Autohelm ST7000 will not leave Standby

eamonn.washington@...

Hi

I have been following the forum for 6 months in preparation for buying our Super Maramu, #151.  Here is my first post, after our 2 week shakedown cruise!

The Autohelm ST7000 worked for an hour but since then failed to leave "Standby".  The rudder angle appears correctly.  Wires seem OK.  Also noteworthy to mention is that the original GPS display also fails to switch on, and it is connected to the SeaTalk bus.

I guess I should replace the GPS anyway.  I guess the ST7000 should be able to work without it (I can't figure out why it would need the GPS in the first place, Fluxgate and Rudder should be enough?).

I read all references in this forum to ST7000 but not being able to leave standby was never mentioned.  Any suggestions?

Eamonn
SM #151

peacock@...

We have had similar problems with our 7000; the problem is intermittent; I sometimes can solve it by rapid (or rabid) pressing of various orange buttons on the control, which usually will get it working. We have also had it stick in the active mode, and can only break out by throwing the breaker.

My sense was that the contacts under the orange keys may be corroded; the SeaTalk bus could also be at fault.

Considering the age of the unit (16 years), and it's worthiness on a long voyage, we are replacing with Raymarine EV-400 and multifunction display (which can communicate your desired course with the auto helm). Total purchase price $3,550 US. Peace of mind, priceless.

Tom Peacock
SM2K #240
Rock Hall, MD

eamonn.washington@...

Thanks Tom

my next question was going to be what is the most suitable kit to replace it with.  I am still hoping that the original (20 year old) st7000 could be made to work, then keep it as a backup and install a second independent one.

Eamonn
SM #151

Craig Briggs

HI Eamonn,

I have just replaced mine and have the old equipment available - please see private email I sent you.

Cheers,
Craig Briggs
SN#68 Sangaris, Ft Lauderdale