Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Salt water in the bilge

Aras,    Sounds as though you doing some very useful work.  Can I ask you,  each time when you sign off on an email, to identify your boat by its type, name and yard number ?  This may sound a bit pedantic, but Amel ( very slowly) do  update the specs of their boats and an email addressing an issue on one boat may not be the solution for another.

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Preveza

To: amelyachtowners@...
From: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 13:08:28 +0000
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Salt water in the bilge

I guess will do a short haul this spring and look again at the bow thruster. Is there a way to check tension on the bow thruster?  I do have a locking pin and it fully inserts.  I guess I should see some compression on the seals to ensure watertight integrity.
When I ordered my seals from Amel they do mark which one is natural vs neoprene.  BTW> I'm not usre if y'all noticed but they did do a slight design modification to the prop for the thruster.  They are now 6 nylon screws vs the 4 previously.  I spun my old prop off earlier this year, so  I ordered a new one.

My current project(s): new mainsail, and reworking the electric furlers.  I have the main and boom motors being re-wound and I am replacing the Bonfiglioli gear drives.  Incidentally, the VF44's are not really serviceable according to the manufacturer, but rather replacement items.  You can add / change oil, but that's about it. I had some help from Dave Lamberston (Maramu) and have been working on replacements.  I should get the motors back in about 2 weeks, and then I'll replace the VF 44's.

I have a rigger coming next week to take down my jib stay and I will service the electric furler and foil once down.

Interestingly, I'm getting good amperage across the motors, but my voltage is low.  Could this be because of the solenoids (8 V @ 35 amps)?  I'm taking this one step at a time (helps understand how these systems work).

Aras