From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2015 2:54 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Sail Furling Gearbox Specification

Does anyone please have the exact model/part number of the Leroy Somers
reduction gearbox that is attached to the sail furling motors? I am
trying to get a part from LS UK to refurbish a worn box. I have told
them it's a Model D20 R1/60 GW211101 Type MVA M33 but they seem unable
to identify the box from this.

Any further information would be most helpful. Thanks

--
Ian Shepherd SM2K Crusader (2003) Larnaca Cyprus

Ian Shepherd

Thanks Eric,

that's what I told them. Leroy Somers UK has been taken over by Emmerson and they refuse to trade without a photo of the nameplate which was a sticker and long gone. It's unbelievable that these people cannot identify this model from the photo I sent them from their own catalogue!
Ian Shepherd SM2K Crusader (2003) Larnaca Cyprus

On 29/07/2015 16:27, sailormon kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

Ian,

The drawing that I have of the gearbox is labeled  Minibloc-MVA

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Does anyone please have the exact model/part number of the Leroy Somers
reduction gearbox that is attached to the sail furling motors? I am
trying to get a part from LS UK to refurbish a worn box. I have told
them it's a Model D20 R1/60 GW211101 Type MVA M33 but they seem unable
to identify the box from this.

Any further information would be most helpful. Thanks

--
Ian Shepherd SM2K Crusader (2003) Larnaca Cyprus

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Ian,

When brand new, there is no lable or plate. There is no engraved number. I
sent you a separate email of photos of a new one.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+39 333 121 8115 Italy Mobile
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On 29/07/2015 16:27, sailormon kimberlite@optonline.net [amelyachtowners]
wrote:

*Ian,*

*The drawing that I have of the gearbox is labeled Minibloc-MVA*

*Fair Winds*

*Eric*

*Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376*

Does anyone please have the exact model/part number of the Leroy Somers
reduction gearbox that is attached to the sail furling motors? I am
trying to get a part from LS UK to refurbish a worn box. I have told
them it's a Model D20 R1/60 GW211101 Type MVA M33 but they seem unable
to identify the box from this.

Any further information would be most helpful. Thanks

--
Ian Shepherd SM2K Crusader (2003) Larnaca Cyprus

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Ian,

I bought my spare from Amel SAV.

I do not think that you will save too much more than about 100 euros if Emmerson agrees to sell you...AND...Leroy Somer previously had a minimum order of about 10...maybe Emmerson is different. This is the first I have heard of this Emmerson thing. I assume that you are correct?

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+39 333 121 8115 Italy Mobile
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On Jul 30, 2015 9:45 AM, "Ian Shepherd sv_freespirit@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

 Thanks Bill,

actually when I got my last one from Amel there was a silver stick on label and I thought I had the info from it written down correctly. But the label had to go when I sprayed the box with Hammerite paint. The frustrating thing is that I sent them a photo of the correct box from their own catalogue but they said it was not enough!! For the moment I have bitten the bullet and ordered a spare from Amel and will defer rebuilding the old one until I can get someone from Leroy to admit they actually make the gearbox!

I hope you and Judy are well. Just waiting for the gearbox before setting off to Marmaris for new dodger windows.

Regards

Ian Shepherd SM2K 414 Crusader

On 30/07/2015 08:48, Bill & Judy Rouse wrote:

[...]

Hi Bill,

I was dealing with Transdrive who deal with Leroy, now Emmerson whoever they are ........ Transdrive were interested in selling a one off and they work closely with Leroy. I doubt if Amel will sell just the gearwheel I need, but they are presently selling me a complete unit. Maybe I will find a machine shop that can copy the bronze gear.

Ian

SM2K Crusader Cyprus

On 30/07/2015 08:51, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

[...]

A year ago or maybe less Maud told me she had a bronze gear for the furler gearbox in stock.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+39 333 121 8115 Italy Mobile
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

[...]

seafeverofcuan@...

Ian,
      Amel did sell me a single gear wheel and seals in 2009, the cost was around Euros 150 plus carriage.
Emerson are a massive American owned, global electrical manufacturing and distribution company.
Regards,
Trevor
Sea Fever of Cuan
Sm 425 Redline
Mexico
For Sale

Eric Freedman

Ian,

I have photos of the gearbox that was sent to me in pieces by Leroy sommers .

Send me your Eric-mail if you wish the photos.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

When brand new, there is no lable or plate. There is no engraved number. I
sent you a separate email of photos of a new one.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+39 333 121 8115 Italy Mobile
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail
On Jul 30, 2015 9:45 AM, "Ian Shepherd sv_freespirit@...
[amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

> Thanks Eric,
>
> that's what I told them. Leroy Somers UK has been taken over by Emmerson
> and they refuse to trade without a photo of the nameplate which was a
> sticker and long gone. It's unbelievable that these people cannot identify
> this model from the photo I sent them from their own catalogue!
>
> Ian Shepherd SM2K Crusader (2003) Larnaca Cyprus
>

> On 29/07/2015 16:27, sailormon kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners]
> wrote:
>

> *Ian,*
>
> *The drawing that I have of the gearbox is labeled Minibloc-MVA*
>
> *Fair Winds*
>
> *Eric*
>
> *Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376*

Today I heard from the Transdrive company in England after receiving the correct model number and serial number of the gearbox.

Here is their answer.

Good Morning,

Thank you for the serial number, you need to contact AMEL Chantiers in France in order to purchase. We cannot offer this unit.

Matt.

It is like a dog chasing his tail

Fair Winds

Eric

Does anyone please have the exact model/part number of the Leroy Somers
reduction gearbox that is attached to the sail furling motors? I am
trying to get a part from LS UK to refurbish a worn box. I have told
them it's a Model D20 R1/60 GW211101 Type MVA M33 but they seem unable
to identify the box from this.

Any further information would be most helpful. Thanks

--
Ian Shepherd SM2K Crusader (2003) Larnaca Cyprus

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Eric,

It may not be what you wanted to hear, but it makes perfect sense to me.

Earlier attempts by a member of this group to buy the gearbox direct were deflected by requiring a minimum order. It seems they want to sell these to their customer...and not their customer's customer.

Many suppliers are this way. Some are a little more sophisticated using price and quantity discounts to cause the deflection.

Amel has them in stock in France. Amel Caribe has them in Martinique, and EMEK Marine has them in Turkey. I don't think anyone has checked pricing to see if one is better, but most likely you should use the closest because of shipping costs.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+39 333 121 8115 Italy Mobile
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On Aug 4, 2015 5:55 AM, "sailormon kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

I know that Transdrive did contact Leroy in France concerning my order. I am guess that they shut the door on non Amel sales.

Cheers

Ian

On 04/08/2015 03:54, sailormon kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

[...]

Thanks Trevor. I have a new one now from Amel and will strip the failing one and see if I can get the gear made locally.

Cheers

Ian

On 30/07/2015 18:31, seafeverofcuan@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

Ian,

      Amel did sell me a single gear wheel and seals in 2009, the cost was around Euros 150 plus carriage.
Emerson are a massive American owned, global electrical manufacturing and distribution company.
Regards,
Trevor
Sea Fever of Cuan
Sm 425 Redline
Mexico
For Sale

Ian Shepherd

Ian Shepherd SM2K Crusader (2003) Larnaca Cyprus
Thanks Bill. Will try and get one cut locally first.

Cheers

Ian