[Amel Yacht Owners] Interlux micron 66

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Hello Aras,

I have used Coppercoat exclusively in high foul areas of the Med; I have not had to clean my hull more than once a year and in my case, I do it with a long handled brush from the dinghy.

No cost as opposed to a haul out and anti foul.

Eleuthera is getting an epoxy primer then 5 coats of CC before we set off on our RTW.

Cheers,

Jean-Pierre
Eleuthera SM007

On 3 Oct 2014, at 13:08, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I have not used coppercoat, but I have three friends who have used it. Two love it, the third dislikes it.

The reason the third dislikes it is because coppercoat will require numerous hull cleanings and scrapings each year. The richer the water and the more tropical the climate, the more cleanings.

You may enjoy cleaning your hull. If you do, coppercoat may be for you. If not, and you apply it, you have just applied a coat of epoxy with some copper it.

I will admit, that I am not a fan of coppercoat, so be sure to get other opinions.

Oh, and there is a photo on the Amel Owners Group Yahoo website side-by-side of Micron66 vs Coppercoat. Each boat had application in New Zealand and the photo was taken 1 year later in Malaysia. Search photos for hull, antifouling,  or Micron66.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
sent from my tablet

On Oct 3, 2014 1:55 PM, "Aras Grinius n33077@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Instead of using Micron paints, has anybody ever used CopperCoat as a bottom paint?
Aras

Posted by: "Bill & Judy Rouse" <yahoogroups@...>

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

JP,

I believe that CC works well with 1 to 2 cleanings in the Med. I believe you will find a significant difference in the tropics...and round the world, you will be in the tropics almost all of the time. People I know cleaned and scraped 3 to 4 times in the tropics and required dive gear and metal scrapers. Some people enjoy this.

Like I said earlier, I am not a fan of CC, and take this into

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
sent from my tablet

I believe that CC works well with 1 to 2 cleanings in the Med. I believe you will find a significant difference in the tropics...and round the world, you will be in the tropics almost all of the time. People I know cleaned and scraped 3 to 4 times in the tropics and required dive gear and metal scrapers. Some people enjoy this.

Like I said earlier, I am not a fan of CC, and take this into consideration when reading my negative  comments.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
sent from my tablet

On Oct 3, 2014 2:25 PM, "Germain Jean-Pierre jgermain@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Hello Bill,

No offense at all;  I found CC to work well for me so far...

I will admit my error if the future makes you right and me wrong.

:-)

JP

[...]

Andrew & Kate Lamb

Bill / JP

I am very interested in this – we had CC on our last boat which was mainly on the west Coast of France and found it worked really well – we cleaned a light coating of grow off once a year.

I will be very interested to hear how it fairs in the tropics – we are considering applying this to our Amel next year, but don’t expect to leave the Med for a few years.

When I talk to local enterprises about it there seems to be a real mix of those that really like it and those that hate it and think it doesn’t work.

Andrew

Ronpische

SM2k 472

Canet en Roussillion, France

[...]

Reply to sender

Reply to group

Start a New Topic

Messages in this topic (4)

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Hi Andrew,

You may have a problem in France... I think it may be a banned product. (Eleuthera is in Turkey)(No problem there)

You will have to check it out

Cheers,

JP

[...]

Posted by: Andrew Lamb <Andrew.Lamb@...>

Andrew & Kate Lamb

HI JP

There is a team in Canet-en-Roussillon that apply it quite often, so seems to be ok in France

[...]

Messages in this topic (8)

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

good to know...

Thank you.

JP

[...]

Mark Erdos

We considered CC and are in warm water (Florida). I talked to a company representative who stated that most people who are unhappy with CC is because the paint was applied incorrectly. It is a process with little lenience. Few yards seem to really understand the correct procedure. This is an ongoing challenge for the CC company. Even the yards that are certified do very few boats and are not proficient with the process.

I asked the company representative to give me the name of a boat yard in Florida who purchases the most product from them. My logic being that this would be the yard most familiar with the application process. I was surprised when they didn’t really have a preferred location to which to refer potential customers. If we had gone the CC option, the local representative offered to oversee the paint application and “teach” our local yard the process.

CC does work well in warm water. If I remember correctly, if the boat is hauled and the CC paint sits for a few days while dry dock work is performed then the paint must be lightly sanded before being splashed. So, since an Amel requires a haul out about every two years anyway for drive, prop and bow thruster service, CC offers no real savings.  We opted for Micron 66. Dollar for dollar, Micron was the less expensive option and works well.

Best regards,

Mark

SM2K #275

www.creampuff.us

[...]

Andrew,

I believe that you will find that CC provides a epoxy barrier, but that organisms can grow on the epoxy.

Almost all other antifouling paints available to us today solve the growth issue by sloughing its outer surface. Soft ablative antifouling paints do this with friction created by water flow. Micron66 is a hard paint and does this on a molecular level with a chemical reaction to salt water. It will not work in fresh water and fresh water will somehow neutralize the active chemical in Micron66.

In my limited experience,  warm tropical waters will cause some growth on almost any antifouling. And again, based on what I have experienced and have seen, Micron66 is superior to all of them. It is also about the most expensive antifouling paint.

Most of  the sailors I know vigorously defend their choices when there is no solid evidence that one product is better than another. If you haven't experienced this, ask a room filled wih sailors what is the best anchor.

JP,
Send me an email from the tropics in year two.

I really wish the antifouling decisions were cut and dry, but they are not. In my experience, all the other haulout costs are more than the cost of the paint. So, the decision should only be made on performance and not cost.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
sent from my tablet

On Oct 3, 2014 3:07 PM, "Andrew Lamb andrew.lamb@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike Johnson

Hi All,

After using Micron 66 we opted for Copper Coat this.  Very pleased with the Copper Coat recommended yard, Projet Mer Bormes, France, who did the work.  Too early to comment on how well it is performing.

Mike & Peta

Solitude
SM2K 461

On Oct 3, 2014 1:55 PM, "Aras Grinius mailto:n33077@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Instead of using Micron paints, has anybody ever used CopperCoat as a bottom paint?
Aras

Posted by: "Bill & Judy Rouse" <yahoogroups@...>

Posted by: Andrew Lamb <Andrew.Lamb@...>

Gregory Shea

Andrew,
              Do you have contact info for the team in Canet-en-Roussillon?

Greg Shea
Sharki 133 Cap des Isles

[...]

For us I think it is more about time and convenience rather than cost, washing down with light sanding seems a lot easier and less messy to me than re-applying anti-fouling ever year. Based on our previous experience, it certainly seems an attractive option where we are at the moment.

On Oct 3, 2014 1:55 PM, "Aras Grinius mailto:n33077@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...<mailto:amelyachtowners@...>> wrote:

Instead of using Micron paints, has anybody ever used CopperCoat as a bottom paint?
Aras

Posted by: "Bill & Judy Rouse" <yahoogroups@...<mailto:yahoogroups@...>>

Reply to sender <mailto:yahoogroups@...?subject=Re%3A%20%5BAmel%20Yacht%20Owners%5D%20Re%3A%20Interlux%20micron%2066>

Reply to group <mailto:amelyachtowners@...?subject=Re%3A%20%5BAmel%20Yacht%20Owners%5D%20Re%3A%20Interlux%20micron%2066>