[Amel Yacht Owners] aft lazarette hull plug

Andrew & Kate Lamb

One our SM the plug is just behind the bulkhead on the starboard side in the lazarette in the well where the outboard propeller tends to sit when it is in the lazarette – it is just above the waterline and allows drainage of the lazarette. The plug had a plastic vertical fin to hold to turn, but we found this twisted off and so we fixed a piece of wood screwed from above to give a better hold of the plug. I think someone mentioned in a previous post they found that water came in from around the bolts holding the bumper on when under way and so they re-seating the bumper with sealant which cured the problem.

Andrew

Ronpische

SM2k 472

Canet en Roussillion, France

Sent: Monday, November 30, 2015 5:38 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] aft lazarette hull plug

I'm getting some leakage into the aft lazarette (several quarts over a two month period). I saw some discussion here a few months ago (and can't find it now) about a drain plug on the starboard side in the aft lazarette.  There is a round "thing" that is likely the plug on stb. and near the forward bulkhead.

How does one go about replacing it?  Is this a spare part from Amel?

Why would Amel put a drain plug below the water line? 

Duane
Wanderer -  SM#477

by the way I was curious about the origin of the name "Lazarette", and this is from Wikipedia:

The name derives from the biblical story of "Lazarus". On the old square-rigged sailing ships it was located in the bow of the ship. The original purpose was to store the bodies of important passengers or crew who had died on the voyage, (lesser seamen would be buried at sea). It was a large locker obviously, and was situated at the bow in order that the stench of rotting flesh was blown away from the vessel rather than across the decks. (The wind cannot come from the front of the ship whilst sailing.) All that remains from these origins is that it is still generally the largest locker on a boat, and it's still known as the "Lazarette".

Duane Siegfri

Andrew,

Thanks for your reply.

I didn't find a mention of this plug in the Owners Manual.  Do I understand you to say it is meant to drain the aft lazarette? One just unscrews it, allowing the compartment to drain and then screw it back in?

Duane

Andrew & Kate Lamb

Duane

Yes that is correct – I might add I didn’t do this the first time until I had verified that it was actually above the water line as I had the same thoughts as you!

I don’t think it is mentioned in the owner’s manual

Andrew

Ronpische

SM2k 472

Sent: Monday, November 30, 2015 6:11 PM
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] aft lazarette hull plug

Andrew,

Thanks for your reply.

I didn't find a mention of this plug in the Owners Manual.  Do I understand you to say it is meant to drain the aft lazarette? One just unscrews it, allowing the compartment to drain and then screw it back in?

Duane

Duane Siegfri

I suppose it is possible that the plug is leaking.  Do you recall if it is plastic?  Did it have an O-ring or some other type of seal? 

Duane

Andrew & Kate Lamb

As I recall it is plastic with an O ring around the top before the thread starts

Andrew

Sent: Monday, November 30, 2015 6:18 PM

I suppose it is possible that the plug is leaking.  Do you recall if it is plastic?  Did it have an O-ring or some other type of seal? 

Duane

seafeverofcuan@...

Dear Duane,
                 your plug isn't leaking. It is there to release any water that has gathered in the lowest part of the lazerette, often from your outboard motor.
Best not to remove it when the boat is in the water as it has a very fine plastic thread and it is very difficult to screw the plug back in correctly.
When next checking the lazerette taste the water and establish if it rain water or salt water.
Then you can work backwards and find the cause.
Best regards,
Trevor 
Seafever SM425
Mexico

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Duane,

The plug is above the waterline. I have been aware of it since we have owned BeBe and I have never removed it. There is no need to remove it. I assume that it is there for a purpose other than a drain.

I believe that water gets into the "dead body" compartment a/k/a lazarette from a number of sources:
  • Outboard engine - always some leaks out under sail
  • Leaking lid gaskets
  • Rubber Plug not placed to seal the electrical line slot
  • Leaking seals on the rear bumper
  • Water hose, filters and other items
  • Condensation - in some parts of the world this is a big contributor because that aft bulkhead is not insulated and running heat, A/C, or just a difference in temperature can produce a lot of condensation
I simply use a sponge to remove it. But I understand that Bob Rossi uses a wet/dry vac to suck it out. ;) 

