[Amel Yacht Owners] Digest Number 4016

Ron Heyselaar <ronheyselaar@...>

I will not have any internet or email connection the next couple of days (at least). Will reply as soon as I’m back online. Ron

On Jul 26, 2015, at 24:58 , amelyachtowners@... wrote:

----------

Amel Yacht Owners - Forum for owners of Amel sailboats Group

15 Messages
Digest #4016

1a
Re: Tonnage by "peter killen" peter.killen@...

1b
Re: Tonnage by divanz620

2a
Super Maramu 2000 Salon Interior by svbebe

2b
Re: Super Maramu 2000 Salon Interior by svbebe

2c
Re: Super Maramu 2000 Salon Interior by "Steve" cptbiffi

2d
Re: Super Maramu 2000 Salon Interior by cflack10

3a
Re: Bow Thruster motor solution by alain_feuillet

4a
Re: Dessalator Water Maker Auto Rinse by gatesfrederick

5a
YANMAR 4JH4-HTE EXHAUST MIXING ELBOW - PLUG AND ZINCS by simpatico_amel_maramu

5b
Re: YANMAR 4JH4-HTE EXHAUST MIXING ELBOW - PLUG AND ZINCS by "Mark Erdos" captain_cucumber_head

5c
Re: YANMAR 4JH4-HTE EXHAUST MIXING ELBOW - PLUG AND ZINCS by "Mark Pitt" markmpitt

5d
Re: YANMAR 4JH4-HTE EXHAUST MIXING ELBOW - PLUG AND ZINCS by "sailormon" kimberlite1212

6
YANMAR 4JH4-HTE TURBO SERVICE KIT by simpatico_amel_maramu

7
Eberspächer D5 Installation by svperegrinus

8a
Re: Engine mountreplacement by joemac4sail

Messages
1a
Re: Tonnage

Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:15 am (PDT) . Posted by:
"peter killen" peter.killen@...

Eamonn
Can you send me your email address and I shall send you a pic of the document
Regards
Peter
SM433

Sent from my iPhone

On 24 Jul 2015, at 14:34, peter killen <peterkillen@...> wrote:

Hi Eamonn
Yes it is a red line sm but otherwise I think exactly the same as your one from a survey point of view
I will forward you a pic of the official document
Regards
Peter
SM 433
Pure Magic

Sent from my iPhone

On 24 Jul 2015, at 12:51, eamonn.washington@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Peter

Great. Is that a SM Red line? I guess it won't be much difference to a 1995 SM, but lets see what the Irish Survey office says. Could you email me a copy of your tonnage certificate?

You have already helped me enormously!

Thanks
Eamonn
SM #151

Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (8) . Top ^

1b
Re: Tonnage

Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:15 am (PDT) . Posted by:
divanz620

Hi Peter, Could you post the pic on the forum...? please ?
I for one would be very interested to see this as I have had registration problems vis a vis surveys / tonnage certificates also.
Cheers
Alan
'Elyse SM437

Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (8) . Top ^

2a
Super Maramu 2000 Salon Interior

Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:24 am (PDT) . Posted by:
svbebe

We are in Barcelona and replacing all of the salon interior cushions. So, in about two weeks we will have the original cushions for anyone who may want them. They are in reasonable condition with no tears or holes. They need cleaning. They are made of UltraSuede and is a beige or light tan color. If you want these and are in the area, they are yours.

Bill
BeBe
387

Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (4) . Top ^

2b
Re: Super Maramu 2000 Salon Interior

Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:33 am (PDT) . Posted by:
svbebe

Someone has spoken for the cushion covers.

Bill
BeBe

Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (4) . Top ^

2c
Re: Super Maramu 2000 Salon Interior

Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:26 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
"Steve" cptbiffi

Hi Bill, I'll send you a mail. I am ready to change mine!

