Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Red line edition

Flavia Pozzolini

The red line edition refers to the last production for super maramu, namely 2003,2004 and few 2005 boats. It has some more implementations when compared with the 2000 edition. For istance the corian in the kitchen. The electronics etc. 
However the major differences you have to look for are the type of watermaker and the presence of the comfort pack.  

Fair wind

Andrew
Schiccherona SM 441

Inviato da iPhone

Il giorno 04 ott 2015, alle ore 13:55, evastaffanpersson@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> ha scritto:

I am not familiar with yahoo groups, so I am not quite sure how to find answers. I am sorry if this has been asked before.

We are in the process of buying a SM, and would like to know the differences between "red line edition" and "regular". I did not find the info on the Amel website, but please direct me to where I can find this info. Or if you could be so kind and tell me the main differences.

Thanks very much!
Eva & Staffan

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Actually, Corian, the Comfort Pack and the 160 liter water maker were available before Red-Line, and are in SM BeBe #387, which is a 2003 model. 

The Furuno systems had moved to Navnet about the time of the Red Line, but Navnet wasn't necessarily added because of Red Line. I think that there are very little differences in the 2003 SM and Red line, other than the color of the rub rail, boot stripe and leather trim. The 2003 did not have Furuno Navnet because it really wasn't available at the time.

Bill
BeBe, 387

On Sun, Oct 4, 2015 at 6:33 PM, Schiccherona schiccherona@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

The red line edition refers to the last production for super maramu, namely 2003,2004 and few 2005 boats. It has some more implementations when compared with the 2000 edition. For istance the corian in the kitchen. The electronics etc. 
However the major differences you have to look for are the type of watermaker and the presence of the comfort pack.  

Fair wind

Andrew
Schiccherona SM 441

Inviato da iPhone

Il giorno 04 ott 2015, alle ore 13:55, evastaffanpersson@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> ha scritto:

I am not familiar with yahoo groups, so I am not quite sure how to find answers. I am sorry if this has been asked before.

We are in the process of buying a SM, and would like to know the differences between "red line edition" and "regular". I did not find the info on the Amel website, but please direct me to where I can find this info. Or if you could be so kind and tell me the main differences.

Thanks very much!
Eva & Staffan

seafeverofcuan@...

Andrew,
           My understanding is that Corian was an option,not part of the comfort pack which as you have mentioned focused mainly on the water maker,twin Racor filters, larger water maker,electric heads,larger cooker,electric fans,etc. I also thought that originally the Yanmar 100hp was part of the comfort pack?
It does seem that towards the end of the production of Super Maramus there was a certain amount of cross over with fixtures.
Joel or Olivier would know for sure.

Regards,

Trevor
Seafever of Cuan
SM 425 Redline 2004
Mexico 

FOR SALE 

svperegrinus@yahoo.com

The corian, the Comfort Pack, the 160 ltr/hr watermaker and a Furuno "NavNet" chartplotter/radar unit were delivered on SM2K No. 350, a 2002 model.

Other than the color, I speculate the difference between SM2K No. 350 and a Red Line is a hand-hold rail in red-leather covered steel somewhere in the dining area: either on the table, or screwed to the ceiling.

A feature surprisingly not found on all SM2K built after # 350 but present on Nr. 350 is the 7 convenience lights, one in each of the nearly oval cubbyholes (2 aft, 1 aft passage, 2 salon, 2 fwd).

N. 350 had no diesel heater installed at the factory, but all the air conduits were installed for the fresh ventilation system, making aftermarket installation a drop-in affair.  N. 350 also had no factory dive tank compressor.

Would be interesting to know if No. 350 is missing any other components.

Peregrinus
Vilanova de Arousa, Spain

Alan Leslie

They seem to vary a lot.
Elyse is a 2004 Redline with 100hp Yanmar, 13 batteries, but only 60l/hr watermaker and no lights in cubby holes or the red lights recently discussed, nor the handhold....but we do have a dive compressor.
So the "standard" boat is not so standard after all !
Alan
Elyse SM437

Nat Bossett

You're welcome to try the wireless one with the iPad... want to take the
one I know works to Mexico though.

