To: amelyachtowners@...
From: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2015 00:37:38 -0800
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Front opening refridgerator

Hello!
I have two questions:
- I like to remove the front opening refrigerator on our SM#259 from 1999 to clean out behind it and clean around the compressor, but I can't find whats securing it, doe's anyone know how to pull it out?
- I think of changing the compressor to a water cooled unit and also the evaporator to save energy and reduce the sound from the fan, does it make sense to do that? I hesitate to buy the new units with drawer as they are very expensive.
Paul on S/Y Kerpa SM#259

Paul Osterberg

Hello! Please send photos, As I'm also changing cooling unit in the Fridge/freezer as well and thinking of building a freezer where the dish washer use to be, all ideas welcome when in the thought process to find good final solutions

Paul on sykerpa at gmail dot com
SM#295

Paul LaFrance <pflafrance@...>

Here is a photo. As you can see the small freezer compartment is replaced by a cooling unit bent to cover the top right and back wall of the existing fridge, then covered with plate to protect it.

Paul
SV Nomad

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2015 05:26:18 -0800

Hello! Please send photos, As I'm also changing cooling unit in the Fridge/freezer as well and thinking of building a freezer where the dish washer use to be, all ideas welcome when in the thought process to find good final solutions

Paul on sykerpa at gmail dot com SM#295

Paul Osterberg

Hello!
Can't find the photo ...
Paul on S/Y Kerpa SM #259 Wintering Finike Turkey

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Paul,

If your fridge is like ours, follow this:

Are you sure that you want a more "efficient" fridge????
  1. A water cooled fridge will get clogged with marine life and fail
  2. A water cooled fridge cannot be operated when out f the water.
  3. One more pump to overhaul.
How much will that efficiency really cost you????

Best,

Bill
BeBe 387

On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 1:26 PM, osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello! Please send photos, As I'm also changing cooling unit in the Fridge/freezer as well and thinking of building a freezer where the dish washer use to be, all ideas welcome when in the thought process to find good final solutions

Paul on sykerpa at gmail dot com
SM#295

sailormon <kimberlite@...>

Hi Paul
Could you send me the photo?
Kimberlite@optonline.net
Fair Winds
Eric
Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2015 05:26:18 -0800

Hello! Please send photos, As I'm also changing cooling unit in the
Fridge/freezer as well and thinking of building a freezer where the dish
washer use to be, all ideas welcome when in the thought process to find good
final solutions

Paul on sykerpa at gmail dot com SM#295

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Paul Osterberg

Hello Bill!

I have several friends who have water cooled fridges and freezers, where they use the fresh water to cool with and they have been very please with that solution. They claim they are very energy efficient. My front opening fridge are working most of the time especially when warm below, and the fan making a lot of noise
My combine fridge/freezer gave up this fall so need a new anyhow. one pump can manage two compressors so automatically one spare if installing two units, the pump are not very expensive either.
Regards
Paul

Ann-Sofie Svanberg <kanalmamman@...>

Hi Bill,
Your statements are true if you use sea water. If you instead use the the fresh water tank, you will not have those problems.
We have used the fresh water to cool our compressors to the two fridge/freeze areas under the sofa since 2008. This year we hade the first pump issue.
We can have as little as 150 l in the tank without getting problems with the cooling.
The system is a closed system from Frigoboat, without any coolant so there is no risk to have the fresh water contaminated. The water is circulated with a circulation pump. The rise of temp in the water tank can barely be measured. It is less than 0.5 C.
We halfed the electricity consumption on the fridge/freeze after the installation.

We have sailed in both warm (tropical) and cold (north europe) and the most benefits are in tropical area where the airtemp can be up to 40 C and the water temp stays at 30 C.
So installing a fresh water cooled system is only benefits. As we see it.

Today we have an estimated consumption over 24 h on the three units (2 fridge 1 freezer) around 116 Ah. We have decreased our total fridge/freeze power consumption with more than 60%.

Regards
Annsofie on S/Y Lady Annila, SM232, 1998.

P.s. We have not attached the kitchen fridge to the water cooling system. We choosed a new Isotherm Compact 2201 ASU compressor with a new evaporator combined with cool holding plate , moved the compressor to the area under the kitchen zink next to the dishwasher. The move increased air circulation and the heat from the compressor does not go directly to the bottom of the fridge which decrease compressor running time D.S.

Skickat från min iPad