[Amel Yacht Owners] bow thruster zincs for 54

Peter Forbes

I bought these from Amel - can’t recall price but could check next week if you like.

Peter
Peter Forbes

Carango  Sailing Ketch
Amel 54 #035
Travelling West in Mediterranean

On 4 May 2015, at 13:06, jmkraus@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I'm currently hauled out, and returned to the boat to finalize plans to launch.

I noticed that there are 2 zincs on the bow thruster propellors. Mine are about 1/3 gone, and I was wondering if any 54 owners have found a source other then Amel to get them. I'm going to see what I can find here in Charleston, but they look like they may be a custom item. I will make sure the screws come out easily so that they can be replaced while in the water, in any case/

Jeff 54 #14 Spirit

JEFFREY KRAUS

Peter Forbes

Jeff,

I had the change done by EMEK Main in Turkey so I can’t describe the detail of the seal.

Peter Forbes
0044 7836 209730
Carango  Sailing Ketch
Amel 54 #035
Travelling West in Mediterranean

On 4 May 2015, at 18:31, jmkraus@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks Peter, but I think I'll be able to get them.
The Sidepower bowthruster is a popular unit, and the manager at the boatyard expects to be able to get them.
BTW, have you replaced the seals on your thruster yet?
If so, could you describe briefly , the process if you can.
It appears there is a wearing seal (similar to a shaft seal) that is housed inside the base where the shaft goes through the hull.
This seal appears to be fine. Considering that the shaft only goes up and down through this seal very rarely, I can't see how it wears much at all, and I've decided to leave it.
The donut seals that Amel sells seem to be a secondary seal. I don't think, looking at the condition of the current one, and considering that the thruster didn't leak at all, I wonder if it acts more as a cushion between the bottom of the thruster unit, and the top of the area where the main shaft seal is.
Anyone with a 54 please fell free to chime in on the seal changing process, and the seals themselves.
Jeff 54#14 Spirit