You could just have the other one.

Anyway, turns out that I'm at Wally's tomorrow night for pool.

Happy to play a few games there this evening and buy you a couple of
beers if you like. Don't want to bun more than an hour and a half though.

-Nathan

On Sun, Oct 04, 2015 at 06:31:47PM -0700, divanz620@yahoo.fr [amelyachtowners] wrote:
They seem to vary a lot. Elyse is a 2004 Redline with 100hp Yanmar, 13 batteries, but only 60l/hr watermaker and no lights in cubby holes or the red lights recently discussed, nor the handhold....but we do have a dive compressor.
Alan
Elyse SM437

Nat Bossett

So sorry, mis-reply.

On Sun, Oct 04, 2015 at 06:50:07PM -0700, Nathan Bossett nbossett@pierb.com [amelyachtowners] wrote:
You're welcome to try the wireless one with the iPad... want to take the
one I know works to Mexico though.

You could just have the other one.

Anyway, turns out that I'm at Wally's tomorrow night for pool.

Happy to play a few games there this evening and buy you a couple of
beers if you like. Don't want to bun more than an hour and a half though.

-Nathan

On Sun, Oct 04, 2015 at 06:31:47PM -0700, divanz620@yahoo.fr [amelyachtowners] wrote:
They seem to vary a lot. Elyse is a 2004 Redline with 100hp Yanmar, 13 batteries, but only 60l/hr watermaker and no lights in cubby holes or the red lights recently discussed, nor the handhold....but we do have a dive compressor.
Alan
Elyse SM437

------------------------------------
Posted by: Nathan Bossett <nbossett@pierb.com>

Yahoo Groups Links

eric freedman

The comfort package definitely had the bigger yanmar, 12 batteries in the main bank, a triple anchor roller , and a triple light over the salon table.

That is all I can remember in adition to the things previously mentioned. I also believe some Red Lines came with all Raymarine instruments, chartplotter and radar. I had a heck of a battle with Pouchon to get all Raymarine and the latest Autopilot course computer it was the model 400 then name changed to S1g, they had a stock of the older black model which did not have a built in gyro.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Sunday, October 04, 2015 4:33 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Red line edition

Andrew,

My understanding is that Corian was an option,not part of the comfort pack which as you have mentioned focused mainly on the water maker,twin Racor filters, larger water maker,electric heads,larger cooker,electric fans,etc. I also thought that originally the Yanmar 100hp was part of the comfort pack?

It does seem that towards the end of the production of Super Maramus there was a certain amount of cross over with fixtures.

Joel or Olivier would know for sure.

Regards,

Trevor

Seafever of Cuan

SM 425 Redline 2004

Mexico 

FOR SALE 

eric freedman

The red lights, the choice of watermakers and handhold were separate options

Fair Winds

Eric

Sent: Sunday, October 04, 2015 9:32 PM

They seem to vary a lot.

Elyse is a 2004 Redline with 100hp Yanmar, 13 batteries, but only 60l/hr watermaker and no lights in cubby holes or the red lights recently discussed, nor the handhold....but we do have a dive compressor.

Alan

Elyse SM437

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Eva & Staffan,

I believe that there were more options than the press led you to believe...and minor changes each year through the production run of the Super Maramu...many, if not most of some minor annual changes were incorporated in the SM's big sister, the 54. But, of course, major changes happened with the 54.

Furuno Navnet was mentioned earlier. I believe that you will find that it was an option before it was standard, and it was standard later because the earlier, non-navnet was no longer available. I believe that you will find the bonding test system on the last year or so of the SM...I really like that, but unfortunately, I guess either BeBe was too early for that or it was an option that was missed.

During the production of the SM there were some major changes that are not as obvious. The C Drive was significantly changed at least once which allowed for two things that I know of: Auto-Prop and increased horse power. The earlier model C Drives did not have the clearance needed for an Auto-Prop (don't learn this the hard way). 