Bill
BeBe 387

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 6:47 PM, seafeverofcuan@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Dear Duane,

your plug isn't leaking. It is there to release any water that has gathered in the lowest part of the lazerette, often from your outboard motor.
Best not to remove it when the boat is in the water as it has a very fine plastic thread and it is very difficult to screw the plug back in correctly.
When next checking the lazerette taste the water and establish if it rain water or salt water.
Best regards,
Trevor 
Seafever SM425
Mexico

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

On Ocean Pearl the plug is central and sufficiently far back to be just above the water ine. However of course when sailing in a seaway the waves slap up under the stern all the time. I assumed when new it was a clever little plug with a one way valve to let water out but not in. Ours let it in so I put a blob of silicone over it and sponge out any water that comes off the out board or other items stored.
Cheers
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl

From: "'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]"
To: "amelyachtowners@..."
Sent: Tuesday, 1 December 2015 8:05 AM
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] aft lazarette hull plug

Duane,

The plug is above the waterline. I have been aware of it since we have owned BeBe and I have never removed it. There is no need to remove it. I assume that it is there for a purpose other than a drain.

I believe that water gets into the "dead body" compartment a/k/a lazarette from a number of sources:
  • Outboard engine - always some leaks out under sail
  • Leaking lid gaskets
  • Rubber Plug not placed to seal the electrical line slot
  • Leaking seals on the rear bumper
  • Water hose, filters and other items
  • Condensation - in some parts of the world this is a big contributor because that aft bulkhead is not insulated and running heat, A/C, or just a difference in temperature can produce a lot of condensation
I simply use a sponge to remove it. But I understand that Bob Rossi uses a wet/dry vac to suck it out. ;) 

Bill
BeBe 387

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 6:47 PM, seafeverofcuan@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Dear Duane,
Best regards,
Trevor 
Seafever SM425
Mexico

sailormon <kimberlite@...>

If The plug in the stern locker is the same as the one in the port bow locker it is a npt thread.

In the bow locker I installed a brass pipe plug with a square head.

Is is easy to remove if necessary. Next time I am on the boat I plan on changing the one in the stern and

Install it wilt silicone.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Monday, November 30, 2015 11:47 AM

One our SM the plug is just behind the bulkhead on the starboard side in the lazarette in the well where the outboard propeller tends to sit when it is in the lazarette – it is just above the waterline and allows drainage of the lazarette. The plug had a plastic vertical fin to hold to turn, but we found this twisted off and so we fixed a piece of wood screwed from above to give a better hold of the plug. I think someone mentioned in a previous post they found that water came in from around the bolts holding the bumper on when under way and so they re-seating the bumper with sealant which cured the problem.

Andrew

Ronpische

SM2k 472

Sent: Monday, November 30, 2015 5:38 PM
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] aft lazarette hull plug

I'm getting some leakage into the aft lazarette (several quarts over a two month period). I saw some discussion here a few months ago (and can't find it now) about a drain plug on the starboard side in the aft lazarette.  There is a round "thing" that is likely the plug on stb. and near the forward bulkhead.

How does one go about replacing it?  Is this a spare part from Amel?

Why would Amel put a drain plug below the water line? 

Duane
Wanderer -  SM#477

by the way I was curious about the origin of the name "Lazarette", and this is from Wikipedia:

The name derives from the biblical story of "Lazarus". On the old square-rigged sailing ships it was located in the bow of the ship. The original purpose was to store the bodies of important passengers or crew who had died on the voyage, (lesser seamen would be buried at sea). It was a large locker obviously, and was situated at the bow in order that the stench of rotting flesh was blown away from the vessel rather than across the decks. (The wind cannot come from the front of the ship whilst sailing.) All that remains from these origins is that it is still generally the largest locker on a boat, and it's still known as the "Lazarette".

Ian Park

It was me that had the substantial ingress in the lazarette. I thought it was the plug (central in the Santorin) and I was able to unscrew it while in the water as it is above the water line when stationary. I also tried changing it withe the identical one in the port side deck life raft locker. Use wide nose pliers seated tightly down over the plug lug when unscrewing. It does not need to be tight! And it wasn't leaking either.
It was the bumper! When sailing the AMEL squats more at the back and a following sea often covers the lower step on the transom. The water pressure forces sea water through the bolt holes on the bumper if there is any play in them. I didn't take mine off or re- seal it, I just emptied the lazarette, lay down with a long extension on a plug spanner and tightened the four bolts. Very easy and dry as a bone ever since!
Hope you fix it as easily.

Ian 'Ocean Hobo' SN96 now in Trinidad

Sent from my iPod