[Amel Yacht Owners] hydro generator

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Hi Robin,

You have solar panels don’t you?  I would take a different POV..

Reduce the consumption by changing to components using less leccy..  OPINION.

Cheers and see you soon here.

Jean-Pierre Germain,
SY Eleuthera, Amel Super Maramu 007

On 11 Oct 2015, at 11:09, robin hutter robin.hutter@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

we wonder if anybody has any experience with hydro generator (watt&sea or swi-tec) on an amel super maramu in regards to efficiency, vibrations, noise and where and how exactly to install it. we are thinking about installing one and get different opinions so far - not all of them positive ...

robin
sv grosdoux

Ian Park

We crossed the Atlantic in January. The battery bank was 100% when we started and remained 100% until we got to Barbados, all due to Henri fitting a prop shaft alternator on the Santorin. But when we anchor we rely on our solar panels to keep the fridge running.
I would agree that solar us the way to go unless your boat already has a water powered generation system.

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96

Patrick McAneny

I have a shaft driven alternator on my SM ,I disconnected it when I installed three 140 watt Kyrocera solar panels and a wind gen., before we sailed to the Caribbean . I felt I would not need it, and I did not, and did not want the drag . In six months ,I do not remember ever starting the genset  to charge the batteries , only to run the watermaker or washing machine. We had one fridge one freezer lights ,tv. ,etc. and never did the batteries need charging . The solar panels produced far more power than the wind generator ,although at night it did contribute some amps.
Pat SM #123

We crossed the Atlantic in January. The battery bank was 100% when we started and remained 100% until we got to Barbados, all due to Henri fitting a prop shaft alternator on the Santorin. But when we anchor we rely on our solar panels to keep the fridge running.
I would agree that solar us the way to go unless your boat already has a water powered generation system.

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96

hanspeter baettig

Dear Pat
Thats new for me . You even get some Amps at Night from your Kyrocera Solar Panels ??
May I ask you a question? Where do you sail? In the nordic ?
Hanspeter
Tamango 2
SM 16

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

[...]

Ric Gottschalk <ric@...>

Pat, There isn’t any reason to disconnect the shaft driven alternator. You must have a fixed prop and that is free wheeling, hence no more drag than the prop. Mine is set so that the ignition key must be removed and inserted in the shaft alternator switch. This is to prevent charging the batteries from two sources. Works great.

Ric

SN24 Bali Hai

Annapolis

We crossed the Atlantic in January. The battery bank was 100% when we started and remained 100% until we got to Barbados, all due to Henri fitting a prop shaft alternator on the Santorin. But when we anchor we rely on our solar panels to keep the fridge running.
I would agree that solar us the way to go unless your boat already has a water powered generation system.

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96

Patrick McAneny

Hanspeter, Please read my post again, slowly. I stated that I had a wind generator and that it contributed some amps at night. Do not be so eager to point out other's perceived  errors, for haste can lead you to err .

Pat
Shenanigans SM #123

We crossed the Atlantic in January. The battery bank was 100% when we started and remained 100% until we got to Barbados, all due to Henri fitting a prop shaft alternator on the Santorin. But when we anchor we rely on our solar panels to keep the fridge running.
I would agree that solar us the way to go unless your boat already has a water powered generation system.

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96

Patrick McAneny

Ric, I assume while you are producing electric from the alternator ,it is inducing more drag than the prop freewheeling not producing electric. If you are saying that I did not need to remove it , just not turn the key and engage it , I agree. I did not intend to use it and the alt. needed to be rebuilt so I removed it. It can quickly be back in business if someone ever wants to use it, its a slick idea. If I had not gone solar, I would have used it.
Thanks, Pat

We crossed the Atlantic in January. The battery bank was 100% when we started and remained 100% until we got to Barbados, all due to Henri fitting a prop shaft alternator on the Santorin. But when we anchor we rely on our solar panels to keep the fridge running.
I would agree that solar us the way to go unless your boat already has a water powered generation system.

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96

Ric Gottschalk <ric@...>

Well, at least its not dragging shark bait or fetching up Sargasso or kelp like a some systems. Fact is, Amels are floating power generators with sails attached. Gotta love it.

All the best,

Ric Bali Hai

Stuck still in Annapolis

[...]

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Pat, 30 years ago I put a solar panel on my then 30 foot yacht. At anchor in moonlight it produced enough current to make the bulb in a circuit tester light glow softly.
Cheers
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl

Hanspeter, Please read my post again, slowly. I stated that I had a wind generator and that it contributed some amps at night. Do not be so eager to point out other's perceived  errors, for haste can lead you to err .

Pat
Shenanigans SM #123

We crossed the Atlantic in January. The battery bank was 100% when we started and remained 100% until we got to Barbados, all due to Henri fitting a prop shaft alternator on the Santorin. But when we anchor we rely on our solar panels to keep the fridge running.
I would agree that solar us the way to go unless your boat already has a water powered generation system.

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96

Patrick McAneny

Hey Danny, That's pretty cool, I will make a point of checking the amps during a full moon. The panels today are probably much more efficient than 30 years ago. Hope all is good down under. Regards to Yvonne.
Pat
SM Shenanigans