Topics

Changes to Yahoo

Gary Wells

I do have web space available and can carve out a standard level PHP forum which would have the features we have been missing.
What I don't know is if the commonly available platforms will import from Yahoo.
If it's something that the majority wants I'd be willing to invest time to get it started then seek a couple of folks to help moderate and administer it.
Have to wait till after Christmas tho :)

Gary W.
SM 209
S/V Adagio

From my DL750 Digicel

From my DL750 Digicel

Gary Wells

Well,  I think it's a much needed evolution anyway.  Having spent time on several really active user forums (from motorcycle to online gaming)  I appreciate a full featured forum.
So that no one frets,  I will grab a couple of domain names and park them quietly for a bit.
I'll try to get a demo shell running in a week or three and we can decide on if it's valuable for the group.   If so I will be pleased to invest some resources to get it running and commit to it for a few years.
Ownership transfer isn't difficult so when the time comes there shouldn't be a continuity concern.
Actually,  for the benefit this group has been I think it's a great chance to contribute.

Gary W.
SM 209 Adagio

From my DL750 Digicel

Rick Grimes

Fabulous, Gary. Thanks for stepping up to take the lead on this. I am happy to pony up some bucks and to give some time as well. Let me know what you might need from me.

Rick Grimes
S/V Rascal
SM2K #404

Duane Siegfri

I would be more than happy to contribute, what a great resource this is!

What about setting it up on something like Patreon.com for ongoing financial support?

Duane
Wanderer, SM#477
Currently Brunswick, GA

Gary Wells

Greetings :)

Been a busy week for us as we had guests aboard and we playing tourist guide through the BVIs.  Not much chance to get anything done until yesterday but I was able to make some additions.

For your review:
All messages from the Yahoo board have been captured through yesterday. I can do that at will and append the document now.
I uploaded and made available all these messages in both .pdf and .html.  You can download them and own the entire Yahoo group dialogue from day one.  It is an immense document and searching it takes a long time on a slow machine.  I think the web document (.html) is faster. Someday, when someone has a week with nothing to do, it would be nice to trim out about 900,000 words of spurious html markup from all these messages.  I think the finished document would be quite manageable then.  Not sure I'm up for that quite yet though.

Per the suggestions made here, I added numerous message boards and photo gallery categories and subs.  I did not go into the granularity that I could have because the bbs software is not exactly simple a filing system. The way it'll work is that is, for instance: Someone comes up with a solid service schedule and posts it under that category.  A moderator will format it and lock that message making it a 'sticky' note that will always be at the top of any other messages. If it needs to be updated, the moderator just unlocks it and the original poster or the moderator can update it. Then it gets re-stick-ified so it always remains first on a search and first on the message list for that topic.

The photo organization will need conventions: any time you post a message and include photos the decision needs to be made whether or not that photo is just incidental to your message (i.e. this is us sailing along with the dolphins) or if it is substantial to the group (i.e. here is the information plate from my Leroy Somer Outhaul Motor).
As I mentioned, there are several levels of the Photo Gallery already so pictures can be sent to the appropriate topic (and new ones made at any time). In addition, individual members in good standing can create their own galleries and just share them to other board members.  Overall, I think the availability of photos and documents will be better and easier to organize than in the the Yahoo group, but until we actually get some content going it's impossible to really see it.
I really like the idea of a naming convention and I think the exhaustive description of the suggested 'directories and sub directories' could be integrated in the file naming conventions.  I will come up with some arbitrary conventions to start with and they can evolve from there.  Ultimately there is no way to enforce naming conventions prior to upload so it will will be incumbent upon the membership to try and make it easy on the rest of us.

I created separate categories for each model boat (again). The beauty of a beta :)  I like the idea that the format will be the same regardless of which model you own or are doing research on. Specs, sailing notes, checklists, parts sourcing and the whole spectrum of needed information should be organized identically for each model.
Having said that, I have not created the sub-boards for any models except Super Maramu/Super Maramu 2000 because it's a bit of a time sink to do so and I await feedback from the group on what is currently available.

If you have a chance, please have a look at the changes and see what you think.

I could be ready to turn it on any time really. I'll just need to make a 'last pull' of the existing messages and make them available.

Thanks again for the suggestions and support.  Now, who is the current moderator of the Yahoo board?

and .. I need a couple of volunteers to try their hand at the role of moderator :)

Gary W.
s/v/ Adagio
Leverick Bay, VG BVI

---In amelyachtowners@..., <gary@...> wrote :

I do have web space available and can carve out a standard level PHP forum which would have the features we have been missing.
What I don't know is if the commonly available platforms will import from Yahoo.
If it's something that the majority wants I'd be willing to invest time to get it started then seek a couple of folks to help moderate and administer it.
Have to wait till after Christmas tho :)

Gary W.
SM 209
S/V Adagio

From my DL750 Digicel

From my DL750 Digicel

alainfeuillet@...

Hello Gary,
as earlier mentionned, I am volunteering to help you for the forum maintenance. If you can explain in a few words what moderation is about ie actions to perform, frequency, rights and duties... thanks in advance.
I may also help for relations with french people... Jean Pierre GERMAIN also I guess, as, both, we are french.
Cheers
Alain ( PILGRILM)

Gary Wells

Hi Alain,

The moderators fundamentally have the right to mess with other peoples' messages.  In a good way :)

It would be important to keep messages in their correct or appropriate categories so moderators can move them between subjects.  The same with pictures and files.
You would have the ability to hide or delete offensive material and send the user a warning.
You would be be to take two or more similar discussion topics and merge them into one for ease of search and likewise if a discussion takes a turn toward a different subject you can split out those posts and create a new topic.
Answering questions, maybe (although in this group I'd never ever expect to) handling a complaint, and deleting any spam.
You can also "lock" topics; meaning no else can add to it until it's unlocked. This will be useful if we have, for instance, a reference topic with a list if part numbers or sources or the like and we need it to not get lost in a discussion. It would only be updated with your consent to keep it clean and relevant.
You can "sticky" a topic, meaning it will always be presented at the top of the topics list, no matter how many additional messages might show up.  A 'stickied' message might contain all the links we need to point to important resources like bow thruster maintenance instructions, Polars, places to get maintenance performed that are familiar with Amels and other data we don;t want to get buried.
You can also set up and handle any Polls (surveys) based on the group's requests.

