Topics

SM 209 Main Furler

Gary Wells

Greetings and Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate it.
We just completed passage to the BVIs from Hampton, VA. and while the passage was not uneventful, it worked out well for us and our crew.
Today, however, the main sail furled out about 20% and stopped. Then, no more movement. Clicking at the helm and at the motor, and the breaker is not tripped.
I dropped the motor down, furled the sail manually and had a pretty good jib and jigger run down the Sir Francis Drake channel for a while :)

I am, however, without internet so am wondering if someone could coach me through removal of the motor and disassembly from the gearbox.

I have it down from the mast, but I don't see an obvious way to detach it from the wiring. I pulled the brushes (they are worn, but not excessively) and have removed several screws, nuts and bolts but it doesn't seem to want to disassemble from either end.

Advice is certainly appreciated. As soon as I can get it freed from its wiring I'll run it to a rebuilder.

Thanks in advance,

Gary W
S/V Adagio, SM 209
Tortola, BVI

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Hi Gary:  A little basic trouble shooting with a multimeter may save you some time and effort.  Do be cautious working around the solenoids as they have large current carrying capacity and you can weld things together very easily.  Turn off the breakers to all the furling solenoids before attempting to remove wires.

Using your multimeter, verify that you have voltage at the solenoids (contractor)  when the switch is activated at the helm.  If you have voltage there then another common problem at the motor is a dirty commutator.  Upon disassembly of the motor, use some very fine sand paper to clean up the commutator to a shiny bright copper color.  Also, another common motor problem is a broken magnet that can jam in the housing.

Just some thoughts,

Gary Silver
s/v Liahona   Amel SM 2000   Puerto Rico

Derick Gates

Gary, I know you looked at the brushes, but you may want to be sure that the electrical wires coming from the commutator brushes are intact.  I recently had a broken one that exhibited as a sudden loss of furling after a period of low power furling.

Derick

SM2K#400. Brava
Antigua, Falmoth Harbour