RACOR or Vetus dual fuel filter

Paul Osterberg

Hello again, hope I’m not tiring you with another question but as new Amel owner and just to start live aboard and go blue water sailing, all advice are most appreciated

We will replace the current fuel filter/water separator with a dual system, Either Veus  or RACOR. If the price where the same I would have chosen RACOR, but the price for Vetus dual fuel filter is half price of the RACOR System

Do any of you have any view on this? is it worth paying the double price for RACOR?

Paul on S/Y Kerpa

Alan Leslie

Agree with others, we have the dual RACOR filter setup, the RACOR filter elements are available just about everywhere...I carry about 8 on board just in case and replenish the stock as I change them.

The other things that are important regarding diesel fuel :

a Baja filter to filter suspect fuel BEFORE putting it into your tank - the West Marine (I don't like to promote them, but) filter came out best in comparison tests.

always put diesel bug inhibitor in the tank before you refill.

in tropical areas try to keep the tank as full as possible all the time, especially if you leave the boat sitting still for any length of time, o'wise condensation occurs on the walls of the tank and goes to the bottom of the tank, eventually it will end up in your filters

Good luck !

Cheers
Alan
SV Elyse SM437

Paul Osterberg

Thank you all
I will go for the Racor filter Water separator, are you using 10 or 30 micron filter?
The Baja filter I'w heard of, but does it not prolong the filling time quiet a lot? I'm in no hurry we plan to cruise with no time constrain, but the one in the ques might be impatient
Paul S/Y Kerpa

Alan Leslie

Paul,
We use 10 micron.....I don't know if it makes much difference, we try to keep the fuel going into the tank as clean as possible.

Yes the Baja filter does slow down refuelling a bit...but you could be a LOT more slowed down if you didn't use it !
Don't worry about the queue...they can wait ... the cleanliness of your fuel is more important than their timetable !
Getting water and/or debris in your fuel tank is more than a headache...it can be a nightmare...
EVERY precaution you can take to avoid it is worthwhile  IMHO

Good luck !

Alan
SV Elyse SM437