[Amel Yacht Owners] Converting Maramu fridge/freezer to water cooling

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Graham,

Welcome to the "club" and the Group.

I am going to answer your question indirectly. I hope that is OK with you.

My first piece of advice is sort of like the "Prime Directive" which is don't attempt to "change" anything on your Amel to make it "better" until you have lived on her for at least a year and three years is best. This Prime Directive may not fit your refrigeration question, but I will get to that shortly. Unless you have owned an Amel, you will not have the deep appreciation for the design and systems that Captain Henri Amel has given each of us. Most of us have gained that appreciation over time. I was discovering some small features that made me say, "WoW" at five years ownership.

Now that I have said what almost all of us believe, let me comment on your refrigeration. First, I am not an expert, so what I am passing on to you is based on my experience. I cruised the Caribbean for several years with air cooled refrigeration. The benefit that I had over those with water cooled refrigeration was:
  1. When I hauled the boat for maintenance and antifouling, I did not have to empty the refrigerator or freezer.
  2. Each of the boats that I met had many difficulties with the growth of fouling inside their systems to include barnacles, other creatures and stuff. It was a constant problem and a bigger problem in certain areas.
Refrigeration has improved since your Amel was made. Yes, water cooled is more efficient than air, but tell me the daily amperage you use now and what you expect. Depending on your refrigerator, you may find ways to improve the efficiency of your current system. And I am betting that there is a Maramu owner here that may have a suggestion for you.

I hope that I do not come across too arrogant, but I am a Texan and it is in my DNA...some things cannot be helped. ;)

Good luck and fair sailing on your Maramu. Remember to "respect the sea" ~ Henri Amel

And, remember to "respect the Captain (Henri Amel)" ~ Bill Rouse

Best,

Bill
BeBe 387

On Sun, Apr 19, 2015 at 9:41 PM, cresswell_graham@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I have just acquired a 1988 Maramu and am new to this list.

Does anyone have any experience of converting the Amel fridge/freezer to sea water cooling?  I am in the Caribbean and air cooling isn't particularly efficient.

All advice appreciated.

Graham Cresswell

S/Y Jamesby

hull number 240

Graham Cresswell <grahamjcresswell@...>

Many thanks Bill,

I quite agree that it's a mistake to launch into any significant or irreversible change before you're certain that it will amount to an improvement and I'm certainly not at that point yet. However, there are various things on the boat that will probably (but not certainly) need to be changed and I like to think long about these things. Since I sent my post I have been rummaging through the archives and one suggestion that had not occurred to me is the possibility of using the fresh water in the keel as the coolant, which I think would address you points 1 and 2. I can see significant advantages over sea water but I'm not sure quite how the plumbing would work. I hope that will become clear.

With kind regards

Graham
S/Y Jamesby
240

--
Remember...

We're currently paying  1,000,000,000 (yes, a billion pounds)
every week in interest payments on Gordon Brown's credit card.
Well, it was our credit card but he had the pin number.
Labour's plan is just to up our credit limit.
Please don't let them do it - vote Conservative.

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Hello Graham,

I just went through the same reflections.  My take was different from Bill’s... though I agree with his point regarding life while on the hard.

I wanted to reduce leccy consumption in order to have more days without running genset.  We began with a review of all electrics and decided to change the refrigerator to a 2 drawer 135 liter keel cooled model.

It gets its shake down in early June in Turkey.  I will report my findings after some use.

Cheers,

Jean-Pierre Germain
SY Eleuthera, SM 007.

On 21 Apr 2015, at 17:55, Graham Cresswell grahamjcresswell@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good afternoon,

I wasn’t going to write on that, but why not…
I was given the same advice to wait at least a year before to change anything and I totally agree.
What in my mind thought was necessary, end up not to be, etc. Over 2 years later, the only modifications I really did was adding some shelves in the closet, and cut opening to store parts under the bed and behind the batteries (I will post pictures at some point).

Regarding the water cool fridge/freezer.
I have the original Frigoboat which is “air cooled”, I am very happy with it, just had to change the thermostat recently.
They do have a model that is both Keel (water) cooled and Air cooled. You really should read about it.
So you will be water cooled in the water and you have the option to become “air cooled” when on the hard, etc.

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
finishing repair/maintenance Dania Beach, Florida

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Converting Maramu fridge/freezer to water cooling
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 12:13 PM

[amelyachtowners] wrote:

[...]

or freezer.Each

wrote:

I have just acquired a 1988
Maramu
and am new to this list.

Does anyone have any experience
of
converting the Amel
fridge/freezer to sea
water cooling?  I am in the
Caribbean and
air cooling isn't
particularly efficient.

All advice appreciated.

Graham CresswellS/Y Jamesbyhull number
240

via web post

Reply to sender

Reply to group

Start a New
Topic

Messages in this
topic
(3)

Visit Your Group

New Members
1

• Privacy • Unsubscribe • Terms of
Use

Posted by: Germain Jean-Pierre
<jgermain@...>

via web post

Reply to sender

Reply to group

Start a New
Topic

Messages in this
topic
(4)

Visit Your Group

New Members
1

• Privacy • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use

Graham Cresswell <grahamjcresswell@...>

Alexandre

Many thanks.  I understand that it is possible to convert the Frigoboat to keel-cooled and, presumably, that also means that it's possible to use the fresh water tank in the keel to perform the heat exchanging without the disadvantages of additional perforation of the hull and the introduction of salt water into the refrigeration system.

There are obviously several avenues to pursue.

With kind regards
Graham
M240 JAMESBY
on the hard, Rodney Bay, St Lucia

To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 12:13 PM

wrote:

[...]

Merci Jean-Pierre

I won't be doing anything before then so I'll await your report.

With kind regards

Graham
M240 JAMESBY

On 21/04/2015 13:13, Germain Jean-Pierre jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

[...]

karkauai

On SM243 the cooling water for the AC comes from the manifold at the sea chest.  No additional thru-hull. I assume you could do the same thing with the refrigerator if you decided to use a sea water cooked unit.  I really like the idea of using the fresh water tankage as coolant, but I've been very happy with the air cooled units.  I'm not going to change the original system.

As long as diesel is readily available, running the genset for an hour or so twice a day is not an issue.  We wash clothes, make coffee, blow hair dry, and heat the water during our normal recharging times.

Kent
SM243
Kristy
SplashDown Tomorrow!!!

To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 12:13 PM

wrote:

[...]

Good morning Graham,

I think I read on the forum someone use his fresh water tank to cool down his freezer.
This sounds like a good idea, not sure what minimum level of water you need in your tank when the boat heels 15 degree, etc.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Sincerely, Alexandre

To: amelyachtowners@...