Amel 54 Mainsail furler removal

ya_fohi

Hi,

I need to remove my Amel 54 main sail furler (which has seized) which sits in the cavity at he bottom of the main mast, BUT, the untit is actually slightly wider than the mast cavity! Does anyone know how to remove it?

Any advice appreciated,
Thanks
Paul

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Paul;

I just removed and reinstalled a new furler on our 54. The motor at first appears wider than the profile but it is not. You have to make sure that you have removed the 4 upper screws and the two lower ones that hold the motor in place. From the picture you posted, you have already done this.

There are rubber inserts at the screw locations in the body of the motor. This may make it more difficult for the motor to be removed.

Try rotating the motor in the mast profile about 45 degrees and pull firmly from the top of the motor . It will pull out from the top and you then can see the rubber inserts and pull out the bottom as well. Take care not to lose the inserts.

The wires then need to be disconnected in the forward port cabin locker and fed from the access panel in the mast.

Good luck
Aty and mohammad
B&B Kokomo Amel 54 #99

ya_fohi

Ok many thanks for that, I'll give it a try.
Paul (#98 by the way!)

Mohammad Shirloo

You're welcome Paul.

Let me know how it goes.

its nice to meet kokomo's almost twin.

Aty & Mohammad
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #99

ya_fohi

Aty,

I have managed to remove it with your advice so many thanks for that indeed. It looks like its half full of water! My guess is that you had the same problem and it was not viable to repair so you replaced it - is that correct? If so did you order a new one from Amel or is there somewhere else I can get a replacement from?

Cheers,
Paul

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Paul;

Aty is my wife, I'm Mohammad.

I'm glad you remove it.

Ours had some water that had penetrated as well. Not quite as much as you have. Riza, from Emek Marin in Turkey had his guys look at it and they determined that it was beyond repair. He ordered a new from from Amel. As far as I know these are custom made for Amel and we cannot buy direct. Good luck.

Aty and Mohammad
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #99

ya_fohi

Mohammad,

Thank you for that - I guess I will need a new one as well - they're not cheap, Amel quoted almost €2500 !!

Cheers,
Paul