So, if you want the best of the best, the last models of the amazing production run of almost 500 Super Maramus will be the last year. But, in most cases we are talking about things that are insignificant to what makes this boat the best of the best.

There are two people in this Group that really know all of the answers, one is a broker specializing in Amels, Joel Potter...the other a surveyor and long-time employee of Amel, Olivier Beaute. They are each Amel experts. I suspect that they have not added much because of two reasons....the entire production run was great and there are many little variances, even though all SMs look the same. If you are purchasing an Amel and not using either of these guys, the difference in your purchase experience will be far greater than difference between SM #1 and SM #480. Let me know if you need contact information.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 5:38 AM, sailormon kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Fair Winds

Eric

Sent: Sunday, October 04, 201 5 9:32 PM

They seem to vary a lot.

Alan

Elyse SM437

Beaute Olivier

Good morning Eva and Staffan,

of course, the more recent an SM is, the more equipped with options she may be...
The options of the first SMs were only concerning some electronics.
Here are the main "options", more or less available on an SM, according to its hull number and first purchaser's choice:
-Water maker 60l/h 24V or 60l/h 24V/230V or 160l/h 230V
-Second autopilot drive
-Second full autopilot
-Seagull freshwater filter
-Holding tanks (1 or 2)
-Second deep freezer
-Diesel fuel heater (air)
-Fresh air ventilation pack (9 outlets, 6 blowers)
-Mosquito screens for all hatches and portholes
-Latches on all inside opening floor boards
-Spinnaker halyard
-SPURS rope-cutter
-Large automatic fire extinguisher for engine room
-Strobe light (in masthead nav tri-color light
-Companionway hatch securing stainless steel board
-Large 24V/230V inverter (2.5kVA)
-Set of cockpit cushions
-Set of aft deck cushions
-Cockpit sun awning
-Half cockpit winter awning
-Full cockpit winter awning

There has been many changes on electronics throughout the years:
The basic standards were:
B&G nav computer with Sonic speed, wind and depth
Furuno RADAR
VHF
Autopilot
GPS

All the other electronics were optionnal (in fact upon purchaser's request). Our good friends from USA were sometimes keen on RAYMARINE products.

Main changes in the standard SM:
In 1993:
-batteries in the passageway, 9 instead of 5
-1500 rpm 230V generator (ONAN)
-3 groove head sail foil
-VOLVO engine (TMD22 or TAMD22)
-Bigger mizzen staysail
-Vinyl headliner with filt instead of foam
-BRUNTON Autoprop

In 1999 (SM 2K):
New floor boards (GRP or Synthetic wood instead of teak veneer)
Electric toilets
Slightly different galley lay-out
New upholstery (Suedine)
YANMAR 4JH3-HTE engine (maybe from 2001 on)
Most of these SM had the comfort package (optionnal): 13 batteries, second battery charger, bigger 24V alternator, dual RACOR pre-filter for fuel

I missed some items for sure and Joel may remember more.
Of course, throughout the years, some older SMs have installed newer options, so make sure to get a detailed list of equipments before having a pre-purchase visit.

This e-mail may raise a lot of questions about each single SM...(Did I open Pandora's box?)
However, Eva and Staffan, as Bill mentions, the 90% important basics are included in each SM.

Have a good day.

Olivier

On Monday, October 5, 2015 9:40 AM, "'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

Eva & Staffan,

I believe that there were more options than the press led you to believe...and minor changes each year through the production run of the Super Maramu...many, if not most of some minor annual changes were incorporated in the SM's big sister, the 54. But, of course, major changes happened with the 54.

Furuno Navnet was mentioned earlier. I believe that you will find that it was an option before it was standard, and it was standard later because the earlier, non-navnet was no longer available. I believe that you will find the bonding test system on the last year or so of the SM...I really like that, but unfortunately, I guess either BeBe was too early for that or it was an option that was missed.