I'm probably leaving stuff out, but I also need to say that until the board gets up and running full time there will be very little to do except practice.  I'll try to help facilitate that. Once we get a hundred or so people using the board there will be stuff to do and if we have a thousand people it will take enough time that we should bring in two more moderators.

All along, the need to grow topics, expand and refine categories and rearrange the structure is easily handled without losing any data.

Let me know what you think.

Gary W.
SM 209, "Adagio"
BVI

Miles

Thank you Gary for the further explanations.  I have today had the opportunity to spend some time getting to know your new system and I now like it much more even though I had become fond of the old site over the years.  The Yahoo difficulty in searching has been a big frustration and provides, for me, a compelling reason to leave.

Miles

Ladybug

Sm216  on the hard in Newport, RI

Gary Wells

Miles,

Thank you for that.  To me it is kind of like getting a 'smart' phone and  wondering what was wrong with the old one:)  I think the new board has a lot of capability, but as with anything 'new' there will be growing pains and disconnects.  I think this group is unique; different than any other user form I have ever been associated with and that's why I chose to sink my teeth into this project.
I have high hopes that the new format will indeed show itself to ultimately be more user friendly and capable than Yahoo, plus we don't have to worry about some corporate decision that makes groups disappear.

Gary W.
S/V Adagio, SM 209
BVI

Gary Wells

OK< had a couple of requests from folks asking for help to log on or register to log on.

The site is "www dot amelowners dot net"

When the page loads, right below the word "Amel" in the upper left hand corner there are boxes for login name and password.

Below that, at the end of options open to guests, is the word "Register"

As you register, provide the email address where you want your validation email to arrive (this proves that you're a human and not a spam 'bot'.

When you get the email, follow the instruction and then you can use the login and password box to access the member sections of the board.

Click on "Profile" and fill in as much information as you'd care to share with other members about you and your boat.

Let me know via PM (Personal Message) if you have any problems.

Gary W.
S/V Adagio, SM 209
BVI

Gary Wells

Hi all,

Well got kind of busy so let things sit for a bit.  No news, no problems and everything seems ready to go.

I will switch on "Administrator Approval" for new members in a week or so, so existing members here (if they want to) should register ow while the process is a simple email validation.

I did a database backup to be sure it worked and they can be saved off-line to prevent any data loss.

If there is a consensus that folks want to move over now, I realize there are several very active discussions going on.  I have the ability to capture them and will move those over so the reply chain can start on the new board without dropping any of the current messages in the topic.

Looks like we'll e sitting tight for a couple of weeks here in the USVI whilst some paperwork gets handled so it's a good time as far as availability and connectivity for me to work on the board if anything goes weird or can be improved.

Regards,

Gary W.
SM 209, Adagio
USVI

Aras Grinius <n33077@...>

Since Gary has placed alot of effort in to this project, and Yahoo's! intentions are unclear,; I for one, am In favor with the change over. Moreover, the organization should make is easier to find stuff, clear out the old stuff [if there is any].

A clean start, is good I think.  It would be a ashame not to pull the trigger and execute the plan.....

2 cents worth [not including gov't taxes and destination charges]....

Aras
Sharki #163

Gary Wells

UPDATE  on the new site. 02/10/2016

The Yahoo database has been captured and copied into two files.

One is a web-based file (readable and searchable in a browser).
One is a .PDF file (readable and searchable in Adobe Reader or Acrobat.

The base file is a database converted to pure text, thus removing links and advertisements and large fonts, and highlighting and anything else that would slow a search.

The files are large.  50+ Megabytes each:
     17 Million plus lines of data were indexed (a lot of them are blank, just spaces and carriage returns)
     56 Million characters are included in 25,361 messages.
     Messages are ordered by date, as hey were posted.  I was trying to organize them by topics, bit Yahoo doesn't make sense with those key numbers some time and it looked like a LOT of work to get it sorted.

Yahoo injects a large amount of spurious text into the message base, especially the mess of raw html code that we often have to wade through.  In order to reduce the size of the files and the amount of clutter I might ask for a couple of volunteers to take a portion of the source file (.txt) and work through it to remove a few thousand lines of useless text.  I'll make that plea and set up the methodology on the new board.

I looked briefly (again) into trying to replicate the Yahoo database into the new site but I don't see a ready answer. Still searching....

As far as I'm concerned, the new board at "http://www.amelowners.net" is stable and ready for traffic.

I have about a week in St. Thomas to continue to pipe things over.  I CAN import the current message streams, one at a time, to the new board for continuing dialogue.  It would make sense that if I were to do that I would go back say, a couple of weeks and capture the most active topics and bring them across.
After that I would stand down on any support for Yahoo and focus only on the new board's development.

Ready when you are :)

Gary W.
S/V Adagio, SM 209
USVI

svperegrinus@yahoo.com

The new platform looks stable, easy to use, easy to search, and with articles generally well-classified by section (the poster chooses where to post).

I for one will be moving over to

I might pop up here from time to time for old time's sake.

Cheerio,

Peregrinus
SM2K Nr. 350 (2002)
Docked at Real Club Nautico Torrevieja, Spain