[Amel Yacht Owners] Salt water in the bilge


Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>
 

The saltwater is entering through the bow thruster seals.

When was it last serviced?

Do you secure the bow thruster in the UP position with a locking pin?

Bill
BeBe 387

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 11:14 AM, tango708@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

On rough passages I am getting a fair amount of sali water in the bilge which collects by the forward head. Wi have plugged the hause. Where else could water enter?

Will Stout
Anni Bea True
SM180



VLADIMIR SONSEV
 

Can it get in the bilge through the anchor chain opening in the deck?

On Nov 16, 2015 6:35 AM, "'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

The saltwater is entering through the bow thruster seals.

When was it last serviced?

Do you secure the bow thruster in the UP position with a locking pin?

Bill
BeBe 387

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 11:14 AM, tango708@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

On rough passages I am getting a fair amount of sali water in the bilge which collects by the forward head. Wi have plugged the hause. Where else could water enter?

Will Stout
Anni Bea True
SM180



Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>
 

Will,

Your anchor chain locker is watertight, draining to the gray water sump any water that enters with the chain retrieval and/or through the chain opening near the windlass. Look at your manual to locate the cut-off valve for this drain...it should be OPEN.

Note that any water entering the area forward of the watertight bulkhead on the aft side of the forward head always settles to the lowest place which is under the cabin floor just outside the forward head.

And, no water cannot enter the area you described from the chain locker unless the watertight bulkhead from the chain locker to the forward V-Berth is breached, or the hose/drain/valve that I discussed above is broken/defective, or possibly changed by someone who did not understand the marvelously simple safety features and watertight system that Amel designed into the Super Maramu. I added that last comment because I saw a Super Maramu that was experiencing the same saltwater issue. The owner did not believe me when I told him that the bow thruster seals were leaking and was certain it was because the chain locker did not have a drain...so he cut a hole in both sides of the hull to drain the water. If you bought that boat from the Kemah area of Texas, you need to send me a private email to svbebe"at"gmail.com

Please believe me when I tell you that the saltwater is entering through the bow thruster tube seals, both the tube foam seals and the tube lip seal because they have not been serviced in two years or because you have not secured the bow thruster UP with the locking pin.

Best,

Bill
BeBe 387

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 12:12 PM, Vladimir Sonsev sonsev52@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Can it get in the bilge through the anchor chain opening in the deck?

On Nov 16, 2015 6:35 AM, "'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

The saltwater is entering through the bow thruster seals.

When was it last serviced?

Do you secure the bow thruster in the UP position with a locking pin?

Bill
BeBe 387

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 11:14 AM, tango708@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

On rough passages I am getting a fair amount of sali water in the bilge which collects by the forward head. Wi have plugged the hause. Where else could water enter?

Will Stout
Anni Bea True
SM180




tango708@...
 

Thank you! I am certain you are correct and I will take a look at the seals.

Will


tango708@...
 

I do not think so. I believe that my C-Drive seals need replacing.

Will


tango708@...
 

Hi Bill, seals were replaced in January and yes we alway pin the thrusters up.

Thanks for the info .

Will


Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>
 

I do not understand.

The C drive seals may need replacing also, but have nothing to do with the water that you have noticed outside the forward head.



On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 6:40 PM, tango708@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

I do not think so. I believe that my C-Drive seals need replacing.

Will



Alan Leslie
 

It will more than likely be the bow thruster seals...that's the only way water can get into that underfloor space outside the forward head...unless you have a forward sonar transducer that is leaking or the depth transducer housing that is leaking  OR the piping from the head and / or anchor locker (that all pass through the same spot) leaking.
It is much more likely to be the bow thruster...have a look where the bow thruster is...you will probably see water in there and the top seal will be wet
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437 


tango708@...
 

Absolutely... I was thinking bow thruster but typed c- drive👍


svperegrinus@yahoo.com
 

From our experience, even for an expert who uses only Amel original parts and who has replaced hundreds of Amel bow thruster seals for more than 25 years, it is possible that fresh seals leak.  It happened to us.

