[Amel Yacht Owners] Wind Generator

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Gary,

All I can tell you is that the vast majority of wind gen owners tell me that they wish that they had invested in more solar rather than wind.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
sent from my tablet

On Jan 24, 2015 5:55 AM, "bozocinq@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I am thinking of adding a wind generator. Looking for recommendations on Brand/model generator to look at.

Thank you,

Gary

Bozo Cinq, S/V 44 AMEL 54

Andrew & Kate Lamb

I agree with Bill and this was my experience on our last boat, I would not buy a wind generator again – it generated quite a bit of noise and vibration but not a worthwhile amount of electricity.

Andrew

Ronpische

SM2k 472

Canet en Roussillion, France

All I can tell you is that the vast majority of wind gen owners tell me that they wish that they had invested in more solar rather than wind.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
sent from my tablet

On Jan 24, 2015 5:55 AM, "bozocinq@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I am thinking of adding a wind generator. Looking for recommendations on Brand/model generator to look at.

Thank you,

Gary

Bozo Cinq, S/V 44 AMEL 54

Alan Leslie

Agree absolutely, we have a D400 mounted on a pole on the port aft corner.
The only time I noticed any benefit from it was on the way to Tahiti in 40+ knot winds.
Otherwise it contributes almost nothing.
540W of solar panels are being installed next week.

Cheers
Alan
SV Elyse SM437
Gulf Harbour

Colin - ex SV Island Pearl

Hi Alan

Would be interested to see how you will be fitting 540W of solar panels on Elyse? We do not yet have davits but have always installed these on all previous cruising boats so will be doing that sometime soon too. Our plan was to fit panels on both the davit arch and on the side rails similar to what Danny had done on his rails. Will be most interested to see a picture of what you have done when complete.

Agree with all the comments here about solar vs wind gens from past experience, however I am likely to watch the advancements in wind gen technology till just ahead of our mid 2017 planned departure date, as we certainly did enjoy the additional power source from those on previous boats, especially on windy nights.

Fair winds

Colin & Lauren Streeter
Island Pearl II, 2001 SM#332
Mackay, Australia

--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445

Jean-Pierre Germain <jgermain@...>

Hi gang,

We are having solar/davits installed now.

Same setup as per Bill (the Guru) Rouse. We expect 405w from 3 panels... Apparently good enough for 2 days at anchor without genset

Check for photos in the files

Cheers

Jean-Pierre Germain
Eleuthera, SM007

On 25 Jan 2015, at 15:50, Colin Streeter colin.d.streeter@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Colin,
Long time no hear...
I'm putting an arch on Elyse, just like Bill's, made by Riza in Turkey. The top frame is sized to take the three panels side by side.
I'll post some pictures when its done.
Cheers
Alan
SV Elyse SM437
Gulf Harbour

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi watching the solar V/S wind debate with interest. We were fortunate in that when we bought Ocean Pearl she had a spear on top of the mizzen for a wind generator.(but no wind generator) so that settled the site.  Second good fortune we were at the Annapolis boat show when we were looking so we went around all the stands and saw all the options. We chose the most expensive (x2 of some models) A 350 watt Super Wind (German Made) Self feathering blades so it would survive in extreme winds, super quiet, yet designed for remote shore locations where servicing would be difficult. We made the necessary mods to the spear, bolted it back to the top of the Mizzen with a thick rubber pad under it and ran a very heavy cable to the batteries to minimize voltage drop. Result superb. We quite literally never hear it. However it must be done right. Leave off the rubber between the spear and the mizzen and an unbearable thrum will  enter the stern cabin (as a friend with a mizzen mounted unpadded installation attested). Buy a cheap model and get what you pay for, noise, vibration but at least when it flies to pieces in a gale being so high up the bits may miss you.
Wind V/S solar. As Colin Streeter said we have rail mounted panels and are very happy with them.
Generally when we are living on board if conditions are unfavorable we run the gen set about an hour a day, may be two sometimes. Favorable conditions we don't need the gen set.
Gales tend to be cloudy, fine weather light winded, I like to have both.
The generator provides very little below 10 knots apparent wind, reasonable at 15, but 20 knots and above it pumps it in. 15 to 20 knots is pretty usual in trade wind anchorages.
So if you go wind, buy the right unit, install it correctly in the best location and I think you will be pretty happy. Do it wrong and you will be disappointed.

Repeat myself, don't expect any significant input below 10knots apparent wind, expect very good 20 knots and up. (I know there are some units that proclaim good light air output but I believe they are vulnerable in strong winds)
Cheers to you all and wishing you all a fantastic year of sailing your awesome Amel  wherever you are.
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl

[...]

Chris Flack

Hi All,

I am very interested in this discussion also and wonder why the prop generator hasn't been mentioned. On Hemera it begins working at about 4 knots.

I admit I still don't know all the workings and still find out more each day, especially reading this forum.

Cheers
Chris
Hemera SM031

Sent from my android device.

[...]

We don't have a prop generator, I think this was stopped this with SM2000 ??
Alan
SV Elyse SM437

Colin - ex SV Island Pearl

We have, on two previous, occasions designed and had built really sturdy and good looking davit arches here in Australia with both 3 solar panels (only 80W each in those days) and twin AirX wind generators. These were really noisy and our plan was to go with the SuperWind if nothing better comes along in the interim.

Alan, we will contact Rizza to see the cost of delivering one of those nice arches that Bill installed to Brisbane, Australia too. Previously I had thought the freight would make it not competitively priced in our part of the world however, since you are getting it delivered all the way down there perhaps I was wrong. Are these sturdy enough to lift a 3.1m aluminium bottom rubber ducky with 15HP motor on? We had this ability before and it was so handy when in smooth waters.

Thanks for the excellent rubber mounting top idea Danny.

Fair winds

Colin & Lauren Streeter
Island Pearl II, 2001 sm#332
Mackay, Australia

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 10:09 AM, divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

We don't have a prop generator, I think this was stopped this with SM2000 ??

Alan
SV Elyse SM437

--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Hello Alan,

I considered a shaft generator as well as Solar.  I concluded that the constant rotation of the dual 90 degree drive gearbox was too much wear and tear on this very expensive component.

I went to Emek Marine and they are installing an identical system to Bill Rouse’s Bébé on Eleuthera.

Having seen it in person, it looks lovely and sturdy… plus though the boat is on the hard under trees, it still keeps the batteries fully charged.  I expect good results at sea.

:-)

Jean-Pierre Germain,
Eleuthera, SM 007

On 26 Jan 2015, at 00:09, divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

We don't have a prop generator, I think this was stopped this with SM2000 ??

Alan
SV Elyse SM437

n33077@...

On my Sharki I have a solar panel 45W (?) prop generator, and a wind generator that were factory installed when she was built in 1988.  since Msr. Amel went to the Santorin, Maramu's etc, the Sharki was protoype for for self sufficiency.   Thus far, in the 9 months I have owned my boat I have had no troubles with getting GO juice whilst under sail or away from the dock.  Between the three, I seem to be able to meet my electrical needs.

No one system is better over the other; combined they provide a more comprehensive solution to electrical generation.  Yes I would like to add larger solar panels, but this may prove impractical.  For now the combined systems seem to be enough for me.

I did replace my batteries with AGM's and a new Batt charger.  650 AMP hrs are available. That said, Amel's are anything but energy misers.

Just my observations thus far....

Aras
S/V FIASCO
#163 Sharki