Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Link10 Battery Monitor Issues

karkauai

I had to replace mine three or four years ago.
Kent
SM243
Kristy

On Nov 22, 2015, at 12:20 PM, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

We are having issues with our Link10 battery monitor.

We have reset and re-programmed the unit a number of times trying to fix this issue over the past few months. We are certain it is programmed correctly. The unit did work correctly and reset itself after charging up until about 6 months ago.

The unit is not measuring an accurate flow of amps going into or out of the battery bank. It is off by a factor of about 5 amps. Example: We are on a mooring buoy and the unit reads 5 A (positive) as our current load. We know we are using about 5-6 amps right now. The number should be negative. We have no chargers running. If we turn off everything DC with the large red battery handles, it will read 10 A indicating we are putting 10 amps into the battery. Because the unit is not correctly measuring the amp flow, it is not counting down or resetting when charged.

Has anyone else had issues with this that can give some pointers of things to check? Do these go bad?

With best regards,

Mark

Super Maramu 2000

Hull #275

www.creampuff.us

Currently cruising:  St Augustine FL

Mark Erdos

Hi Kent,

What did you replace it with and hw has it worked out for you?

[...]

Patrick McAneny

Mark, I installed a Link 10 on my last boat and found the manual confusing, I thought it was just me , glad to read that Bill  found it confusing as well. A few years ago I installed a Victron meter. Very similar to the Link 10 , but the manual seemed easy to follow . It has worked well measuring the input from the solar panels, wind gen. and engines .
Pat SM Shenanigans

[...]

Wolfgang Weber

Bill
I just saw the Mastervolt has new in programm a BattMan Pro - looks like the Link 10 Moniitor.
May be the description - see download from the web - is better.
Wolfgang SY Elise Amel 54 # 162

Mark Erdos

The BattMan Lite by Mastervolt looks to be the same as Xantrex LinkLITE Battery Monitor. Even the instructions are the same.

Does anyone have any experience with this unit?

With best regards,

Mark

Super Maramu 2000

Hull #275

www.creampuff.us

Currently cruising:  St Augustine FL

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Mark,

I do not but I looked at the Victron BMV-700 Battery Monitor which does fit the same hole as the Link 10. I like its specs, Including monitoring 2 different batteries, but noted that it does not monitor battery temperature.

Wolfgang, my experience with Mastervolt on other boats causes me to lack confidence in the reliability of the Mastervolt brand, so I would chose Victron over Mastervolt.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 5:10 PM, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

The BattMan Lite by Mastervolt looks to be the same as Xantrex LinkLITE Battery Monitor. Even the instructions are the same.

Does anyone have any experience with this unit?

With best regards,

Mark

Super Maramu 2000

Hull #275

www.creampuff.us

Currently cruising:  St Augustine FL

Mark Erdos

Thank you everyone for the help on this.

To close the loop on this thread, I replaced the Link10 with a Xantrex LinkLITE Battery Monitor.

I would have preferred to replace the unit with the Victron BMV-700 Battery Monitor as I think the specs looked better and in my opinion Victron is a more reputable company and the unit was cheaper. I think Xantrex and Mastervolt are one and the same. However, the Victron required new cabling to be run.

The Xantrex fits in the same hole as the Link10, uses the same wiring and wiring configuration, the same size fuses and also uses the same shunt rated at: 500A  50mV

It is much easier to program than the Link10 (but then again programming a Mars rover would be easier than setting up a Link10).

So far, so good. I am now getting negative values when I turn off the battery charger and positive values when I have the charger on; A very good sign. All indications are the Link10 main unit failed.