Vinyl overhead covering

Jeff Wingfield <ki4jde@...>

In several places, the vinyl covering on the overhead is not adhering to the structure. Has anyone found an effective adhesive to repair/correct this condition?

Jeff
LAST TANGO

phil.berghmans <no_reply@...>

hi jeff,

In my eyes and experience their is  one product that will do the job. Sikaflex, 5200 or i
used polyurethane adhesive . all the other (expensive adhesives will not hold over time.

don't buy the expensive sprays adhesives off 3M ,i spend over 300euros and after 2 months everything came down again. very frustrating i can tell you

I did it with polyurethane in 2009 in Las palmas and the boot has been in the tropics since and everything still
perfect.The polyurethane tubes were 5 euros a piece.

The reason why sika or simular products hold is that they are flexible, in the day the deck can  be more
then 50°c in the night it cools down to maybe 20°C a non flexible glue doesn't hold this.

You have different materials headlining ,glue,polyester,wood balsa they all work different so

I am very happy with what we did (messy job btw)

good luck

phil
miles ahead

santorin 101

ps i can tell you how we did it iff you like

jjjk12s@...

Jeff,

I would recommend 3M autotrim spray adhesive as an alternative to sikaflex on the basis it is much less messy to work with and in my experince has been fine.

I've redone all my headliner twice. argghhh Both times with 3M spray adhesive but the first time with locally sourced vinyl. That gave up after a year in the tropics. The second time I used Naugahyde brand vinyl with non-migrating plasticisers. The problem with vinyl coming down is not just about the glue. The problem in hot weather is also the plasticisers in the vinyl migrating into the glue to turn it into a gooey mess. Naugahyde with 3M has been great for the past two years with my boat based in a hot and humid place with the deck often too hot to walk on in bare feet.

A previous owner of my boat did partial vinyl repairs with sikaflex and it was a total pain to remove.

My only caveat would be whether the original vinyl has fully non migratory plasticisers, which may be Phil's experience.

John, Maramu #91 Popeye