[Amel Yacht Owners] SSB Grounding

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Hi Paul,

I think you’ll find it in the aft lazarette on the starboard side.  Its’ there in Eleuthera.

GL

Jean-Pierre Germain,
SY Eleuthera, Amel Super Maramu 007

On 14 Jan 2016, at 09:25, osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello!

Trying to locate the wire who connect the ground plate for the SSB grounding, according to a manual I found in the file section it should be behind the chart table, but I can't find anything that could be the grounding wire.

Any one who know where to look for it?

our SM is number 259 from 1999.

When looking for the ground wire I found two green electrical gadgets, size like two lumps of sugar market Cartier, I post photo of them in he photo file, would very much like to know what it is and what's for

Thank you

Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259

Paul Osterberg

Thank you Jean-Pierre
It's the Copper band protruding for ca 10 cm before it's "disappear" again into the hull.
Now I can't find any cable attached to it, and assume just to hook up a SSB Ground cable to it?
However according to the Manual there should be a "normal" ground cable to disengage but can't find any
Any one who know?
Paul

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Hi Paul,

It is indeed the ground cable.

I am not on the boat now but can assure you that something is attached to it.  It may be the ATU or the antenna.. not sure..

GL

JPG

On 14 Jan 2016, at 10:59, osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thank you Jean-Pierre

It's the Copper band protruding for ca 10 cm before it's "disappear" again into the hull.
Now I can't find any cable attached to it, and assume just to hook up a SSB Ground cable to it?
However according to the Manual there should be a "normal" ground cable to disengage but can't find any
Any one who know?
Paul

kimberlite@...

Paul Osterberg

Thank you!
Do you or anyone else know where the thick  (the thickest of man yellow and green ca 8 mm in diameter) yellow and green ground cable ends? it goes from a ground point behind the chart table after on starboard side and dissiperar  through the last bulkhead in to the after lasarett, then I have not yet been able to trace where it goes. But can it be connected with the copper ground strip for the SSB radio? or the zink anode?
According to one manual i found on the forum
"the SM 2000 has got in standard two ground plates on the rudder, used by the SSB system. If the boat hasen't got any SSB theses ground plates are connected to the zink anodes. When setting up a SSB, disconnect the ground plates of the anodes (behind the chart table)"
I guess the thick yellow and green ground is connected with either the ground plates or the Zink anodes.
Any light on this subject is highly apreciated
Paul on S/Y Kerpa SM2K #259

Mark Erdos

Paul,

Behind the chart table there is a green/yellow wire marked BLU. Without the SSB this cable is connected to the SSB grounding plate on the rudder and also to the ships boding system (zincs). When a SSB is added the ground for the SSB must be isolated from the ships bonding system. To do this, disconnect the wire behind the nav station. On Cream Puff there was a blank terminal to use.

Once you have installed your SSB, it is a good idea to check the resistance between the SSB ground and the ships bonding system. There should not be a connection.

With best regards,

Mark

Super Maramu 2000

Hull #275

www.creampuff.us

Currently cruising: Marsh Harbour – Abaco Islands - Bahamas

[...]

Thank you, find the BLU, blank terminal, I also have a circuit beaker at the side of the chart table market BLU as well. Is BLU a spare breaker/terminal for general use?
Paul

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Hi Paul,

BLU is “froggie” for HF… it is not a general use CB

Cheers,

On 17 Jan 2016, at 09:55, osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thank you, find the BLU, blank terminal, I also have a circuit beaker at the side of the chart table market BLU as well. Is BLU a spare breaker/terminal for general use?

Paul

Paul Osterberg

Thank you then I'm on the right track in my installation
Paul

Mark Erdos

Yes. There is a dedicated 20amp breaker for the SSB in the hanging locker by the nav station. This should go to the terminal label BLU. The SSB should be the only item on this circuit. From the terminal, you connect your 24v-12v step down isolated transformer and then connect the SSB to the transformer. I had a hard time finding an isolated transformer rated high enough for the power draw of the SSB. There are several discussions on this forum regarding this subject.

With best regards,

Mark

Super Maramu 2000

Hull #275

www.creampuff.us

Currently cruising:  Marsh Harbor – Abaco Island – Bahamas