[Amel Yacht Owners] autoprop zinc

Eric Freedman

Jeff ,

Do not put the zinc on the prop.

As the zinc wears it becomes loose and causes vibrations on the shaft. I also ordered one from AB marine in Massachusetts and that is what I encountered. So unless you want to dive on the prop from time to time and tighten it. I would skip it.

As you recall my prop is fine after 13 years. I think you would be better off with a guppy over the side

Fair Winds

Eric

Sent: Monday, May 04, 2015 2:16 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] autoprop zinc

While servicing the autoprop, I noticed that the manufacturer calls for a zinc, located where the plastic end cap is.

Instructions provided by Amel (off the site I believe) show removal of the PLASTIC end cap, with no mention of a zinc.

The marina manager is familiar with autoprops, and says that a zinc is needed there. He's ordering one, so it must fit in. The zince shown looks just like the end cap.

To be continued.......

Jeff54#14 Spirit

JEFFREY KRAUS

Eric Freedman

Jeff,

I use nothing on the prop.

I just have it dived every 3 weeks along with having the bottom cleaned.

Eric

Sent: Monday, May 04, 2015 9:32 PM
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] autoprop zinc

Eric,

That's the way I'm going with it.

BTW...my prop looked fine too.

Jeff 

On Mon, May 04, 2015 at 09:22 PM, sailormon kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

Jeff ,

Do not put the zinc on the prop.

As the zinc wears it becomes loose and causes vibrations on the shaft. I also ordered one from AB marine in Massachusetts and that is what I encountered. So unless you want to dive on the prop from time to time and tighten it. I would skip it.

As you recall my prop is fine after 13 years. I think you would be better off with a guppy over the side

Fair Winds

Eric

Sent: Monday, May 04, 2015 2:16 PM
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] autoprop zinc

While servicing the autoprop, I noticed that the manufacturer calls for a zinc, located where the plastic end cap is.

Instructions provided by Amel (off the site I believe) show removal of the PLASTIC end cap, with no mention of a zinc.

The marina manager is familiar with autoprops, and says that a zinc is needed there. He's ordering one, so it must fit in. The zince shown looks just like the end cap.

To be continued.......

Jeff54#14 Spirit