Il giorno 25/lug/2015, alle ore 17:24, "yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> ha scritto:

We are in Barcelona and replacing all of the salon interior cushions. So, in about two weeks we will have the original cushions for anyone who may want them. They are in reasonable condition with no tears or holes. They need cleaning. They are made of UltraSuede and is a beige or light tan color. If you want these and are in the area, they are yours.

Bill

BeBe

387

Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (4) . Top ^

2d
Re: Super Maramu 2000 Salon Interior

Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:42 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
cflack10

Hi Bill

Just out of interest, what are you putting in?

Cheers
Chris
Hemera SM031

We are in Barcelona and replacing all of the salon interior cushions. So, in about two weeks we will have the original cushions for anyone who may want them. They are in reasonable condition with no tears or holes. They need cleaning. They are made of UltraSuede and is a beige or light tan color. If you want these and are in the area, they are yours.

Bill
BeBe
387

Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (4) . Top ^

3a
Re: Bow Thruster motor solution

Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:17 am (PDT) . Posted by:
alain_feuillet

Andrew,
special thanks to you, because we overheated the motor 6 months ago, during a critical manoeuvre (hum... quite some smoke), and I had not the courage until now to open, check and inspect it. Next September, during the annual ship overhaul, I know now how I will open the motor and check what may have happen....
Thanks again and fair winds
Alain
SM PILGRIM

Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (3) . Top ^

4a
Re: Dessalator Water Maker Auto Rinse

Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:48 am (PDT) . Posted by:
gatesfrederick

Thanks Bill. Very clear.

Derick
SM2K#400 Brava

Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (2) . Top ^

5a
YANMAR 4JH4-HTE EXHAUST MIXING ELBOW - PLUG AND ZINCS

Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:48 am (PDT) . Posted by:
simpatico_amel_maramu

Hello to all, the original YANMAR 4JH4-HTE EXHAUST mixing elbow has a plug with a hex screw cap, does anyone in this Group know what this is for? Secondly, has anyone installed a zinc on this elbow? I´ve read about corrosion issues and the ridiculous price of a Yanmar spare. Alex Paquin
SIMPATICO
Older Maramu 1981 #94

Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (4) . Top ^

5b
Re: YANMAR 4JH4-HTE EXHAUST MIXING ELBOW - PLUG AND ZINCS

Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:38 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
"Mark Erdos" captain_cucumber_head

Alex,

The plug is not for anything. It might have a function for an engine other than the 4JH4. There are no zincs located on the Yanmar engines installed in Amels.

Yanmar made some improvements to the elbow and has since used a thicker metal (aluminum?). They did not change the part number but cross referenced it. It is still stupid expensive. But, they now last longer than the original design.

Here is a less expensive stainless steel option: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yanmar-Stainless-Steel-Exhaust-Mixing-Elbow-4JH3-HTE-4JH3-4JH4-DTE-/331327810253

With best regards,

Mark

Super Maramu 2000

Hull #275

www.creampuff.us

Currently cruising the Chesapeake Bay

Hello to all, the original YANMAR 4JH4-HTE EXHAUST mixing elbow has a plug with a hex screw cap, does anyone in this Group know what this is for?

Secondly, has anyone installed a zinc on this elbow? I´ve read about corrosion issues and the ridiculous price of a Yanmar spare.

Alex Paquin

SIMPATICO

Older Maramu 1981 #94

Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (4) . Top ^

5c
Re: YANMAR 4JH4-HTE EXHAUST MIXING ELBOW - PLUG AND ZINCS

Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:08 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
"Mark Pitt" markmpitt

The plug is for an optional temperature sensor.

Mark
Sabbatical III
SM #243

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 25, 2015, at 9:38 PM, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

------------------------------------
Posted by: "Mark Erdos" <mcerdos@...>
------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (4) . Top ^

5d
Re: YANMAR 4JH4-HTE EXHAUST MIXING ELBOW - PLUG AND ZINCS

Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:58 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
"sailormon" kimberlite1212

Alex,

There is an incredibly beautiful cast stainless steel elbow available on ebay for that engine.

I installed one. It is a beautiful casting with the ends machined.

