[Amel Yacht Owners] Contender sailcloth

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Eric,

I see nobody came forward with Contender info/recommendations.

I wish I could help you, but it is not a fabric I am familiar with. When I was researching sailcloth I found that the worse values were the "special" step up brand names offered by brand name sailmakers like North Sails, UK, and others.

As you probably know, Contender has several qualities, prices and constructions, so it is probably not reliable to just ask about the main brand.

When I was looking, I became impressed with the German company, Dimension Polyant and specifically their HydraNet sailcloth. This is what I ended up buying from a sailmaker in Izmir, Turkey. A full set of sails cost about 11,500 euro in a triradial cut with a few other extras. I think that Dacron was about 7,400 euro for a full set, triradial cut (what our Amels came with). The guy in Izmir ships all over the world.

Here is the hydranet link:
http://www.dimension-polyant.com/en/Hydranet_2_2_1.php

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
sent from my tablet

On Feb 24, 2015 10:27 PM, "sailormon kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I have been investigating a new set of Sails for Kimberlite.

The Contender sailcloth seems like a very nice cloth to use on a radial cut sail.

Any opinions?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Flavia Pozzolini

We got a new set in hydranet triradial for a fairly lower price with our sailmaker Banks in Leghorn (livorno, tuscany). It's really a good set and our SM has increased her performance in comparison to the original french set. I guess they can send the sails everywhere in the world. If any of you might be interested in asking for a quotation I may give the coordinates.

Andrea
SY Schiccherona SM 441

Inviato da iPhone

Il giorno 25/feb/2015, alle ore 19:55, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> ha scritto:

[...]

Paul Osterberg

Hello!
We will buy new sails for 2016 season as our newly bought SM sails are in poor condition, however will use this season to learn how it is to sail on own a SM before making major investment, our thought is hydranet triradial probably with circular profile battens to get a more stable leach. so please send contact details for Banks.
I learned that a sail cloth named Vectron are at lower price and have at least same "performance" i.e low stretch and good durability. Have any of you any experiences in VECTRON

Paul S/Y Kerpa

Flavia Pozzolini

Hi,
To all of you who are interested in having a quotation for new hydranet sails, I remind that there are two different hydranet fabrics: one is for crosscut and the other is for triradial cut (this latter with a lot of spectra inside and with a higher price). We got this second fabric for our sails.

The references for the sailmaker (connected to Banks Sail) are:
E-mail info@...
Mobile +39 392 2514971 Francesca
They are located in Leghorn (Livorno) Italy.
For those who are sailing in the tyrrenian sea I suggest to visit our base port Marina Cala de' Medici (15 miles south Leghorn).

Fair winds!

Andrea

S/Y Schiccherona SM 441

Inviato da iPhone

Il giorno 25/feb/2015, alle ore 21:35, osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> ha scritto:

Hello!

We will buy new sails for 2016 season as our newly bought SM sails are in poor condition, however will use this season to learn how it is to sail on own a SM before making major investment, our thought is hydranet triradial probably with circular profile battens to get a more stable leach. so please send contact details for Banks.
I learned that a sail cloth named Vectron are at lower price and have at least same "performance" i.e low stretch and good durability. Have any of you any experiences in VECTRON

Paul S/Y Kerpa

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

I am not sure about hydranet for crosscut because I was not going to consider crosscut.  But there are at least 3 different weights of hydranet.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
sent from my tablet

On Feb 26, 2015 11:30 AM, "Schiccherona schiccherona@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Dave_Benjamin

Crosscut HydraNet is really not much better than a good high quality Dacron when you look at the performance numbers. Most sailmakers don't use it.

Radial HydraNet is better but for the money there are better choices in cloth. I think since Radial HydraNet has been used so long people are hesitant to try anything else. Dyneema in a woven form suffers from creep. The principal advantage of HydraNet is longevity. Another advantage of any radial sail is that you can use lighter material in the luff.

Vectran is an excellent fiber, although misunderstood by many. HPV is a cloth that makes extensive use of Vectran and is becoming popular in the expedition cruising community. We're putting a set of HPV sails on a Deerfoot 61 with a very knowledgeable owner. HPV is engineered so that the Vectran is essentially encapsulated so UV degradation will take a long time. The properties of Vectran are well known and the cloth is actually engineered so that it takes into account what the strength of the Vectran will be after many years of exposure. It's analogous to an anodized spar where a thin layer of corrosion forms.

HPV is designed for crosscut construction and the cloth is fairly lightweight compared to a Dacron or typical cruise laminate. So you don't have all the waste that you have with radial construction where 30% of the material is in the dumpster.

Vektron is a specific cloth made by Challenge that uses a small amount of Vectran to improve shape-holding. It was formerly a product sold by Hood Sails but is now sold to any sailmaker who buys cloth from Challenge. It's a pretty good product. We used it on a main for a friend of ours with a Wauquiez 47. I was able to buy the cloth at a discount due to some oil stains that happened during manufacturing. So we paid about the same as we would have for a good Dacron. There's some better choices than Vektron in my opinion so we don't use it too often. Not a bad choice for someone who doesn't want to spend the big money for Radial Hydranet but wants better performance than Dacron, while sticking with a woven product.

---In amelyachtowners@..., <yahoogroups@...> wrote :

[...]

Bill,
You are right, Hydranet for triradial cut is on the market with different weights. The right choise is one of the sailmaker ' tasks. I was only reminding that there is also a version for crosscut which is cheaper but cannot  be used for triradial cut. We asked for triradial cut and our sails have indeed a really improved performance than the original ones.

Fair winds

Andrea

S/Y Schiccherona SM 441

Inviato da iPhone

Il giorno 26/feb/2015, alle ore 18:44, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> ha scritto:

[...]

Andrea,

Glad to hear it. We also used triradial cut Hydranet.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
sent from my tablet