[Amel Yacht Owners] chain size

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

The most important issue with 3/8" and/or 10mm chain is the "pitch" which is the length of the link. 3/8 chain comes in two different pitches and if you do not match the gypsy correctly, you will have to buy a new windlass gypsy.

Most gypsies are marked. Go the the photos section of the Amel Owner's Group and search on chain, you will see a photo of a Lofranz gypsy marked 3/8 10 HD P 30.This is most likely what you have. But, you could have DIN standard which is a different pitch. Do some internet searches for DIN and ISO 3/8" chain and you will see what I am talking about.

The difference in pitch between DIN and ISO is small. If you cannot identify what your gypsy is, take it off and with you to shop for chain. When shopping, manually lay at least two feet through the gypsy to see if it lays properly. Remember, I said the difference is slight. When you are doing your research write down the different pitches so that you are prepared and maybe bring a micrometer to measure.

I hope this helps you.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+39 333 121 8115 Italy Mobile
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On Apr 17, 2015 3:00 PM, "n33077@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Just a quick question.....I removed and inspected my 300' of anchor chain. I have some suspect links (it appears the chain was never flipped end for end). Anyway on my sharki / lofrens tigres, the chain gypsy has 6 link wells and my measured chain is 3/8".

I spoke with Imtra, and now the question is the chain HT, BBB, or PC?  My guess is HT, but I need to confirm before I order new chain....Any thoughts?

BTW> if anyone wants to buy my old chain, $2 per foot for 275' of good chain.  I'll whackin off the about 30' off one end.  I'm in Annapolis area and can drop off.

Thanks,

Aras

Sharki #183

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Hi Bill:

I have just been re-reading the various posts on the forum on anchor chain.  I appreciate your insights.  It would appear that Liahona (hull #335) was originally outfitted by Amel with 10mm HT (high test)  ISO 4565 chain.  This is a G40 (Group 40) chain that gives a working load of 7,200 lbs (as best as I can determine).

The only marine chain that I can find in the USA is ACCO chain (now owned by Peerless).  It is listed as 3/8 inch ISO chain with and inside link length of 1.220 inches that converts to 30.988 mm.  In fact Budget Marine St. Martin list this chain as 3/8 in ISO P31, whereas our gypsy (as originally supplied by Amel) is a P30.

Any thoughts on the 0.988 mm difference in pitch making a difference.  I know the DIN 28 mm Pitch doesn't fit the P30 gypsy.

Anybody else out there purchased and used ACCO 3/8 inch ISO HT P31 chain with the original Amel Lofrenz gypsy?

Gary Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000  Hull # 335
Lying St. Thomas

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Gary, in about 2006, we added about 25 meters of this Budget Marine chain with a P31 pitch to our original chain to give us 100 meters for Pacific anchorages. It ran fine with our P30 original gypsy, although we rarely put out more than about 74 meters.

When we were in Turkey we replaced the chain and the gypsy with 10mm DIN.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+39 333 121 8115 Italy Mobile
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On Apr 17, 2015 7:36 PM, "amelliahona" <no_reply@...> wrote:

[...]

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Hello Gang,

I know the gent who publishes this site..  loads of anchor/chain info.

Cheers,

Jean-Pierre Germain
SY Eleuthera, SM 007… still in refit…!

On 17 Apr 2015, at 20:35, amelliahona <no_reply@...> wrote:

[...]

Jean-Pierre Germain,
Chief Pilot, Cozuro Limited,
+44 7551 211 511
jp.germain@...
jp.germain@...

karkauai

I recently purchased 300 ft of G40 3/8" HT from 1st chain supply.  Good price, shipped quickly, nice chain.

Kent
SM243
Kristy

On Apr 17, 2015, at 1:35 PM, amelliahona <no_reply@...> wrote:

[...]

VLADIMIR SONSEV

Hi Gary,

I want to buy 3/8 " G4 ACCO chain. I have original P 30 gypsy. Is it going to work? Did it work for you?

Vladimir Sonsev
SM 345 "Life is Good"
Annapolis

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Vladamir,

Be careful, your gypsy is cut for a pitch of 30mm and the chain you are looking at has probably a pitch of 31mm. Pitch is the measurement of the inside of the length of a link.

American chain is made mainly to ISO G30 and G43 standards with longer links that may not fit European gypsies. I believe that Lofrans makes a gypsy for 10mm (3/8") that has a 31 pitch.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Sun, May 29, 2016 at 11:19 AM, sonsev52@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Gary,

I want to buy 3/8 " G4 ACCO chain. I have original P 30 gypsy. Is it going to work? Did it work for you?

Vladimir Sonsev
SM 345 "Life is Good"
Annapolis

VLADIMIR SONSEV

Bill, thanks for your email and for good information.

That problem was discussed before, but I could not find the conclusion for this discusion.
I hope that someone already tried that. It is less expensive to buy US chain.

On May 29, 2016 8:07 AM, "'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Vladamir,

Be careful, your gypsy is cut for a pitch of 30mm and the chain you are looking at has probably a pitch of 31mm. Pitch is the measurement of the inside of the length of a link.

American chain is made mainly to ISO G30 and G43 standards with longer links that may not fit European gypsies. I believe that Lofrans makes a gypsy for 10mm (3/8") that has a 31 pitch.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Sun, May 29, 2016 at 11:19 AM, sonsev52@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Gary,

I want to buy 3/8 " G4 ACCO chain. I have original P 30 gypsy. Is it going to work? Did it work for you?

Vladimir Sonsev
SM 345 "Life is Good"
Annapolis

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Vladimir,

I may be wrong, but I think that you have two options that you may not have considered:

Buy a new gypsy from Lofrans to match the 31mm pitch...I think that Lofrans makes 3 different 10mm gypsies. They are around $200 each.

Or buy US chain that has a 30mm pitch...it is available.

Or, buy thw chain that you are looking at with 31mm pitch. Try it. If you don't like the way it works in the gypsy, then buy a Lofrans 31mm pitch gypsy.

Either of those are viable options.

One other remark about new chain: Whenever you install new galvanized chain, it will not begin to run smoothly through the gypsy until it has passed through the gypsy about 10-15 times. The reason ia that there will be small chips of zinc breaking off the chain as it passes through the gypsy. This is my experience and others that I have talked with about new chain.

BTW, I am fairly certain that most Americans don't realize the difference in pitch that is available in 10mm (3/8") chain. Most just buy what us available and if it is off by 1 or 2mm it just skips a little in the gypsy.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On May 29, 2016 9:45 AM, "Vladimir Sonsev sonsev52@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Bill.

On May 29, 2016 6:11 PM, "'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Hello Vladimir,

There is an excellent source of information here...

http://coxengineering dot sharepoint dot com/Pages/Anchoring.aspx

Jean-Pierre Germain
SY Eleuthera, SM 007

On 30 May 2016, at 01:11, Vladimir Sonsev sonsev52@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

jlm@jlmertz.fr

link  https://xa.yimg.com/df/amelyachtowners/Anchor+Chain%2C+Galvanized+dimensions+and+calibration.pdf?token=7z6yNGvoPMYUkDwt0xdjJBOuVpIUpoiyt49bj3chz57iEG95E8VOccCgw4laT54Xaiur1kD8Cx0T3tUjLRPGbXF3dvC5DteNKo_xML4RXaKuOg8iKdmOF9ZJp0dpDpf0V8iB-CMMwHY_vA_mZdA_uYIMtEkFbXySp6wLsvkeYyn3bA&type=download

is wrong !!!!
jlm

Garanti sans virus. www.avast.com