[Amel Yacht Owners] AMEL 54 Bamar Furler

Peter Forbes

Alex, in my humble opinion as a new (2 years) Amel 54 owner this yacht is simply the best blue water cruising boat on the market. It is a tragedy that Amel stopped building this brilliant model. I was concerned before my upcoming circumnavigation about the Bamar furlers so I replaced them with Reckmann. These seem very good and reliable.

Good luck with your decision.

Peter Forbes

On 18 Jun 2015, at 15:32, alexramseyer@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi AMEL54 owners,

I'm considering buying an AMEL54 and occasionally followed some interesting conversations in this group. One of the topics that struck me was the Problem around the BAMAR genoa furler. As I haven't read about this recently, I'm wondering if that problem has been solved? If yes - how? Is is safe to sail remote with this furling system? If yes which exact release would you recommend? Which spare parts should be taken on board?

Thank you very much for your advice,

Regards, Alex

mario.rognoni@...

Hi Alex,

I am the first owner of a 2009 Amel 54 (# 130) and first time contributor to this Forum, although I have been following it for many years.

In 2010 the electronic control boxes (“Boxtron) of the Bamar furlers started behaving erratically. They were later removed by the Amel SAV. Two years later I asked if a replacement was available, but was told that they were still working on it. I then contacted Bamar directly and, after acknowledging the poor reliability of earlier control boxes, they assured me that all issues had been sorted out. However, I am still waiting for a replacement of the Boxtron control boxes from Amel, but I suppose they have other priorities know.

Apart from that, we have used both furlers extensively (that is in the Med where sail furlers have a lot to do ...) with the “simpler (I suppose electromechanical) control box and never experienced any problems. So far I have never had to replace any parts. Only once did I open the gearbox of both furlers to check the grease.

Regards,

Mario (S/V “Arethuse”)