Shopping for a Maramu

zerotocruising@...

Hello everyone,

New member here. My wife and I are actively shopping for a Maramu 46. In addition to browsing the various threads here, I thought that we'd poll the membership for any issues that we should be on the lookout for when inspecting prospective boats. Should we actually purchase one, we'll no doubt be posting a lot more.

Thanks in advance for any help rendered.

Mike and Rebecca Sweeney

sbmesasailor

Mike and Rebecca,

Another reason to find a surveyor who knows Amels well is (as you will hear on this site repeatedly) you need to question and thoroughly investigate any changes made to the boat especially to the electronics, bonding, and rigging.  Some of Henri's designs were contrary to contemporary thinking but have been proven by the test of time.

One concern I had when we bought our Maramu was the purchase of the main sheet.  There was only a single block on the boom and that was the point at which the boom broke from fatigue (it did not occur as a result of an uncontrolled jibe).  Our new boom has three three blocks to distribute the load.  We also installed a Boomkicker (http://www.boomkicker.com/) to eliminate the inconvenience of the topping lift -love it.

Make sure the rudder has not been sealed by some clueless yard worker.  If the rudder doesn't "drain", you'll need to correct that.

Don't worry if the boat lists to port.  Fill the fuel tank and it will level out.  If there isn't a full complement of chain in the chain locker and an "oversized" anchor on the bow, the stern will squat a bit -not an issue other than inadequate ground tackle.

The faux teak deck will begin cracking in older boats exposed to years of tropical sun.  This can be corrected in several effective ways but none of them inexpensive.

Good hunting.

Dennis Johns
s/v Libertad
Maramu #121

zerotocruising@...

Thank you, Sir! I am paying attention.

With respect to Surveyors, is there anyone who is particularly recommended in the Caribbean?

Mike

rossny@mail.com

Hi Mike and Rebecca,
welcome to the world of Amel, i used a surveyor from Florida that was recommended by Joel potter who is THE Amel guy in n America and the first person to talk to in your search. His contract info: jfpottercys at att dot net or 954-8one2.2485. The surveyor is Paul anstey, email: : panstey at mindspring dot com.
I have been restoring a Maramu part time for the last 3 years and will be glad to answer any questions you guys have. You have taught me many things as I have been reading your blog since you passed me going south on the Hudson river many years ago and would love to return the favor. Only one thing...I hope you guys don't get
claustrophobic in a mono, your cats were huge! Good luck, it's a great boat and the help and knowledge and support you will get from this diverse group is well...amazing.
One love,
Ross (in NYC) (for my LAST winter)
Maramu # 261 1989

zerotocruising@...

Hi Ross

Thanks for the info, the offer to help and the kind comments! :) You needn't worry about us getting claustrophobic. Our PDQ cat is pretty tiny and we had no problem on her. In fact, we have been aboard a Maramu and thought that it was quite spacious. It is a little more "tippy" than we're used to but I'm pretty sure we can deal with that. :)

Mike

PS: Joel's name has come up often since we've started looking at Amels. I guess I should send him an email.