From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Wednesday, December 30, 2015 4:33 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Glitchy starting Yanmar 100HP

First thing to do is to check, clean, and tighten ALL connections between the battery and starter. A friend of mine who is a diesel mechanic says it the most common problem with a slow starting diesel.
Bob KAIMI SM 429

svperegrinus@yahoo.com

Thank you Eric, Trevor, Mark, Bob, James,

Yes, the engine fails to crank at all in most cases or cranks and locks up after a very tiny fraction of a turn.  If it cranks, then immediately the engine works correctly.

New development: start is now also now being glitchy even when the engine is at operating temperature, even if turned off for just five minutes or so.

Old development, now more curious: the red "STOP" button by the key not always turns off the engine right away when depressed continuously.  Sometimes must lift finger, make a second or even third, long attempt.

I have
- checked all connections I could and used contact cleaner, including the negative to the starter
- tried depressing the button on the isolation solenoid (our solenoid was replaced at La Rochelle 5 months ago).  Oddly, the few times this has been done the engine has started on the second attempt after depressing.  Could be entirely coincidental.
- not checked the battery neg connection on the engine block (located just forward of the starter) as I couldn't reach it and did not want to start disassembling
- not shorted the solenoid on the starter, as I don't know how to do that
- not shorted the isolation solenoid, as I don't know how to do that
- not able to check the square thing (solenoid?) forward of the isolation solenoid

We have ordered two starters from eBay.   One from Germany and one from England.  Three Yanmar dealers in Spain all asked us to call them on Monday, when they would begin to check if Yanmar Netherlands have any in stock, and then it might be 4 to 8 days.

Happy New Year to all,

Peregrinus,
SM2K No. 350
Stuck in Benalmádena until starting issues are addressed

Mark Erdos

Old development, now more curious: the red "STOP" button by the key not always turns off the engine right away when depressed continuously.  Sometimes must lift finger, make a second or even third, long attempt.”

This may not be a coincidence. This button controls the fuel cut solenoid on the fuel injection pump. This is how the Yanmar stops. If this solenoid is sticking, it would cause the engine not to start or problematic shutting down. However, I think your issue is the starter since the engine does not crank properly. Failure to crank should be checked in this order: battery, panel, starter. The panel can be bypassed by using a heavy duty start switch on the starter: http://www.amazon.com/OTC-3650-Heavy-Duty-Remote-Starter/dp/B002YKFA3G  The clamps on this are connected to S terminal (usually a white or white with red stripe wire is there and has to be pulled off to make this connection) and the other is connected to the POS (big) post on the starter. When the button is pushed it will cause the starter and solenoid to engage thus cranking the engine. This is a much safer method than using a screwdriver on the terminals of the starter. Using a screwdriver can cause sparking or worse. It will also damage the screwdriver and may even weld it permanently to the starter terminals. If the engine fails to crank, replace the starter. If the engine does crank, you have an issue in the control panel.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the repair.

With best regards,

Mark

Super Maramu 2000

Hull #275

www.creampuff.us

Currently cruising:  Green Turtle Cay – Abacos Islands - Bahamas

[...]

eric freedman

I would still have someone turn the key to the start position, push down the black button on the gold solenoid and put a pair of normal pliers across the two heavy wires on the starter solenoid. I have started numerous engines like that. It this does not start the engine you probably have a bad solenoid on the starter motor.

Just don’t touch the pliers to the body of the starter motor.

If the motor makes a whizzing sound and does not turn over the engine you have a bad bendix in the starter motor.

It also sounds like you have a bad stop button on the engine panel. Remove the red cap from the stop button and flood it with corrosion x. operate just the button numerous times and see what happens.

There is also another relay – a small black Yanmar one. That control the fuel shut off. , Amel replaced mine in Portugal under warrantee, as I had the same shut off problem.

Just my 2 cents,

Eric