Rudder Anode

Duane Siegfri

I bought the standard R5 "trim tab" anode and the bolt is pretty small compared to the present bolt - about 1/2" according to the diver.

Can someone give me a source for a suitable anode?

Duane

Wanderer SM477

Alan Leslie

I buy the standard R5 anode, take out the small bolt that comes with it and countersink and drill the hole out to take the Amel bolt. I carry a spare set already modified ready to go.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse
SM437

Duane Siegfri

Alan,

I assumed that's what most would do and I assume it's easy enough to accomplish.

One of the anode suppliers noted there was a stainless steel nut embedded in one of the halves.  That would be a bit tougher drilling.  Do you recall what size of drill bit was used?

I am also wondering how the electrical connection is made.  Is it through the stainless bolt and the metal sleeve in the rudder?  Or is it contact between the end of the sleeve to the anode?  Both of these seem less than sure things and would warrant a bit of 1000 grit wet dry paper to improve the electrical conductivity.

Duane

Alan Leslie

Duane,
I will be on the boat tomorrow,,,I'll measure the hole...
The stainless nut just pushes out with the bolt...no need to drill it out
Cheers
Alan
Elyse
SM437