[Amel Yacht Owners] Fresh water pump runs constantly.

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

JP,

I wish that you had stated which water pump you have and what pressure the system is achieving....you did not, so my answers are in general terms.

The following is the most likely listed first:
  1. The one-way valve on the pump is not sealing
  2. The pressure switch and/or valve is malfunctioning
  3. The impeller is damaged or not keyed to the shaft.
  4. There is an open line or tap somewhere
Bill
BeBe 387

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 4:50 PM, jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Gang,

I cannot find anything in the "conversations" though I recall it being discussed in the past. (The search function is hidden where???)

As the title says... I suspect it is a pressure sensor problem.  can anyone offer some guidance? Remember my girl is an early hull but most everything aboard is new...

Kind regards,

Jean-Pierre Germain

SY Eleuthera, SM 007

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Hello Amel Gang,

Dumb mistake… DUMB!!

We have Xmas decos on our combing to the port side of the gangway including an extension cord for the individual light strings.

One of the other liveaboards wanted to inspect our new electronic installation and I powered all the cockpit electric busses in order to demonstrate.  Guess what? the extension cord activated the anchor wash water pump switch… (we have fresh water anchor wash thus the pump ran constantly until I witnessed the big red light.)

DOH!

Problem solved. :-)  Thank you Bill… pump type now noted.

Posted by: "Bill & Judy Rouse" <yahoogroups@...>

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

JP,

I did not want to list #4 first out of respect for your knowledge and seamanship. I have made a note to reverse myself next time.

Hahahaha!

Bill
BeBe 387

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 5:53 AM, Germain Jean-Pierre jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi  Bill,

Somehow I knew I would get a ribbing about my mistake..  :-)

Cheers,

Jean-Pierre Germain
SY Eleuthera, SM 007

On 16 Dec 2015, at 08:51, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Peter Forbes

An open tap - Ohoh.

We are in St Lucia - hope you are having fun.

Onan still going well - so far/

Peter
Peter Forbes
0044 7836 209730
Carango  Sailing Ketch
Amel 54 #035
Travelling West in the Atlantic Ocean

On 16 Dec 2015, at 01:53, Germain Jean-Pierre jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Hello Peter,

I followed your trip during the ARC.  Well done getting to St Lucia..  Onan running fine after I corrected various problems caused by.....

I have installed an “impeller blade catcher” in the feed to the heat exchanger and also installed a spring loaded “non return valve” in the raw water feed to the impeller.  No more dry running for the impeller or digging out impeller blades in the heat exchanger.

Hopefully this mod will stand the test of time. :-)

Cheers and Seasons Greetings to you and your wife.

Kind regards,

Jean-Pierre Germain,
SY Eleuthera, Amel Super Maramu 007

On 16 Dec 2015, at 11:38, Peter Forbes ppsforbes@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Posted by: Peter Forbes <ppsforbes@...>

Peter Forbes

Jean-Pierre,

Thank you - I am not doing that mod yet because I think I ma OK but I will check again at Amel Caribies where I will be next week.

We had a good crossing and the Amel is brilliant in every way.

Bon Chance.

On 16 Dec 2015, at 09:07, Germain Jean-Pierre jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

karkauai

Don't feel like you're alone, JP,
I had a crew member cleaning the helm station while I worked on the deck.  She hit the anchor wash switch and didn't recognize it.  I still have a sea water wash, and have put a hose on that pump which is stored in the port locker.  By the time I discovered it, the lockers were filled almost to the top with harbor water.

But then, she was sitting on the water line for a while anyway.

Kent
SM 243
Kristy

On Dec 16, 2015, at 12:53 AM, Germain Jean-Pierre jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you Kent,

We all do some DUMB things from time to time.  I can measure my own as a success story; I do fewer as I grow older

:-)

Cheers,

Jean-Pierre
Eleuthera, SM 007

On 16 Dec 2015, at 15:13, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Porto Turistico Marina di Ragusa, Pontoon M15,
97100 Ragusa, Sicily, Italy
+44 7551 211 511
jp.germain@...

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

JP,

I think that I do more as I grow older.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 4:33 PM, Germain Jean-Pierre jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

No no - an Admiral in the Texas Navy is the wisest man afloat - no growing old there.

On 16 Dec 2015, at 13:15, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Eric Freedman

Dear Jean-Pierre,

I have one of the “Y” traps to catch the impeller blades.

However I found that it was heavy. Do you have a photo or two, that show how you supported or mounted the trap?

Please E-mail to me at kimberlite@... if it is convenient.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

[...]