[Amel Yacht Owners] Maramu blisters

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Bob,

It could be triue, but I know for a fact that there are some certified crooks in the painting business in NZ.

What is the name of the guy who told you this, and the name of the business. Where is the business located.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
sent from my tablet

On Feb 23, 2015 8:39 PM, "bob.sarff@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I have some small blisters since I purchased me 1985 Maramu 7 years ago.  I've always been told that they were small and just cosmetic.

This latest haul out in NZ I'm being told that I should have a complete osmosis repair and it could take 2 1/2-3 months for the hull dr dry out after grinding and before 3 coats of epoxy can be applied.  The cost is estimated to be $25,000 nzd.

My question to other Maramu owners is, is this a common problem with older Maramu's?  Has anyone with a similar problem taken a different approach (like grinding the blisters individually yourself vs using a me jibe to skim off the entire chop layer of fiberglass.

Thanks for any input you can furnish.

Bob

S/V Chara

Hin 173

Chris Smither <yachtakwaaba@...>

Hi
On my Santorin 27  1990 ,a prospective buyer popped a blister! ( Without my permission!) he claimed it was osmosis. The hull has since been treated.
Gurus cleverer than me have said you need to test the liquid in the bubble to confirm.
Since then I have found a good article about osmosis..will try to send it to you.
Akwaaba complete with bottom job, new engine and batteries is for sale  in Phuket.
Get a second opinion on the bubbles.
Good luck
Chris Smither

On 24 Feb 2015, at 10:34, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Bob <bob.sarff@...>

I'm at the Norsand boat yard and so far have been very happy with their work.  The yard manager Peter is the one I've been talking with.  There are several boats here going through the process I've described.

Thanks for your comments.

Bob

On Feb 24, 2015, at 4:34 PM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Chris......

On Feb 24, 2015, at 4:49 PM, Chris Smither yachtakwaaba@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Paul Osterberg

I have unfortunately some experience with Osmosis, in fact two of my previous boats had osmosis.

First time I had it treated immediately I saw it. They “gently” sandblasted the bottom and after one could see numerous “craters” about 20 mm in diameter but the depth was not very deep at all, my and the yards conclusion after that was that I could have had the boat for many years without any problems at all. There was no weakening of the structure at all. The boat was treated and I had it for another 6-7 years without seeing any new blisters.

                           I bought another boat (well known type) from 1973 I think it was 2004, had it inspected for osmosis and it was declared free of osmosis, but already after the first year I saw some signs of osmosis, small like (volcanic) craters with some yellow dust on top of. At least in Sweden that I clear sign of osmosis, but you need to get close to see it. After my first experience I did not worry too much, but each year it get worse and worse and after three years you could see immediately after end season that this boat got blisters and a lot. I had a well-known professional yard looking at it and they said this was one of the worst cases they have seen. They sand blasted and washed with a lot of water the water wash is very important to take away all chemical residuals from the processes that cause the osmosis. Then the hull needs to dry out not from the wash but from all the water that had been adsorbed of the years. That can go fast or take very long time. In my case it toke ca 14 month, but usually not more than 3-6 month (Sweden not very hot and rather high humidity in the fall), my budget did not allow heated storage inside. Any conclusion from that? Well usually no problem with blisters, but if you treat it wash and dry very carefully before applying new coats of epoxy.

S/Y Kerpa

bob Sarff <bob.sarff@...>

Thanks for your comments.  I have many blisters and it seems that I will eventually need to deal with them.  When a blister is ground down there is an acid that comes out (we did a test on one).  In thinking that next summer in NZ will be the best time to do this.  I will return to Seattle for the holiday season and leave the boat to dry out.  Bob