Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Bow thruster shaft stuck

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Kent & Derick,

Bill
BeBe 387

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 3:57 PM, karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Derick,

As usual I'm having trouble finding the pic of the bow thruster removal tool.  Do you know where to find it?

Mine has always come apart easily, but it sounds like something it would be nice to have aboard.
Thanks,
Kent

eric freedman

Bill,

Looks pretty simple to make.

Eric

As usual I'm having trouble finding the pic of the bow thruster removal tool.  Do you know where to find it?

Mine has always come apart easily, but it sounds like something it would be nice to have aboard.

Thanks,

Kent

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Yes, any machine shop should be able to make this.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 5:43 PM, sailormon kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill,

Looks pretty simple to make.

Eric

As usual I'm having trouble finding the pic of the bow thruster removal tool.  Do you know where to find it?

Mine has always come apart easily, but it sounds like something it would be nice to have aboard.

Thanks,

Kent

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Magnificent, How very Amel. As with all pullers, when its loaded up tapping with a hammer helps the release.

 Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl

As usual I'm having trouble finding the pic of the bow thruster removal tool.  Do you know where to find it?

Mine has always come apart easily, but it sounds like something it would be nice to have aboard.
Thanks,
Kent

karkauai

Thanks Bill.  Pretty simple tool that could be easily made by any machine shop.
Kent

On Jan 5, 2016, at 12:33 PM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Kent & Derick,

Bill
BeBe 387

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 3:57 PM, karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Derick,

As usual I'm having trouble finding the pic of the bow thruster removal tool.  Do you know where to find it?

Mine has always come apart easily, but it sounds like something it would be nice to have aboard.
Thanks,
Kent

francesringley@...

Thanks everyone for their input. Just an update for future reference of the group.

Without the tool, I couldn't remove the shaft. So I went back in the water and used the hacksaw per Craig's idea. I sawed across boltholes until eventually the remains of the prop and the hub came off (being careful as Bill of BeBe reminded me). Then I cut a slot in each of the mangled bolts that were left and unscrewed them. (Sidenote - one of the screws that was left intact was the metal alignment screw. Someone had obviously left this in and didn't replace it with the nylon screw. Leaves me to believe that this might have been the source of why the prop/screws didn't come off like they are supposed to). Last, I locked Vicegrip pliers on one end of the thrupin. Then using a punch, I hammered the other end until it came out. This took a while and when it was finally came out, it was bent.

After that, the installation of the new hub, pin and prop was very straightforward.

Special thanks to Mark and Cindy aboard Cream Puff here in Green Turtle Cay for their guidance along the way.

Now, back to the martinis!

Ian