[Amel Yacht Owners] Weight/displacement

karkauai

Kristy was 20 tons loaded when hauled in Trinidad a few years ago.
Kent
SM243

On May 2, 2015, at 12:47 PM, osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I’m wonder if someone has weighted an Amel Super Maramu when putting it on hard standing or similar? According to the Amel brochure the weight is 14 ton “empty” and 16 ton loaded. To me this looks very low, some comparison

HR 53                                            23 ton

Najad 520                                    20 ton

Oyster 485                                   17 ton

Oyster 51                                     21.7 ton

Sweden Yacht 42                        12 ton

All of the above are probably “empty” weight as very few builders give any other figure than empty boat.

I’m very curious what’s the real weight is

Paul on S/Y Kerpa

seafeverofcuan@...

Dear Paul,.
               19.6 tons.wet,fully equipped for ocean crossing. The folklore is, had you purchased an early one, The Captain only sold them by weight, so you would have been sure to know.
Regards,
Trevor Lusty
Seafever of Cuan
SM 425 Redline
Mexico
For Sale

Paul Osterberg

Thank you all
20 ton loaded sounds to my experience more reasonable, and I agree it's easy to overload. We are currently clearing off all our belongings after have sold our house. We have lived together for almost 30 years and collect fare to many things most of the not necessary at all, now we only save a few things for memory and some useful items for our kids which they could have use for when starting a family.
We are currently loading a few (3) pallets with the remaining gears that we think we have use for under an undefined numbers of years aboard our Amel SM, at least half of it for the boat, tools, spare parts, outboard motor, ropes, etc cruising books, old classic books I never had time read, our cloth, guitar, and some household goods, all in all probably close to 1 ton of goods, My first thought was that one pallet would be enough, but now it looks as it will be three full pallets??????. In the worst case I have to throw away some items when loading the boat and find I have brought to much "nice to have" which I today consider need to have. I'm just entering the beginning of the learning curve of living aboard and cruising
Regards
Paul on S/Y Kerpa

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

We reduced the “useless clutter” to a minimum for the boat.  In fact, this was our starting point and we filled 3 large commercial bins when we took delivery of the boat last summer.  We continued the clear out this winter and again last month; we removed all electronics and replaced with modern kit.  100’s of feet of worn out rodes, halyards and sheets were also given the hiho.

However, we added a gantry with solar panels and davits… we think we’ll be under 19t when done.  She’ll be weighed next time we haul out…

We are keeping a small apartment because the GF/Admiral is indeed a “hoarder”.  … but she’s cute!

What can we say?  :-)

Jean-Pierre Germain,
SY Eleuthera, SM 007

On 3 May 2015, at 11:25, osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Ann-Sofie Svanberg <kanalmamman@...>

We haven't weight ours properly, but the crane in Gilleleje, Denmark which was for 18 tons could only lift us without diesel, water, beer (!), dinghy outboard etc.

Take your stuff aboard now, after a while you will,sort things out and get rid of it. Don't know how much "good-to-have" things we have left behind in garbage bins along the road. But I think it has to be like this, because you don't know how it is to live on a boat with minimal amount of things. And the amount of minimal things changes over the years.
Looking forward to meet you out here again soon.

/Ann-Sofie
S/Y Lady Annila, SM232 present at the Azores

Skickat från min iPad

3 maj 2015 kl. 10:26 skrev "osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>:

[...]

Alan Leslie

I think we are probably close to 20 tonnes judging by the position of the waterline, which is original, under water for the last 5m towards the stern.
Friends with a 54 told us that on the haulout scale they weighed 26 tonnes and their waterline is submerged from about 5m from the bow.....
Alan
SV Elyse SM2K

Paul Osterberg

To follow up on an old thread
We just hauled out and they claimed the weight of our Amel SM 2000 was 25 ton,with  half full water tank and diesel tank
Sounds a little high to me, but I think I heard on one of the Delos videos that they had a similar weight

Paul on S/Y Kerpa SAM#259

Ann-Sofie Svanberg <kanalmamman@...>

Wow, you must have filled her with really heavy stuff. Our, fulltime liveaboard packed SM is between 19 and  20 tons. With full diesel, water and a dingy.

/Ann-Sofie
Lady Annila SM 232, 1998

Skickat från min iPad

1 feb. 2016 kl. 18:16 skrev osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

To follow up on an old thread
We just hauled out and they claimed the weight of our Amel SM 2000 was 25 ton,with  half full water tank and diesel tank
Sounds a little high to me, but I think I heard on one of the Delos videos that they had a similar weight

Paul on S/Y Kerpa SAM#259

Paul Osterberg

No I do not think so, when looking at the water line it looks as if she is not overloaded except stern heavy, and that she list ca 2 degree to port.
I think it's probably something wrong with the load cells they are using, I asked today when they were lifting a Catamaran, the owner expected 13 ton , but came out 18 ton.
We will however adjust water line to have it a little bit higher ca 10 cm at the stern and keep the hight at the bow
Paul on S/Y Kerpa SM#259

Ann-Sofie Svanberg <kanalmamman@...>

When we raised our waterline, we started midship and raised 1cm/meter which gave us +10 cm in the aft. We didn't expand the waterline under the aft, what ever that area is called, and that we regrett.

/Ann-Sofie
S/Y Lady Annila SM232, 1998

Skickat från min iPad

2 feb. 2016 kl. 09:56 skrev osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

No I do not think so, when looking at the water line it looks as if she is not overloaded except stern heavy, and that she list ca 2 degree to port.

I think it's probably something wrong with the load cells they are using, I asked today when they were lifting a Catamaran, the owner expected 13 ton , but came out 18 ton.
We will however adjust water line to have it a little bit higher ca 10 cm at the stern and keep the hight at the bow
Paul on S/Y Kerpa SM#259

Paul Osterberg

Thank you for that input, we will raise it and have the yard to make a "proper" waterline aft
Paul on S/Y Kerpa