[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: 24 volt charger on Yanmar quit working causing DC panel light to indicate fault

Ben and Gayle Super Maramu #347

Will,
My unit is original Amel so don't think it was Balmar but not sure.  Unit was spray painted silver which covered label so need to do some investigating to determine which unit I have.  I'm still looking for fuse and regulator location.
Regards,

Ben Driver
La Bella Vita
SM #347

On Jan 18, 2016, at 5:16 PM, tango708@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Ben, Is your alternator a Balmar?  If so I believe that it is externally regulated.  I have experienced a couple of broken wires on my unit that were very easy to repair.  They were not Balmar problems but the result of bad crimps when installed.  Also, my unit does have an inline fuse.

Regards,
Will Stout
Anni Bea True
SM180
Marina Fort Louie
St. Martin, FWI

Richard03801 <richard03801@...>

HI put your volt meter on current test are you out putting from the alternator to the house battery? If no most likely your alternator is shot. 100 amp replacement that had a smart regulator. This guy can get you a new
+1 (207) 703-9939

Fair Winds Smooth Sailing To All
Capt Richard
RP Yacht Brokerage
Newport RI
We list sell and service fine yachts including Amel's
Cell 603 767 5330

On Jan 18, 2016, at 17:37, Ben Driver/YAHOO joedoakes66@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

greatketch@...

Alternators are very rarely so destroyed that they can't be rebuilt far more economically that a replacement.  Find a local alternator/starter rebuild shop.  You'll find they can certainly test your unit and see if it's the alternator and very likely get you going again if you need new diodes, brushes, etc.  Most alternators can be rebuilt from a fairly small set of common stock parts.

If you don't have a copy of Nigel Calder's book "Boatowner's Mecanical and Electrical Manual", DO get one.  He has a very simple and logical flow chart in there for troubleshooting a charging system that you can do with just a handheld multimeter safely and efficiently.

Ben and Gayle Super Maramu #347

I will get that book.. Someone else recommended it as well.

Ben Driver
La Bella Vita
SM #347