[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Propshaft wearing ring

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Bob's photo of the new wear bushing with stainless steel was just shown to Amel Mediterranean in France by a friend of mine. They say that they are not aware of this change.

I assume that Amel has very quietly rolled this change out.

I am sending a copy of the photo to La Rochelle today for some explaination. More, when I hear more from my friend in France, or Amel.

Just thought you would want to know.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
sent from my tablet

On Sep 28, 2014 9:18 PM, "sangaris@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bob,

Forgot to ask how much Amel charged, if you don't mind.
Craig
SN#68 Sangaris

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

In March, 2014 I ordered and received FROM AMEL a bronze wearing out
bearing that had a sort of Speedi-Seal stainless/inox facing on the
surface that the seals go over. I have posted detailed pics at Dropbox
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/1tompsdjss3rr0r/AACGUoVzzawY5RnlyKpnjwRga

When I get a chance I will try to post the pics on the Yahoo site.

I am thinking that Amel quietly changed their design for the better.
Has anyone else received one like this?

Bob,
SV KAIMI #429 currently in Cartagena, Spain

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

I received the following confirmation from La Rochelle regarding the photo of the wear bushing with stainless:

"(The photo you sent) is the only bushing we have today, it goes on all boats except Amel 64.

Regards,

Emilie BALLION in temporary replacement of Maud TOUILLET
AMEL Yard  / sav@... / 05.46.55.17.31"

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
sent from my tablet

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

In March, 2014 I ordered and received FROM AMEL a bronze wearing out
bearing that had a sort of Speedi-Seal stainless/inox facing on the
surface that the seals go over. I have posted detailed pics at Dropbox
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/1tompsdjss3rr0r/AACGUoVzzawY5RnlyKpnjwRga

When I get a chance I will try to post the pics on the Yahoo site.

I am thinking that Amel quietly changed their design for the better.
Has anyone else received one like this?

Bob,
SV KAIMI #429 currently in Cartagena, Spain

Derick Gates SM2K #400 Brava

Bill,

Question: Do you (or anyone else) know whether the old wear-out bearings and their seals can be "mix and matched" with the new wear-out bearing and seals, or are they incompatable in size?

Derick

SM2K #400 Brava

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Derick,

I asked that exact question among others to SAV today.

To my surprise the answer that I received the second time I asked was exactly opposite of the response I got the first time just a day ago. I am certainly not criticizing anyone, because anyone can make a mistake, anytime.

Here is what I think (key word,  think):

The bronze/stainless wear bushing that Bob Rossi received in March 2014 is either an abberation, a prototype, or something that is old. My last email to SAV informed me that the one Rossi received was the "old bushing." Here is the quote:

"" Sorry, my mistake, It is the otherwise. I hadn’t understood your question’s meaning.

On picture you sent, bushing is in steel chrome, it is the old bushing.

Today, it is a new supplier, we have the same one but in bronze. That’s the only difference.

For Amel 64, it is a bronze bushing too but in bigger size.

I hope my explanation are clearer.

Don’t hesitate questioning.

Regards
Emilie BALLION""

So, I am not 100% sure what is going on.

I will wait for some other people smarter than me to give assurances as to why Bob Rossi received a wear bushing from Amel made of bronze and stainless.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
sent from my tablet

Bill,

Question: Do you (or anyone else) know whether the old wear-out bearings and their seals can be "mix and matched" with the new wear-out bearing and seals, or are they incompatable in size?

Derick

SM2K #400 Brava

Andrew & Kate Lamb

Bill

This account I am afraid rather chimes with my recent experience with SAV and a linear actuator replacement – I was left with a distinct feeling of lack of confidence and felt it prudent to source the materials elsewhere.

Andrew

Ronpische

SM2k 472

Canet en Roussillion, France

[...]

karkauai

I've had similar experiences lately.  You will note that Emilie is answering most inquiries now, rather than Maud.  Big learning curve for her...Big difference.
Kent
SM243
KRISTY