During the production of the SM there were some major changes that are not as obvious. The C Drive was significantly changed at least once which allowed for two things that I know of: Auto-Prop and increased horse power. The earlier model C Drives did not have the clearance needed for an Auto-Prop (don't learn this the hard way). 

So, if you want the best of the best, the last models of the amazing production run of almost 500 Super Maramus will be the last year. But, in most cases we are talking about things that are insignificant to what makes this boat the best of the best.

There are two people in this Group that really know all of the answers, one is a broker specializing in Amels, Joel Potter...the other a surveyor and long-time employee of Amel, Olivier Beaute. They are each Amel experts. I suspect that they have not added much because of two reasons....the entire production run was great and there are many little variances, even though all SMs look the same. If you are purchasing an Amel and not using either of these guys, the difference in your purchase experience will be far greater than difference between SM #1 and SM #480. Let me know if you need contact information.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 5:38 AM, sailormon kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Fair Winds
Eric

They seem to vary a lot.
Alan
Elyse SM437

Patrick McAneny

Oliver, I have a 60l/h 230v water maker that came with my boat. The placard on the Lesson motor is unreadable but it ran on 230v. You stated the water maker options as 60l 24v or 60l 24v/230v . Does that mean that the motor I have runs on 24v as well as 230v, is that possible?
Thanks
Pat SM#123

-----Original Message-----
From: Beaute Olivier atlanticyachtsurvey@... [amelyachtowners]
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Mon, Oct 5, 2015 4:53 am

of course, the more recent an SM is, the more equipped with options she may be...
Here are the main "options", more or less available on an SM, according to its hull number and first purchaser's choice:
-Second autopilot drive
-Second full autopilot
-Holding tanks (1 or 2)
-Second deep freezer
-Spinnaker halyard
-SPURS rope-cutter
-Set of cockpit cushions
-Cockpit sun awning

Furuno RADAR
VHF
Autopilot
GPS

All the other electronics were optionnal (in fact upon purchaser's request). Our good friends from USA were sometimes keen on RAYMARINE products.

In 1993:
-3 groove head sail foil
-Bigger mizzen staysail
-BRUNTON Autoprop

In 1999 (SM 2K):
Electric toilets
New upholstery (Suedine)
Most of these SM had the comfor t package (optionnal): 13 batteries, second battery charger, bigger 24V alternator, dual RACOR pre-filter for fuel

Of course, throughout the years, some older SMs have installed newer options, so make sure to get a detailed list of equipments before having a pre-purchase visit.

This e-mail may raise a lot of questions about each single SM...(Did I open Pandora's box?)
However, Eva and Staffan, as Bill mentions, the 90% important basics are included in each SM.

Have a good day.

Olivier

On Monday, October 5, 2015 9:40 AM, "'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Eva & Staffan,

During the production of the SM there were some major changes that are not as obvious. The C Dr ive was significantly changed at least once which allowed for two things that I know of: Auto-Prop and increased horse power. The earlier model C Drives did not have the clearance needed for an Auto-Prop (don't learn this the hard way). 

Bill
BeBe 387

Fair Winds
Eric

They seem to vary a lot.
Al an
Elyse SM437

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Hello Patrick,

The water makers installed at the factory are Dessalator.  They come in various forms; the 230 V units run only on 230V.  The 24 V units only run on 24V.

I installed the newest variant on Eleuthera; the 24/230 V unit.  It has a 24 DC motor on one side of the high pressure pump and a separate 230V motor on the other end.  You select which power source you want to use.

These are called the DUO model and are available as either 60 l/hr or 100 l/hr.

