Intermittent bow thruster - Maramu

grahamjcresswell@...

I'm a very new owner of a Maramu and yesterday I had an apparent failure of the bow thruster.  Although it was obvious that the motor was turning, the bow did not respond.  After I got on to my berth (with difficulty - I'm still learning to handle it in reverse!) I tried it again and it worked normally.

Can anyone offer an explanation and, if possible, a course of action. I considered cavitation (unlikely, I think), or the prop slipping on its drive shaft or some foreign object like a plastic bag or piece of weed obstructing the prop.

Can anyone offer other ideas or experience?

Graham Cresswell
SV Jamesby
Maramy #240

seafeverofcuan@...

Graham,
           do you have an audible alarm and light to establish that the bow thruster is fully extended and in place before you try to use it?
Regards,
Trevor
Seafever
SM 425
Mexico

luvkante

Hi Graham,

Just my 2 cents:

Don´t know whether the scheme is the same : on may AMEL 54 I had a broken coupling.
Same beabiour as yours.

Exchanged it and it worked again.
Takes about 2,5 hrs.

Martin
AMEL 54 #149 CHIARA

---In amelyachtowners@..., <grahamjcresswell@...> wrote :

I'm a very new owner of a Maramu and yesterday I had an apparent failure of the bow thruster.  Although it was obvious that the motor was turning, the bow did not respond.  After I got on to my berth (with difficulty - I'm still learning to handle it in reverse!) I tried it again and it worked normally.

Can anyone offer an explanation and, if possible, a course of action. I considered cavitation (unlikely, I think), or the prop slipping on its drive shaft or some foreign object like a plastic bag or piece of weed obstructing the prop.

Can anyone offer other ideas or experience?

Graham Cresswell
SV Jamesby
Maramy #240

luvkante

Hi Graham,,

Just my 2 cents:

Did you check the bowthruster coupling?

Had the same problem on my AMEL 54.

Don't know whether the scheme is the same as on my boat,
But identical behaviour.

MARTIN
AMEL 54 #149 CHIARA

rossny@mail.com

Congratulations on your new boat Graham, Your Maramu bow thruster may not be faulty. A couple of times when backing into a dock, I thought mine wasn't working but it was a really strong cross current. The size of the prop compared to the boat weight and movement sometimes delays the desired result.
Also I was told to only turn on for 10 seconds and then off for 5 seconds because it is not a constant duty motor, maybe some other owners with more experience could add their comments about this.
Happy New Year to All,
Ross in NYC, US
Maramu 1989 #261

Alan Spence

Graham,
I’ve had ongoing issues with the bow thruster on Mango (1986).  The problem has been with the contactors on the relay at the bulkhead near the bow thruster.  I’m getting ready to change out the mechanical contactors with some solid state ones.  You might check to see if this is your problem.

Alan
“Charisma” Mango #62

Sent from Windows Mail