[Amel Yacht Owners] Combination anchor tri color light

Mark Erdos

Hi will,

The tri-color and anchor lights are 24v. We had to replace the original unit. The original unit is held on with two (or three) threaded screws. Pull the light upward and this will unplug it from the base. Look down into the base and you will see the screws. Undo the screws and tie off the wires before cutting them. I had to remove a lot of silicone to get to the screws and also the base unit had silicone between it and the mast top.

As far as a recommendation for a replacement. I’m sorry. I can’t help there. I replaced our unit with: mast-top tri-color w/Anchor light Series 34 LED model 34706-7 . This unit turned out to be a piece of $*&#. We have just blown out our second unit in less than a year (still under warranty). The anchor light works but the tricolor goes off after about a second of being powered up. The voltage (even with a charger on) is well within their specifications. I have since seen on other forums that others are having issues with the Aquasignal products. So at this point, I am looking at anything but Aquasignal.

If you research a replacement unit and find something worthwhile, please post.

With best regards,

Mark

Super Maramu 2000

Hull #275

www.creampuff.us

Currently cruising:  Green Turtle Cay – Abaco Islands - Bahamas

Does anyone know if the mast head combination anchor and tri colored light is 12 or 24 VDC on the SM? My anchor and tri color has stopped working and I am considering replacing the unit has anyone removed the combo light that could describe how it is attached at the masthead?

Thanks,

Will Stout
SM180
Anni Bea True
St Martin, FWI

Craig Briggs

---In amelyachtowners@..., <mcerdos@...> wrote :

.....So at this point, I am looking at anything but Aquasignal.

  If you research a replacement unit and find something worthwhile, please post.

  With best regards,

  Mark

  Mark and others - I'd highly recommend the OGM (Orca Green Marine) line.  The intensity and frequency of the light make its visibility fantastic.

  We've got the TriColor/Anchor/Strobe/Photodiode (automatic anchor on-at-dusk off-at-dawn) combination model LXTA-SP. It's designed for 10 to 28 volts, (no DC voltage regulator needed) and draws only 0.33 amps at 12v (that's 0.16 at 24v on a SM.)

  They list for $419US ($399 without the photodiode, but you'll want the photodiode) and you need their $49 switch and $40 bracket. Website is orcagreen dot com and they sell through the usual channels (West Marine, Defender's, etc.)

  Installation is easy. Simply drill and tap (or thru-bolt) the bracket to the mast head plate, splice the supplied connector to the existing wires (using the +'s from the anchor and tricolor circuits and a -) and plug it in. The switch easily fits next to the existing panel.

  Company is small and was very responsive after our first one was fried by lightning. Understandably no guarantee for that but company owner Meghan Matthews gave me a good discount on a replacement.

Cheers,  Craig Briggs, SN#68 Sangaris

Mark Erdos

Craig,

Thanks for this referral. I had looked at these but was unsure about the voltage. On the resellers sites it list voltage specs as 9-16 vdc.

On the OGM website it lists voltage specs as 10-28 vdc. Did you use a step down transformer or voltage stabilizer for your 24v installation?

[...]

Hi Mark,
Yes, I've seen that too, but I'm sure the Manufacturer's specification of 10 to 28 volts is correct and the resellers have mistakenly posted it as 12 v through lack of familiarity with the product.

I noticed a couple of resellers even copied the manufacturer's spec of 10-28v onto their sites and then added their own incorrect spec of 12v.

If you're uncomfortable with the info just contact Meghan Matthews, the owner of OGM, through the website.

I used no voltage stabilizer (the SN is 12v, so transformer not an issue).

[...]

Siviero Attilio <attilio.siviero@...>

Also NASA Marine, in Europe, has a product like this, see at http://www.nasamarine.com/proddetail.php?prod=Supernova, much less expensive. I have it, not fitted yet.

Attilio & Maria Siviero
Amel Santorin#84 “Sisila” in Rhodes

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

[...]

pepinoamel <no_reply@...>

Hi Attilio

An unrelated question: are you staying in the new marina in Rhodes?  We would like to stay there over winter next year.

Thanks for any info.

Gerhard Hoffmann

Pepino SM381

Evia, Greece

eljaroellinghoff@...

Siviero Attilio <attilio.siviero@...>

Dear Gerhard,
I reached Rhodes after a long summer cruise from Porto Karras (Halkidiki) to Kastellorizo, my intention was to leave Sisila (Amel Santorin #84) in Leros, but I was not able to reach the Marina, neither one, due to strong Northern winds I had last week of holidays, therefore I left the boat in Rhodes. Mandraki was too crowded and the fact that it is inside the old town made me some issues on security, Rhodes New Marina was available and convenient enough, a bit more than 10€/day for in water winterizing, a bit expensive for the services provided. The problems are that the Marina is actually still a construction site, but security is assured. Services are limited to a toilet, no lifting facilities neither the possibility to leave the boat on the hard. Also, when North winds blow for several days, a huge swell interest the boats, in fact a protection jetty is under construction at the entrance. The solution is to keep the boat some 3-4meters from dock, to be safe. This way the boat is accessible only with the tender. The Marina personnel, anyhow, is conscious of these limitations, and provides great help for safe mooring and custody.
In February or so I will move the boat to the boatyard Nereus (www.nereusboatyard.com mail nereus@...), they have a huge new travellift, even if the yard is extremely crowded, you have to book well in advance. Marina personnel offered to move the boat on my behalf.
In noonsite.com you will find on the new Rhodes Marina similar considerations
hope this helps

Attilio & Maria Siviero
Amel Santorin#84 "Sisila"