[Amel Yacht Owners] Super Maramu Jib Furling Specs Summary:

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Gary,

Did you get left hand or right hand thread turnbuckles?

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
sent from my tablet

On Dec 27, 2014 12:34 PM, "amelliahona" <no_reply@...> wrote:

Hello to all contributors to this forum:

I am headed to Antigua in a few days to install all new standing rigging on my Hulll #335 SM, built 2001.  I purchased the entire replacement rigging, right down to the clevis pins, from ACMO (Sylvie was extremely helpful) and it was air freighted from France to Antigua (3 days enroute, a week to clear customs and make its way to my boat).

I have been pursuing this forum for specifications on items I will need and thus far find the following:

Top Swivel Specifications: Torlon 10 mm ball bearings. (actual diameter on the Harken web site of 9.5 mm)  - Quantity:  26 balls per row, times two rows (total 52 balls) for the swivel at the head of jib sail foil.

Rivets for jib foil extrusion to furling motor swivel (the grooved cast swivel that engages the furling motor gearbox via a latching pin):  As I have searched this site I see that Joel Potter ind icates that Amel used Monel (also known as stainless steel) rivets.  I could not find that anyone posted the size of these rivets (both diameter and length).  Quantity required:  8

NEED TO KNOW:  Diameter and Length of these Monel rivets

If there are other specifications related to this job please chime in and I will compile them into a document that can be placed in the files section.  This hopefully will save members having to endure the cumbersome search that I just went through.

Best to all,

Gary Silver

s/v Liahona

Colin - ex SV Island Pearl

Hi Gary

Our boat #332 was on the production line just 3 ahead of yours in 2001 so we would be most appreciative to get the final detailed list of all rigging parts to order for complete replacement too once you have it done and your new rigging is successfully installed. We will probably use it to place precisely the same order in to re-rig Island Pearl II and would be most interested to hear how you went about it as we are hoping to be able to replace all rigging without dropping the masts but rather replacing one part at a time if that were possible.

We have used some of your past information posted on this site in the past and found it beautifully detailed, accurate and easy to follow so thank you very much for helping others on this site out in this way again. It has been greatly appreciated.

Fair winds
Colin & Lauren Streeter
Island Pearl II, SM#332
Brisbane, Australia

--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Dear Colin:

I will write a detailed document on alll things "SM standing rigging change" when I have a moment and better internet.  I will summarize what has been posted authoritatively on this site as well as my own experience.  Here is a brief account.  The rigging arrived on a 2.5 ft by 2.5 ft pallat in a box about 24 inches tall, wrapped in plastic wrap and all the end fitting were welll protected.  All parts right down to the clevis pins, washers and cotter pins were included.  Everything labeled in French and so the translations I provided in the files section helped us know where things went.  Weight was 130 kg.  The riggers I hired were knowledgeable having been on the job for many years but lacked in details relative to Amel and like so many things in the Caribbean less than completely careful.  Before work started I had to insist they use padded tools to prevent marring the chrome plating of the turnbuckles etc.  Even so they breeched the plating on a couple of turnbuckels and scratched the pain on my mizzen mast in a couple of places.  It required three riggers 20 hours to do the change out and I contributed about 8 hours myself removing the boomerangs, all the locking screws, positioning the various parts and doing the disassembly and re-assemblty of the foil from the socket of the manual jib furling fitting (drilling out 8 pop rivets and then the saga of getting the foil out of the socket, more to follow).  The riggers simply gave up on that project, and two engineers who I consulted suggested it that it was corroded in place and recommended cutting it off and buying a new manual jib furling fitting, (yeah right).  Indeed there was no/minimal corrosion and the joint finally came apart.  The rivets I purchased based on the info on this forum were too long and the head diameter too large and I had to shorten them using a Dremmel tool and mount them in a drill to file down the head to fit the counterbore recesses of manual jib furling fitting.  I will post specifications for the rivet length and diameter when I write it all up.  Plan on at least two people, three in some instances, and about 50-60 man hours to do the job.  Those on this forum who said it can be done in two days must be supermen.  If I were to do it again and time was no factor, I would do it myself with a hired assistant.  The masts are straight, the rigging is tight (far tighter than previously), I am told that things will stretch and indeed during a 7 hour sail yesterday in 22 knots I didn't see any of the sag in the leeward shrouds that I had previously been seeing (my rig had not been touched in 14 years since it left the factory).  Now the real question, did it even need to be done?  See my note on the Waddington Factor in another post.  This seemed to be an invasive process.  Perhaps I should have just tightened my existing rigging and carried on doing careful inpsections.

For specific questions please feel free to enquire.

Sincerely,

Gary Silver

s/v Liahon Amel SM 335

Eric Freedman