Looks like it will last forever.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Hello to all, the original YANMAR 4JH4-HTE EXHAUST mixing elbow has a plug with a hex screw cap, does anyone in this Group know what this is for?

Secondly, has anyone installed a zinc on this elbow? I´ve read about corrosion issues and the ridiculous price of a Yanmar spare.

Alex Paquin

SIMPATICO

Older Maramu 1981 #94

Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (4) . Top ^

6
YANMAR 4JH4-HTE TURBO SERVICE KIT

Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:51 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
simpatico_amel_maramu

Can anyone advise if there is a rebuild kit with seals and bearings for the YANMAR 4JH4-HTE turbocharger? If so, is there a part number for this kit?
Alex Paquin
SIMPATICO
Older Maramu 1982, #94

Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (1) . Top ^

7
Eberspächer D5 Installation

Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:52 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
svperegrinus

Nautic-Elec just completed an installation of a diesel heater on Peregrinus. Nothing out of the ordinary, as No. 350 already had the Amel forced ventilation system; essentially, the two original Jabsco fans get cut out, and the heater is installed where the fans originally went. The factory ducting in the locker is then upgraded to heat-shielded ducting; a diesel line and a little pump must also be fit, and the heater requires a combustion exhaust which forces perforation of the hull about a meter above the waterline.

Some random items learned during the process:

1. Newer Super Maramu 2000s had the air inlet relocated to the base of the little portside locker at the base of the mizzen mast. We used the old inlet in the backrest of the long portside bench; other than the fact this older inlet can get accidentally blocked by its cover or by a cushion, the reason for the relocation wasn't otherwise made explicit.

2. Newer Super Maramu 2000s had a closable outlet in the steel tube that runs across the aft heads. We had the choice of upgrading this tube, but the cost was high and one sees where this could be of great benefit to others, but given our wet gear habits and needs, we did not upgrade.

3. We were initially advised only one controller can be fit. This may or may not have been true with the old controllers still on sale for the U.S. and U.K. markets, but is not true for the latest generation controllers with yellow-orange backlit screens. We have:
Easystart Select Part 22 1000 34 13 00
Easystart Remote+ Part 22 1000 34 17 00
For example, we are able to start a heating or ventilation cycle from the bulkhead fixed controller in the salon and to turn it off from the RF wireless remote from a sleeping cabin. The exact desired temperature can be adjusted from either controller, and the current temperature is shown on both displays.
To run two controllers simultaneously you must hook up the purple wire. This is not shown on either manual for the above; it is shown on the "Special Functions and Diagnostics" separate technical manual no-one tells you about.

4. Eberspächer will ship you, at least in Europe, old-stock heaters with screen-less controllers, with reduced functionality and reduced expandability. Beware.

5. After experiencing moderate whine on the aft cabin outlet (same as the old ventilation system), we upgraded the ducting with an Eberspächer silencer. Upside: the outlet is entirely quiet. It is so quiet, you can now lightly hear the whine of the heater itself, enclosed in the portside locker. Downside: airflow is reduced. Winter will tell if this was a suboptimal decision!

Many thanks to Eric of s/y Kimberlite for all the aid, tips, and research undertaken. This installation would most certainly have been a lot less satisfactory without his incredible and friendly input in NY and in Ft L.

Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (1) . Top ^

8a
Re: Engine mountreplacement

Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:08 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
joemac4sail

Hi Pat The bushes for the coupler are sold as the Vetus Coupler Repair Kit. A.S.A.P. Supplies, in the UK, have the kit for sale for about £13 Sterling. If the mounts you have are the round Vetus Hydro with the high profile, again they are for sale with ASAP. They are coded as the "mitsteun"; mounts. These are the mounts Amel were going to supply before the question was asked about their rating. On the Vetus technical data sheet, these mounts are recommended for 1,2 and 3 cylinder engines of up to 35hp, so have a look at them and see what you think.
Joe

Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (18) . Top ^

VISIT YOUR GROUP New Members 3