Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Re:

Ann-Sofie Svanberg <kanalmamman@...>

Because they are selling it? Wasi is in the same family as Rocna, Manson and Spade. We have a Rocna but I think that anyone in that family would be good. Google and check prices, is my advice.

Ann-Sofie
S/Y Lady Annila SM#232

Skickat från min iPad

21 nov. 2015 kl. 14:23 skrev christoph.kasper@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

Hi thanks a lot to all of you - very helpfull. From Amel yard I got the information that the original chaine size for the Santorin was 8mm Why do you change to 10mm size - really necessary?

Also they recommand the Wasi anchor - what do you think about that?
Christoph

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Christoph,

I agree with Ann-Sofie. BTW, Wasi was the first of the series of anchors that I like to call "dragon tooth." Then came Rocna and Manson which were inspired by the Wasi Bugel. Wasi offers it in only stainless steel. They also make a stainless steel swivel for the Bugel anchor that is very good. It is called the power ball. BeBe #387 has a Wasi Bugel and a PowerBall. Every year or so, I cut the first two links off of the galvanized chain because of the galvanic reaction between stainless steel and galvanized steel. Regarding the chain issue, it seems to me that if the Santorin came with 8mm, changing to 10mm is problematic because of several issues: The hp of the windlass may not be enough, you will be adding weight to the bow, and the windlass gypsy will have to be changed to match 10mm. If Amel originally specified 8mm, I would buy high quality 8mm galvanized chain and NOT from China.

One additional point. You did not say where you are located, but I suspect somewhere in Europe, possibly the Med. If so you, will find off-brand copies of the Wasi Bugel in Galvanized Steel. I would probably buy one of these.

Most of the people I know who have bought over-sized anchors and/or bought oversized chain did so in an attempt to overcome their faulty anchoring techniques. Of course, some do it out of a desire to be extra safe. I do not know of a single situation where it was safer than having a good (preferably "dragon tooth" type anchor), correctly sized anchor and chain, correct anchoring technique including correct scope of 5:1, or greater.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 7:31 AM, Ann-Sofie Svanberg kanalmamman@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Because they are selling it? Wasi is in the same family as Rocna, Manson and Spade. We have a Rocna but I think that anyone in that family would be good. Google and check prices, is my advice.

Ann-Sofie
S/Y Lady Annila SM#232

Skickat från min iPad

21 nov. 2015 kl. 14:23 skrev christoph.kasper@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

Hi thanks a lot to all of you - very helpfull. From Amel yard I got the information that the original chaine size for the Santorin was 8mm Why do you change to 10mm size - really necessary?

Also they recommand the Wasi anchor - what do you think about that?
Christoph

Ian Park

Christophe

My previous boat, a Jeanneau 37, had 10mm chain. When we bought our Santorin (twice the weight) it had 8 MM. chain. I asked the surveyor about its suitability. He checked some tables which indicated that 10mm was more appropriate.
We changed to 100m of 10mm in Sardinia with a new gypsy. There is a Rocna 25 on the end of it.
I am happier with the 10mm because of the catenary effect of the chain's weight relative to the 15 tons of the boat. There is less jerk on the whole system. We prefer to anchor and have done so from the Med to Scotland and the Caribbean, 3 times in F9. The boat has always felt comfortable.
I'm sure there would have been no problem with 8mm. I just feel some reassurance in weight of chain x length of scope etc.
No issues with weight in the bow - I'm sure you've already noticed the stern down aspect of Amels!
The only issue this year was the tendency of the chain to pile up and jam in the hawser hole with 8 metres to stow!! This was because I reversed the chain and the still new end had quite a bit of salt on it. It's now worn in and runs smoothly.
My advice would be to suck it and see. The boat had obviously managed well with 8mm so far. Put that one lower down the wish list.

Ian 'Ocean Hobo' SN96

Sent from my iPod

Ric Gottschalk <ric@...>

Christophe

Do you have a Santorin? What is the number and where are you?

Ric Bali Hai SN24

Annapolis