Hope this helps

Jean-Pierre Germain,
SY Eleuthera, Amel Super Maramu 007

On 5 Oct 2015, at 14:12, Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Oliver, I have a 60l/h 230v water maker that came with my boat. The placard on the Lesson motor is unreadable but it ran on 230v. You stated the water maker options as 60l 24v or 60l 24v/230v . Does that mean that the motor I have runs on 24v as well as 230v, is that possible?
Thanks
Pat SM#123

From: Beaute Olivier atlanticyachtsurvey@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>

-Second autopilot drive
-Second full autopilot
-Holding tanks (1 or 2)
-Second deep freezer
-Spinnaker halyard
-SPURS rope-cutter
-Set of cockpit cushions
-Cockpit sun awning

Furuno RADAR
VHF
Autopilot
GPS

In 1993:
-3 groove head sail foil
-Bigger mizzen staysail
-BRUNTON Autoprop

In 1999 (SM 2K):
Electric toilets
New upholstery (Suedine)
Most of these SM had the comfor t package (optionnal): 13 batteries, second battery charger, bigger 24V alternator, dual RACOR pre-filter for fuel

Have a good day.

Olivier

On Monday, October 5, 2015 9:40 AM, "'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Eva & Staffan,

During the production of the SM there were some major changes that are not as obvious. The C Dr ive was significantly changed at least once which allowed for two things that I know of: Auto-Prop and increased horse power. The earlier model C Drives did not have the clearance needed for an Auto-Prop (don't learn this the hard way). 

Bill
BeBe 387

Fair Winds
Eric

They seem to vary a lot.
Al an
Elyse SM437

Beaute Olivier

Hello Pat,

if your water maker is a 60l/h with 230V motor. This is another possibility from Dessalator but I don't remember that AMEL offered that kind of option.
A 230V AC motor cannot run with 24V DC, that's for sure.
The duo models (with a 24V motor and a 230V motor, and a ratchet wheel system) as JP mentions, started at Dessalator, upon AMEL's request and with joined development probably around 2000.

I'm not sure that there is one Super Maramu that is exactly the same as another one, even with clos hull numbers, as far as options are concerned. But the general design and all the standards that made the SM famous are there.

Olivier.

On Monday, October 5, 2015 3:18 PM, "Germain Jean-Pierre jgermain@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

Hello Patrick,

The water makers installed at the factory are Dessalator.  They come in various forms; the 230 V units run only on 230V.  The 24 V units only run on 24V.

I installed the newest variant on Eleuthera; the 24/230 V unit.  It has a 24 DC motor on one side of the high pressure pump and a separate 230V motor on the other end.  You select which power source you want to use.

These are called the DUO model and are available as either 60 l/hr or 100 l/hr.

Hope this helps

Jean-Pierre Germain,
SY Eleuthera, Amel Super Maramu 007

On 5 Oct 2015, at 14:12, Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks
Pat SM#123

From: Beaute Olivier atlanticyachtsurvey@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>

-Second autopilot drive
-Second full autopilot
-Holding tanks (1 or 2)
-Second deep freezer
-Spinnaker halyard
-SPURS rope-cutter
-Set of cockpit cushions
-Cockpit sun awning

Furuno RADAR
VHF
Autopilot
GPS

In 1993:
-3 groove head sail foil
-Bigger mizzen staysail
-BRUNTON Autoprop

In 1999 (SM 2K):
Electric toilets
New upholstery (Suedine)

Have a good day.

Olivier

Eva & Staffan,

Bill
BeBe 387

Fair Winds
Eric

They seem to vary a lot.
Al an
Elyse SM437

Flavia Pozzolini

Bill,
Our SM is a 2004 while the one near us is a 2003 and it is still a red-line

Andrew

SM 441 Schiccherona 

Inviato da iPhone

Il giorno 04 ott 2015, alle ore 18:42, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> ha scritto:

Actually, Corian, the Comfort Pack and the 160 liter water maker were available before Red-Line, and are in SM BeBe #387, which is a 2003 model. 

The Furuno systems had moved to Navnet about the time of the Red Line, but Navnet wasn't necessarily added because of Red Line. I think that there are very little differences in the 2003 SM and Red line, other than the color of the rub rail, boot stripe and leather trim. The 2003 did not have Furuno Navnet because it really wasn't available at the time.

Bill
BeBe, 387

On Sun, Oct 4, 2015 at 6:33 PM, Schiccherona schiccherona@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Fair wind

Andrew
Schiccherona SM 441

Inviato da iPhone

Thanks very much!
Eva & Staffan