking at either the Mack Boring 2-day marine diesel owner’s class or the Annapolis School of Seamanship classes which are 2 day Basic Diesel and 2-day Level II Diesel class which goes more into troubleshooting.  Iris and I are signing up for the School of Seamanship classes this Summer.
Sorry I couldn’t get a private Amel class put together, but finding the facility, engines, instructors, and timing just didn’t seem to work.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

karkauai