[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: battery drain output

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Trevor,

In my experience you are high, unless you are speaking of consumption while sailing.

We abuse electricity and are less than 200amps at 24VDC for 24 hours at anchor. We are about 350amps at 24VDC when sailing. Both examples above include 1 fridge and 1 freezer which combined consume about 100amps per day.

I have an Excel workbook that I designed to predict the break even of a solar panel installation. Several of the tabs in the workbook deal with amp consumption of a SM. It is not user friendly to those not very familiar with Excel. I can add it to the files section if it is wanted.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+39 333 121 8115 Italy Mobile
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On May 23, 2015 9:45 AM, "seafeverofcuan@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill,

      General rule of thumb 20amps per hour at 24 volts. However there are a number of variables.
Number of crew members.My figures are based on two people on board.
 Wind strength and sea conditions determine power required for the autopilot.
Charging only with the Onan approximately five hours in twenty four.
Which all equates neatly to the power available in your battery bank in my case 650 amps at 24 volts giving me a little reserve.
These are very general figures  and can alter considerably  depending where you are sailing.
e.g. cooler latitudes , more heat required, lower fresh water production from the water maker etc all require more power.

Regards,

Trevor

Seafever of Cuan
SM 425 Redline
Mexico
For Sale

< /div>

seafeverofcuan@...

Hi Bill,
        My rule of thumb is directed at sailing. Wind, sea conditions, colder temperatures and what the crew get up to when the skipper is off watch being variables.
On long passages I think it is well worth using the engine for larger sail changes,also it clears the exhaust manifold.
When anchoring I always start the engine rather than use battery power for the windlass.
I think I have that Excel from when you added the solar panels, but it would be a really a useful reference if you would post it.
Many thanks.
Trevor

Seafever

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

OK, I uploaded Solar Panel Breakeven analysis and SM2k amp usage.xlsx to the FILES section Miscellaneous folder

Bill
BeBe 387

On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 1:14 PM, seafeverofcuan@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

        My rule of thumb is directed at sailing. Wind, sea conditions, colder temperatures and what the crew get up to when the skipper is off watch being variables.
On long passages I think it is well worth using the engine for larger sail changes,also it clears the exhaust manifold.
When anchoring I always start the engine rather than use battery power for the windlass.
I think I have that Excel from when you added the solar panels, but it would be a really a useful reference if you would post it.
Many thanks.
Trevor

Seafever

Colin - ex SV Island Pearl

Thanks Bill

A great file with so much very useful information again. You have saved me hours of measurements and calculations.

We now have our new davits & solar frame from Riza and will be installing these soon with 2 x 260w 48v solar panels so this information is very helpful indeed.

One question... I see you recorded your power usage in 2008. Did you have LED lights all round at that time or were they all the original bulbs? I think this would make a significant difference to the night usage if this was based on non-LED fittings.

Colin Streeter
Island Pearl II, SM#332
Brisbane

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Colin,

The only LED I have is tricolor and anchor...the rest is all original.

I am glad the workbook helped you...play with it, it can do some powerful stuff.

Bill
BeBe 387