[Amel Yacht Owners] Jordan Sea Drogue-video in a hurricane

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Dear Eric,

Thank you for your comments.

I have Davits, solar panels and HF whip antenna installed on the stern… obviously, I will have to engineer a few “boat specific” changes to make it work well.  I will be on the boat in 3 weeks.

Your point is taken regarding the 147 cones … I will go for that.  I still dont want to go downhill astern on the back side of the wave… :-)

Anecdote: A friend was a tank commander in the past and if they missed a downshift (before auto trans in tanks) when going uphill, then the tank would start moving backwards down the hill… they did not like that as the brakes were not man enough to stop the beast … he called it “Mexican overdrive” and said it was not fun!

Many thanks,

Jean-Pierre Germain
Eleuthera SM007

On 25 Nov 2014, at 02:39, sailormon kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Dear Jean-Pierre,
I found that the best attachment points on the boat are the stern cleats.
I do not understand why you would want the bridles attached to the mid ship cleats. When you need to recover the drogue it is quite easy using a rolling hitch.
Have the sailmaker splice 2 large eyes in the end of the bridle to slip over the stern cleats.
You will need some heavy duty chay missed a shift fe gear for the stern chocks and where the bridle passes the backstays. You should also fabricate a block of wood with some bolts to cover the stern chocks when recovering the drogue as the chocks left alone will tear up the parachutes.

You will need at least 3 people to recover the drogue. One at the stern to guide the drogue, one on the winch , hand tailing and making sure the horn of the primary winch does not tear the cones, and a third person to press the winch button.

Recovering the drogue must be done slowly and stopping the winch frequently. If not the motor will over heat and the internal override will shut off the winch motor.

With respect to the number of cones I would go with at least 147 cones I have 156 cones on mine.
We were doing about 3 ½ knots in 65-100 knots of wind. I think with a lesser number of cones you would be going too fast.
This was in 50-60 foot seas.
As a PS this is not the first time we used the drogue.

See this video of a boat 150 miles closer to the coast than we were .
Almost at the end of the video you will see the helicopter just touch the top of a 45 foot wave. 7 boats were rescued in this hurricane with 1 fatality. Scroll down to see the video.
Fair Winds
Eric
Kimberlite SM 376