[Amel Yacht Owners] Thank you Kent !!! Loose bolt in C-drive and broken spurrs

karkauai

Hi Eric,
There wasn't anything sealing the top of the bolt on Kristy.  It was exposed and looked to be in fine shape.  Makes me wonder if the CDrive had been removed before I bought her.  I put some waterproof grease (lanocote) on the threads before bolting it back down.  Since I'm on the hard again, I'll be interested to hear what Olivier says about sealing it.

Are you able to wiggle the lower drive side to side at all?  If so you may need new rubber bushings that go between the stainless sleeve and the "foot".  There are two pieces of rubber hose (one big enough to fit snugly over the other) that go into the hole in the foot.  The steel sleeve goes inside the smaller hose, and the bolt goes through the sleeve.

Kent
SM 243
Kristy

On Jul 11, 2015, at 7:25 PM, sailormon kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi,

I hauled Kimberlite today to fix some water intrusion in the C-Drive.

After reading what you had done and some of Olivier’s explanation as to what was hiding under that black silicone button on the foot of the C-drive.
I cur away the silicone and found the bolt in question. I was amazed to find that it was loose enough that I could turn it with my fingers. I tightened it with a 30 mm socket that I use for the prop puller.

I was wondering if it can be removed and put a thread sealant on it, Also, in the past when I used a lot of silicone to close something up , It took many days to harden. Is there something special that you used to seal the bolt?

When taking the spurs line cutter off the shaft I also noted that one of the two small cap screws was missing along with a piece of the spurs unit.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

eric freedman

Kent,

My C-Drive bolt was sealed with a rubbery substance and was slightly domed at the top , I always thought it was a rubber cap for something.

I do not understand what you are speaking about with respect to the bushings.

Could you Please direct me to a drawing of the drive. I know it is somewhere on our site.

[...]

I can't surf the net right now, Eric.  I'll find it tomorrow.
The hole in the lower CDrive (what I'm calling the Foot) where the bolt goes through is about 8 cm in diameter.  The bolt goes through a stainless sleeve (thin, less than a mm thick with a collar at the top).  Between the sleeve and the foot are two pieces of rubber hose, one inside the other, that fit snugly around the sleeve and snugly into the hole through the foot.  They absorb any shock when the drive is put in gear, and vibration when running.  If you can wiggle the foot back and forth when the bolt is in place, those rubber bushings are worn and should be replaced.  The Foot should be immobile when bolted to the keel.

There is a rubber washer between the bottom of the foot and the keel that I guess should keep water out of the threads, but I'm skeptical that it's tight enough to do the job.  I don't really see what good the sealant does on top of the bolt, since it is going through the sleeve and is also "protected" from below by the iffy rubber washer.   Like I said, on Kristy there was no sealant on top of the bolt and it looked like new.  I don't know what kind of thread protector was used before, but the bolt held firmly and came out without too much difficulty.  I'll see if I can find it, but I think the instructions from Amel said NOT to use a thread lock.
More tomorrow.
Kent
SM243
Kristy
Currently Deltaville VA

[...]

Thanks!

I will check it tomorrow.

When do you think you will be heading up this way?

[...]

My son is bringing his young family to Deltaville for a little sailing on the Chesapeake from the 17th til the 23rd.  Will leave shortly after that and go straight to Cape Cod.  I've got a couple guys from OPO to help do that 3-4 day sail.  Will cruise that area until the first week of Sept then start hopping South thru Newport, Long Island  Sound to NYC by early Oct.  then down to Brunswick or Fernandina befor the first of Nov.  after Christmas will go to Turks and Caicos, then Key West, ?Cuba, and New Orleans (sister and nieces live there).  Passage from there to Central America end of May.
Where are you going to be? Hope we can meet somewhere.
Kent

[...]

I can't find that pic now either.  You'll see when you remove the bolt completely.
From the center of the hole out it's bolt->SS Sleeve
->Rubber sleeve-> Bigger rubber sleeve.
If there's no movement of the foot from side to side, just replace the bolt with some waterproof grease on the threads and, to quote Craig, "Bob's your Uncle".
Kent

[...]

No movement,

Just greased it and torqued it down.

Thank you,