[Amel Yacht Owners] Water flow problem - Onan Generator

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Hello Bill et al,

I just spent the day at Onan UK learning about the MDKAL.  Another Amel owner was there… he had done the organising for this course.

If one wishes to do the cleaning himself, the instructor said that well diluted “brick cleaner” would do the trick in 10 minutes.

Remove the heat exchanger and immerse the unit in the above solution.  Rinse well then reinstall the component.

Basta.

Jean-Pierre Germain
SY Eleuthera, SM007

On 15 Jan 2015, at 13:37, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

JP,

I brought the heat exchanger to an automotive radiator shop. They cleaned it for me.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 10:57 PM, galacsea2000 <no_reply@...> wrote:

Bill,
What kind of acid do you use to clean the onan heat exchanger ? What concentration? Thanks
JP  Amel54

Posted by: "Bill & Judy Rouse" <yahoogroups@...>
.

Ric Gottschalk <ric@...>

Brick cleaner is generally a 5% solution of Sulfuric acid. Easily bought in gallon jugs at any hardware store mixed at that rate. Not sure I would want to “run-in-thru my engine and dislodging scale, only to clog somewhere else.

Ric

Bali Hai SN24

Annapolis

[...]

Reply to sender

Reply to group

Start a New Topic

Messages in this topic (9)

.

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Hello Ric,

The instructor suggested to place the heat exchanger in a suitable cleaning tray….

I should have said that also.

JPG

[...]

Posted by: Ric Gottschalk <ric@...>

Ric Gottschalk <ric@...>

I have to correct myself. It is 5%  Muriatic acid vs. Sulfuric. I am curious if there is any Diesel maintenance books that suggest this. Even if removed for cleaning.

Ric

Bali Hai SN24

[...]

Ric, et al

I think it only referred to as Muriatic Acid in the US. Other places will refer to it as Hydrochloric acid which is a solution of hydrogen chloride (HCl) in water.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 3:04 PM, Ric Gottschalk ric@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

sailormon <kimberlite@...>

Brick/concrete cleaner is Muriatic acid also known as Hydrochloric acid.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite SM 376

[...]

Giovanni TESTA

Hi to all,
every year I use white vinegar to fill water flow system both Yanmar and Onan for 24 H. No problem.
With Onan flow system it's also very important to check if the Mixer_ Part.No.18 155-3261-02 is not clogged with carbon deposit.
If yes, the impeller will last less and will collapse very quickly.
Buon Vento
Gianni Testa
sv EUTIKIA SM2K  428