[Amel Yacht Owners] Jordan Drogue

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Gerhard,

If Eric on SM KIMBERLITE does not answer, search "Conversations" for posts containing "Jordan Eric"

Eric has explained this in detail.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
sent from my tablet

On Mar 5, 2015 12:48 AM, "pepinoamel" <no_reply@...> wrote:

I am looking into buying a drogue from Ocean Brake UK.  Roddy recommends 147 cones.  I am still uncertain about the bridle arrangement.  In my case I have the Amel supplied boomerang davits that fold back onto the stern.  I presume the bridle has to go on the inside of the backstays and to the outside of the folded back davits.  I keep the dinghy on top of the back deck when travelling any distance.   I intend to attach the bridles with a soft eye on the back cleat and run them through the fairlead.  Ocean Brake recommends for the length of the bridles, 2.5 times the width of the attachment points.  I know some of you have a Jordan Drogue.  Could anybody tell me what the length of their bridle legs is to the back cleat and how do you protect the legs from chafing?  I'm worried about putting too much strain on the backstays when the boat yaws.  Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Gerhard Hoffmann

SM381, Pepino

Greece

pepinoamel <no_reply@...>

Hi Bill, Jeff & Eric,

I've read Eric's posts and what I'd like to know is the exact length of the bridle leg, as it appears to me that the 2.5 times width of the attachment points, ie. 1.83m width of the attachment points by 2.5m is 4.5m.   Standing on the pontoon behind the boat at that 4.5m point, it appears that I'm pretty much colliding with the backstays.  So, what I would like to know is if I should request those bridle legs to be shorter and if so, at what length.  Of course Eric's response and suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Gerhard Hoffmann

SM381, Pepino

Greece

sailormon <kimberlite@...>

The backstays are a problem but I would not shorten them. They really soften the stretch of the drogue and with sufficient chafe gear it will not be a problem.

The shock load on the  drogue is surprisingly small as the cones take most of the load. It is amazing to watch it work.  I am just finishing a monster snatch block that will pull the bridle away from whatever backstay is being rubbed by the bridle-Speak to dave about the length.

As chafe gear I use leather Velcro lined turnbuckle covers which were made by Edson. I further attach them with “zip” cable ties.

They have to be inspected and moved every hour.

You should also fashion some device to fit over the chock when retrieving the drogue. This will prevent you from ripping the cones while they pass over the chock.

Be careful with the horn of the primary winch as it will also tear the cones.

Finally you will need to give the primary winch a break every minute or so as the thermal overload built into the winch will cut out and stop the winch. The winch will have to be hand tailed as the drogue is too big to  fit into the winch jaws.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

I've read Eric's posts and what I'd like to know is the exact length of the bridle leg, as it appears to me that the 2.5 times width of the attachment points, ie. 1.83m width of the attachment points by 2.5m is 4.5m.   Standing on the pontoon behind the boat at that 4.5m point, it appears that I'm pretty much colliding with the backstays.  So, what I would like to know is if I should request those bridle legs to be shorter and if so, at what length.  Of course Eric's response and suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Gerhard Hoffmann

SM381, Pepino

Greece

sailormon <kimberlite@...>

I meant to say the bridles are a problem but I would not shorten them.

I've read Eric's posts and what I'd like to know is the exact length of the bridle leg, as it appears to me that the 2.5 times width of the attachment points, ie. 1.83m width of the attachment points by 2.5m is 4.5m.   Standing on the pontoon behind the boat at that 4.5m point, it appears that I'm pretty much colliding with the backstays.  So, what I would like to know is if I should request those bridle legs to be shorter and if so, at what length.  Of course Eric's response and suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Gerhard Hoffmann

SM381, Pepino

Greece

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Hello Gerhard,

I have a 157 cone drogue not 147.....  I would check with Roddy again.  The indicated number of cones on the Jordan site also says 157 cones.

The price for a Jordan drogue bought from Roddy is much less than the USA quoted price.

For Eric,

I am most interested in your giant snatch block.  Post piccies when done??  Also of your chafe preventers.

Many thanks,

Jean-Pierre Germain
SY Eleuthera, SM 007

Posted by: sailormon <kimberlite@...>

sailormon <kimberlite@...>

I have a 157 cone drogue not 147.....  I would check with Roddy again.  The indicated number of cones on the Jordan site also says 157 cones.

The price for a Jordan drogue bought from Roddy is much less than the USA quoted price.

For Eric,

I am most interested in your giant snatch block.  Post piccies when done??  Also of your chafe preventers.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/edson-marine--leather-turnbuckle-covers--P002_065_007_505

Made by Edson Marine- the company that makes steering pedestals-they last forever in 3 sizes. Must be put on with zip ties as the Velcro doesn’t hold.

The Snatch Block is still in production.

Fair Winds

Eric

[...]

Reply to sender

Reply to group

Start a New Topic

Messages in this topic (15)

jjjk12s@...

It seems appropriate to mention another useful website - http://www.usno.navy.mil/JTWC. the Joint Typhoon Tracking Warning Centre run by the US Navy.

Maybe it can help reduce the use of these drogues!

John, Maramu, #91, Popeye, Port Douglas, Australia