Amel 54 engine room airflow fan problem

ronheyselaar@...

Hi All,

I've an issue with both airflow fans (running when the Volvo Penta engine is running) not running. The generator exhaust fan is running perfectly fine but the main engine fans (in and out) for the air circulation in the engine room are not working.

The main switches in the junction box are both on and the wiring looks OK (i.e., no burns, corrosion, not hot, etc.). Actually it all looks like new.

The electrical diagrams of the 54 as issued by La Rochelle are a bit vague so not much help. It mainly shows that the fans are activated once the starter motor of the main engine is activated.

Before getting an expensive electrician trying to figure out how the whole system is wired and than repair it, I wonder whether somebody had a similar problem and, if so, how this was solved.

All the best from Barbados (here to get our US visa for our US East Coast adventure later in the year).

Ron, SY LILY Amel 54 #157

ESTELLER

Hi Ron. I never had this problem with ORION (54 hull 108) but I had it with SM 2000.

Did you check the fans by directly feeding their motors?

In my SM the two fans had the motors out of service.

Regards

José Esteller

Expert près la Cour d'Appel de Montpellier (H)

Expert près la Cour Administrative d'Appel de Marseille

Professeur à l'Institut de la Construction et l'Habitat (ICH)

Tel +33467844519 Fax +33467844521

jose.esteller@...

Ron Heyselaar <ronheyselaar@...>

Thanks Bill, Jose and Leo, thanks for the advise. Highly appreciated.

I've replaced all relays (have four of them all linked to each other) but the fans are still not working. It clearly seems a signal issue as the fans are working fine (have now changed the connection on the relay to the 'normally' open connection (87a) and can switch the fans on manually. The signal to change the 'normally' open (I.e No connection) to closed comes from somewhere at the engine but can't trace it far enough to see where it goes. We have an auxiliary alternator (140A) mounted on the engine which junction box houses the Mastervolt battery charger as well as two relays of which one seems to cater for the signal to start the fans.

The problem seems to be somewhere else. Will now have to find an proper electrician to check the circuits.

If anybody has any other suggestions, feel free to let me know.

Thanks,
Ron, SY LILY, Sint Maarten

ESTELLER

Hi  I did not think that the relays in the box in which is the regulator are in relation with fans.

I will be in ORION next week end end and I will look how the fans are connected.

I suppose that you check the fans connecting them directly to DC?

Regards José

José Esteller

Expert près la Cour d'Appel de Montpellier (H)

Expert près la Cour Administrative d'Appel de Marseille

Professeur à l'Institut de la Construction et l'Habitat (ICH)

Tel +33467844519 Fax +33467844521

jose.esteller@...

ESTELLER

Hi Ron

Look the photos of the fans relays. Regars