From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Sunday, May 10, 2015 2:01 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Water Heater replacing the electric heating element

I should remind you what I forgot yesterday. When replacing the heating element on a Isotemp Basic 40, be sure to order a gasket. A gasket should come with the element, because it will certainly need replacing. Isotemp does NOT include a gasket.

BTW, my experience is that these heating elements will last about 6 years, then they will crack, or develop a pin hole which will cause a group fault and that will trip the GF breaker on the side of the 220VAC panel and/or shore power.

I had two other issues and the second one of these I am asking for advice:

1.) When I removed the element from the water heater, I used a wet-vac (yes, Bob Rossi) to get all of the sediment out of the water heater. When I examined the content of the wet-vac, I found about 6 large wire-ties....mostly just the big ends of the wire-ties and about 10mm purchase of the small end. These were loose in the bottom of the tank. Has anyone experienced this? My guess is these were used in the manufacturing process and left in the tank.

2.) After the work was complete, we started the water pump and bled the air out at the galley sink. The air came out, all is fine on all taps except I can get almost no hot water flow at the galley sink...everywhere else is fine. Obviously, some trash, or a piece of wire tie is clogging that hot water line somewhere. I know it is not the water spray wand at the galley sink that is clogged, because cold water flows fine.

Any thoughts?

I am going to start looking in a few hours.

Bill

BeBe 387

On the hard Malta MIYY

yahoogroups@...

Eric,

Thanks,

Your suggestion is what should be done if done 100%correctly. I cheated.

I tried a shortcut (me?) that worked. I assumed that the blockage was probably at a ball valve and several pieces of stuff rather than one big piece. I turned off the water and bled the water pressure. Then I removed the galley sink wand from its hose, turned the regulator on the facet to HOT, and used some compressed air to blow the stuff backwards through the wand hose. Then, I turned on the water pump with the galley sink tap fully open to HOT, and out came all of the stuff.

I do not know about anyone else, but I have a air nozzle that I can attach to my dive tanks for cleaning things like carburetors and now galley sinks!

Bill
BeBe 387
Currently Malta on the hard at MIYY

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Hi Bill,

I wish to get an air line as you have.  What did you use?

Kind regards,

Jean-Pierre Germain
SY Eleuthera SM 007

On 10 May 2015, at 09:44, yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Posted by: yahoogroups@...

yahoogroups@...

JP,

I went to a dive shop and told them that I wanted two things:
A fifty foot hose that would attach to my dive tank regulator and a an air-jet nozzle that I could attach to the other end of the hose. I told them I also wanted to be able to attach my octopus to the end of the hose for a quick dive on the propeller, etc.

They sold me what I needed with quick-disconnects to use the new 50 foot hose as an extension so that I could dive without kitting up, leaving the tank on deck...AND...I can attach an air-jet nozzle to that same line for general compressed-air projects on the boat. Of course, a strong jet of air is needed nowadays to clean the reconstituted corn that is left in the outboard engine carburetor by ethanol which is added gasoline. grrrr.

Bill
BeBe 387