Another seal replacement a little short later and the leak was fixed.

Cheerio,


Peregrinus
At anchor, Palos de La Frontera, Odiel river


n33077@...
 

Interesting thoughts.  I had the same happened to me when coming back from Rhode Island.  I too thought it was from the chain locker.  During the passage I checked the bow thruster.  Everything appeared dry.  I replaced the seals earlier this spring.  I checked the top of thruster and saw no water / moisture in and around the area,

The head was also replaced and no water was noticed overflowing during the starboard tack.

I did sample the water and it was definitely saltwater, so it was bot not from the water tank.

This is the first time it ever happened.   Outside of replacing the seals again, what else can be done?

Aaras.
Sharki #163


Alan Leslie
 

New seals can leak....due to maladjustment of the raising lowering positions...consult Gary Silver's post about this.
It has to be RIGHT 
It is a pain in the ass to adjust, but when you change the seals you may need to adjust the up and down positions to get everything working right
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437
 


Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>
 

Aaras,

Does your Sharki bow thruster have a locking pin to mechanically lock the bow thruster in the up position? If it does the locking of the bow thruster should squeeze the foam seal and stop water egress, unless the seals need replacement.

One other slight thing is that for many years and until very recently Amel supplied 1 natural foam donut seal for the bow thruster tube inside the boat and 2 neoprene foam donuts for outside. I believe, but cannot confirm, that if you used the natural foam outside, you may get water egress, while neoprene should not allow it. Today if you order from Amel France you will get 3 neoprene seals. Amel Caribe still has some of the sets with 1 foam seal. 

So, my suggestion to you and everyone else is: 
Be sure that you understand the difference in these foam donut seals. It is very difficult to tell the difference, but not impossible, if you have a supply of spares...separate them and group them in sets of 2:1 (neoprene:natural foam) and use them correctly. If you cannot tell the difference in your spares, order a supply of the neoprene from Amel.

If you have a locking pin, I have found that using it will eliminate water egress.

Best,

Bill
BeBe #387

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 11:00 AM, divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

New seals can leak....due to maladjustment of the raising lowering positions...consult Gary Silver's post about this.

It has to be RIGHT 
It is a pain in the ass to adjust, but when you change the seals you may need to adjust the up and down positions to get everything working right
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437
 



ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@hotmail.com>
 

Hi Aras,  
              On our Supermaramu we found water in the bilge by the forward head. I assumed that this was from the bow thruster seals as it had a slightly salty taste. However, they were dry. I was puzzled for a while until I realised that shower water was trickling between the the upright edge of the shower tray where it overlapped the shower lining. 
 We slackened off the screws holding the tray in place and inserted mastic, re tightened the screws and have had no further problems.
 The reason the water had tasted slightly salty I put down to the fact that on a couple of occasions in the past 15 years we have had a slight weep from the bow thruster seals when I have delayed changing them and despite cleaning out the bilge a slight residue of salt had remained.

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302 Preveza


On 18 Nov 2015, at 10:42, n33077@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Interesting thoughts.  I had the same happened to me when coming back from Rhode Island.  I too thought it was from the chain locker.  During the passage I checked the bow thruster.  Everything appeared dry.  I replaced the seals earlier this spring.  I checked the top of thruster and saw no water / moisture in and around the area,

The head was also replaced and no water was noticed overflowing during the starboard tack.

I did sample the water and it was definitely saltwater, so it was bot not from the water tank.

This is the first time it ever happened.   Outside of replacing the seals again, what else can be done?

Aaras.
Sharki #163


joseph mc donnell
 

The intake hose on the head in our Santorin does not have an anti siphon loop just seals to keep the water out. If memory seves me its the same on the SM2000  and if the choker valve is worn or has a build up of calcium it will leak water back into the head. Despite the good design not all water ends up in the shower basin under the grating. The fibreglass floor under the head slopes twords the shower basin when on an even keel, but when on a tack presents a level surface for water to slop out of the head, sit on that surface and find a way past the stainless steel inspection plate or the back of the Head basin. Don't taste the water.
Joe