[Amel Yacht Owners] Jabsco toilet seat hinges

Peter Forbes

Bill,

Good mooring - what fun it was in St Petersburg.

Please can you send me a link to the photo of the repair scheme for the toilet seat hinge.

Thank you.

Peter
Peter Forbes
Carango  Sailing Ketch
Amel 54 #035
Gouvia Marina - CORFU, Greece

On 27 Oct 2014, at 07:38, yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

For the second time in 10 years, the Jabsco toilet seat plastic hinge broke. Last time was in New Zealand. I could not find the correct hinge in New Zealand, so bought 2 new seats with hinges for about $150 each.

Five years later, same problem. I have discovered that Jabsco will change the design without changing the part number, making getting the correct hinge a big problem.

Anyway, for what it is worth, I discovered a way to repair the hinge that I believe may last longer that the 5 year life I have gotten so far.

I am uploading a photo today.

Bill

BeBe 387

Currently di Ragusa, Sicily

yahoogroups@...

Mark Pitt

Or you can buy a brand new one with  much better hinges for $11.84 at Amazon.  I have also seen these for sail in Malaysia. Full spec:

Bemis 500EC000 Molded Wood Round Toilet Seat With Easy Clean and Change Hinge, White

Mark Pitt
Sabbatical III, ASM #419, Kas, Turkey

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Mark,

That is great, but Amazon to NZ, or Amazon to Kas, Turkey will be a challenge...but, I know that you know that.

It was difficult to find the "hole center" measurement, but I did find that it is 5.5" in an answer to one of the questions.

As usual, if the product has "marine" in the description, it is at least 5 times the price of the same product without marine in the description....in this case 12 times!

Thanks again,

Bill
BeBe 387

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 8:00 AM, Mark Pitt mark_pitt@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Or you can buy a brand new one with  much better hinges for $11.84 at Amazon.  I have also seen these for sail in Malaysia. Full spec:

Bemis 500EC000 Molded Wood Round Toilet Seat With Easy Clean and Change Hinge, White

Mark Pitt
Sabbatical III, ASM #419, Kas, Turkey

On 10/27/2014 9:47 AM, yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:
Here is the link. Let me know if it does not work.

Ann-Sofie Svanberg <kanalmamman@...>

When ours broke, we almost fainted on the prize for new Jabsco seats. Realized that we could use seats to a normal toilet. No problems with the fitting at all and to a much more reasonable prize.

/Ann-Sofie
S/Y Lady Annila, SM232

Skickat från min iPad

27 okt 2014 kl. 04:38 skrev "'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>:

[...]

Craig Briggs

We found a plastic replacement made by Jabsco that (amazingly) was inexpensive and has a great design where there's a detent in hinge such that the seat and cover will firmly stay "up", even in a seaway. No more seat falling shut at an inopportune time, so to speak, or chafing on the stop on the wall behind. Sorry, but I don't have the model number or other reference.  It was about 20E at the chandlery in Marina di Ragusa last May.

Craig Briggs
SN#68 Sangaris