[Amel Yacht Owners] Forestay furling

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Herbert,

Did you have it serviced at EMEK in Gocek? If so, write an email to Riza. I am sure he can help you, but it sounds like a gear key has slipped and certainly you will have to open the gear box for inspection. I have not done that, but I believe that you can remove the cover for inspection, which will likely reveal your problem.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+39 333 121 8115 Italy Mobile
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On Aug 15, 2015 3:19 PM, "herbert lackner herbert@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Our forestay furling worked good and silent until today. But today it makes a strange noise,  seems to me that it comes out of the gearbox and sounds as the bearings are not ok and metal scratches on metal. The unit Has been serviced in Turkey in the Winter.  Has anyone drawings of the unit? Is it necessary to get the whole unit off (forestay removal. ...) or Can it be serviced by taking only the Motor off and leaving the forestay in place ?  We are away from a save marina and are using the manual furling Method currently and do Not want to remove the forestay if not absolute necessary for a repair. Any ideas and Experiences?

Tadeja and herbert
Kali mera , SN 120
Near Stromboli ...

Sent from my mobile

Von meinem Samsung Gerät gesendet.

Herbert Lackner

Thank you Bill,

I removed the motor as far as I could (on anchor, to take the motor out complete I would have to open all the cables) and put some grease in the gearbox,  now it is better, maybe only grease is missing. Stupid question: is it necessary to grease the unit periodically? Has anyone some instructions how to do that?

We made the service in kusadasi in turkey, and nearly everything that the mechanics did there made problems  later, we had to rework everything step by step. So it would not surprise me if they did not grease it

Fair winds, herbert

KALI MERA SN 120
Vulcano, Italy

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Herbert,

If you happen to be in Gocek, the mechanics at EMEK know how to do this job. I saw them overhaul another Amel Genoa furler.

While I was there I had them drill and tap my Genoa furler gearbox for a grease nipple. I had them do the same thing to the outhaul and furling gearboxes on the Main Mast

I pump a little grease into each one once a year. When not adding grease, I replace the grease nipple with a nylon screw. Some owners have added two tapped holes on each one. They unscrew nylon screws from each, screw a grease nipple in one and pump grease until grease comes out the other hole. This is probably an improvement over what I did.

All gears need lubrication. I am not sure why Amel did not add a method of lubrication to these gearboxes. What makes matters worse is that these gearboxes "bake" the grease in the hot sun. On the other hand, the gearboxes will last 10 years, or more, without adding grease...BUT, will probably last 20+ years WITH ADDING GREASE!

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+39 333 121 8115 Italy Mobile