Interior Upholstery

Derick Gates SM2K #400 Brava

Chris,

Yes, the saloon table in the picture drops down.  There is an electric switch in the lower left of the photo of the table that activates an up-down electric motor.  The telescoping pedestal is actually a surgical table pedestal installed by the previous owner. The table lowers onto two horizonal supports that are added on demand that run between the benches containing the chest type refrigerator/freezers.  After placing the additional cushions on the table surface it does make for a spacious "pad" - ideal for sleeping or watching TV.  The previous owners' 4 year old daughter used it as a play area and hosted many a sleepover on it.

Re: cockpit sleeping: when my sister sails with me she prefers to sleep in the cockpit, despite there being plenty of berths available. Chacun a son gout, as the French say.

Derick

SM2k #400 Brava

Currently in Sapphire Beach Marina, St. Thomas USVI

Paul Osterberg

The upholstery looks great, may I ask for the cost to change? We just bought a SM where it's soon time to change as well. we will probably convert to a saloon table that drops down, not for a bunk but just a nice and cosy place to rest when weather do not allow to do that in the cockpit.
Paul S/Y Kerpa

Derick Gates SM2K #400 Brava

Paul,

I have the records of the previous owner.  they indicate that to change "all the cushions and matresses" and upholster them in Alcantara cost 8,452 Euro in 2008. The work was done by Marine Sellerie in La Rochelle, France.  I do not have a further breakdown of that cost.

I think that in this thread Chris Flack had previously posted a cost of 2,400 Euro to make a permanent saloon table into a drop-down one.  Based on an extensive review of available SM's over the years, it appears that a minority of, but nevertheless quite a few, SM owners chose the option of a manual drop-down table at time of purchase.  As far as I know, the after-market telescoping central pedestal on Brava is unique.  According to the previous owner who had it installed, the cost was 4,000 Euro.

Derick

SM2K #400 Brava

Paul Osterberg

Thank you for the estimate, regarding the table conversion I got a rough estimate from Riza in Turkey of ca 3000 € for an electrical drop down table. and from a french carpenter 4.500 € for a manual drop down. We plan to go to Turkey this fall to have some job done the Solar arc, drop down table, etc. From the forum it looks as Riza will have a lot to do to fix old SM.
Paul on S/Y Kerpa