[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: thru hull maintenance

karkauai

I've never had anything other than a little soft growth in my sea chest and manifold.  If I had a lot of hard growth, I'd try to suck the bulk of it out (after BB treatment) with a wet/dry vac in an effort to save my impellers.
Kent

On Jan 5, 2016, at 5:24 PM, william_maffei@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Great!!! Should I be worried about all the crud that comes off flowing through the system after the BB has had time to work?

william_maffei@...

Thanks for all the suggestions!!! Just to be clear, there is minimum to no growth in the sea chest itself. The growth (and blockage) is below the seacock. When I do clean this I have to open the seacock and scrub below the ball valve to open it up. After it opens up seawater refills the sea chest and I have to shut it off to avoid overflow when it is unclogged and the cover is removed. Now, I know why the previous owner kept a toilet brush in the engine room.

Just a quick question, is it okay to run the engine while the cover is off the sea chest while I am trying to run BB through the raw water systems?

Thanks,

Bill Maffei
SM #195
It's all Good

karkauai

Yes, Bill,
It's a two-person job.  One person has to be ready to turn the engine off if you can't keep up pouring the BB into the chest.

One gallon of Barnacle Buster is diluted in 4 gallons of water.  It's easier to pour from smaller 1-2gal jugs than from a 5 gal bucket.  I use 5 gal for each engine and 2 1/2 gal for the A/C pump.

Kent

On Jan 5, 2016, at 9:26 PM, william_maffei@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions!!! Just to be clear, there is minimum to no growth in the sea chest itself. The growth (and blockage) is below the seacock. When I do clean this I have to open the seacock and scrub below the ball valve to open it up. After it opens up seawater refills the sea chest and I have to shut it off to avoid overflow when it is unclogged and the cover is removed. Now, I know why the previous owner kept a toilet brush in the engine room.

Just a quick question, is it okay to run the engine while the cover is off the sea chest while I am trying to run BB through the raw water systems?

Thanks,

Bill Maffei
SM #195
It's all Good

Richard Piller <richard03801@...>

Hi Bill next you haul out to do the bottom get the old toilet you never use any way and do a good job of cleaning the intake line to the sea chest. Then while painting the bottom take a the rag you wipe out the can with on a stick and paint the in take. Do the same with the other salt water intakes. But use a bottle cleaner brush.
Smooth sailing. We are back in Newport.

Regards
Capt Richard Piller