From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Monday, January 04, 2016 10:16 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Onan Generator issue

Yanmar engine working...more to come about the solution later but now dealing with another issue:  I didn't run the Onan genset for a month (sitting at a marina with power).  Just tried it, turns over and runs--then shuts down after about 30 seconds.  Water flowing happily yet yellow light blinking pattern is 7 indicating that is it is a raw water or cooling problem.  Ideas? Thanks!

rickgrimes1@...

Eric. Did exactly as you suggested. The sensor was completely filled with rust except for a pinhole into which some water entered. Steve Davis ("Aloha") came over and removed it, cleaned it, Dremeled off the corrosion, put it back on, and started the generator. Seems to work perfectly now though I'm soon going to buy an extra sensor. Thanks for your advice! Spot on!

Rick and Linda Grimes
"Rascal" SM2K (#404)
Sun Bay Marina
Fajardo, PR

eric freedman

Rick,

Check the sensor on the exhaust( back of the engine}. Mine came apart. If the engine exhaust overheated I would never have known it.

I keep spares for all senders , gaskets, alternators, starters, fuel injectors, radiator caps, pumps, impellers, filters

Custom hoses, and more for both the engine and generator.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Ps you can buy some knurled brass bolts from McMaster Carr and replace the bolts on the yanmar raw  water pump.

Eric. Did exactly as you suggested. The sensor was completely filled with rust except for a pinhole into which some water entered. Steve Davis ("Aloha") came over and removed it, cleaned it, Dremeled off the corrosion, put it back on, and started the generator. Seems to work perfectly now though I'm soon going to buy an extra sensor. Thanks for your advice! Spot on!

Rick and Linda Grimes
"Rascal" SM2K (#404)
Sun Bay Marina
Fajardo, PR

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Rick,

Be sure that the orientation of this sensor is such that debris does not accumulate in the area of the sensor that you cleaned. Its orientation should be that debris fall down rather than falling into.

Bill
BeBe 387